PC's Better year

Peter Connan

Elsa Hoffmann

@xelas Funny you should mention Klaas. I got ONE shot yesterday morning - and then yesterday afternoon found it again in my tree while being fed. It was here again this morning - and as I told Peter earlier - then there were THREE! Never seen them before - nevermind 3 sitting within 2 feet of one another. I very much doubt they will be around but who knows?? But I have a Pied Kingfisher here every day - thats kind of guaranteed :)

@xelas, i doubt it. Hopefully there will be another, as they apparently breed for quite a long seaon.

Thank you very much @PeterHG.

@xelas, I can almost guarantee that once you have visited Elsa, and experienced her guiding skills, I will not be "hired" as a guide again.

200 at last) Woodland Kingfisher

Bosveldvisvanger Halcyon senegalensis

The campsite was filled with them. Their calls filled the air almost constantly, and I often saw three or more in a single tree. As usual though, I struggled to get close...

WoodlandODP.thumb.jpg.df6064b62255c87aadfccbd9b88189a5.jpg

Woodland2ODP.thumb.jpg.2ca42ac9f7b39acd49da1e56b73b10a1.jpg

17/18 November, Rust de Winter

201) Bearded Woodpecker

Baardspeg

Dendropicos namaquus

BeardyODP.thumb.jpg.369f51167f4fae2354d2ba97af794bd8.jpg

17 Nov, Rust de Winter

Dave Williams

Well done on hitting the 200.Living in South Africa has it's disadvantages when it comes to BY.... why would you want to travel anywhere else!

Thanks @Dave Williams

Considering that some of the places I go to have got bird lists far in excess of my count in very small areas (Marievale for instance is a couple of square kilometers and have a bird list in excess of 350), I should probably be able to do better even without travelling,

Whatever the case may be, I do enjoy the time spent searching for new birds, and the challenge of trying to get decent photos to share.

202: Pearl-spotted Owl

Witkoluil

Glaucidium perlatum

Walking around in the campsite early in the morning (still before sunrise), I came across a tree with some unknown noises eminating from the upper branches. Searching and sercahing, I noticed about four little fluff-balls rather high up. A few high-ISO, low SS shots gave me an inkling, and I waited right there untill the sun came up, taking a couple of shots every 5 minutes or so. Of course, they buggered off before the sunlight caught up with them...

PearlyODP.thumb.jpg.832f8b57934af531f7a3a7d9674a5966.jpg

18 November, Rust de Winter

Edited by Peter Connan

@Peter Connan

well done on reaching the magic 200! It has been a real pleasure following your progress with beautiful birds an excellent photos throughout.

Thank you very much @TonyQ

Congratulations on #200 Peter - the Woodland Kingfisher is one of my favourites. An excellent choice for this post. I also have enjoyed your thread a lot over this year.

Thank you very much @michael-ibk, I appreciate the kind comment.

Well done on the #200. Nice bird to do it with too.

Congratulations on #200; I know there will be more :o ... 

Thank you @Tdgraves, @Galana and @xelas

Indeed...

203) Red-chested Cuckoo

Piet-my-vrou Cuculus solitarius

This year is only the second time I have seen this bird, but I saw it twice, in different locations. Neither time was it being particularly co-operative  though.

PietmyVrou1ODP.thumb.jpg.7ee82a4637f299be1f64c47404f0dc00.jpg

PietmyVrou2ODP.thumb.jpg.567a8674d54974d01afc61b88cccba9c.jpg

18 Noivember, Rust de Winter

PietMyVrouODP.thumb.jpg.599be5c67aba726f5c7f0d85bd813206.jpg

24 November, Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens, Roodepoort

You got enough for a positive ID and that's what counts. It is often the 'easy' birds that prove so darned hard when you want them. Twice to Africa this year and I have not even heard one!

Congratulations on breaking 200 @Peter Connan 

I'm still a bit behind you but there are 3 weeks to go.

Thanks @Galana and @Soukous.

That is true, and with me only re-visiting places I have visited fairly recently, you probably stand a good chance of beating me.

Another set of somewhat marginal shots. The D3 is still a fantastic camera if you can get close, but a bit marginal if you can't...

204) Violet-backed Starling

Witborsspreeu Cinnyricinclus leucogaster

Male:

Violet1ODP.thumb.jpg.e475a7cbee174248cc8cbe7a3a5fe850.jpg

Violet2ODP.jpg.20cb3d1031a8886a533ef6c220e87140.jpg

Female:

Violet3ODP.thumb.jpg.f6d2d989f7ad1e22e4515764ecbff579.jpg

Edited by Peter Connan

A little bird whispered that D3 will soon be relegated to "second violin" role :D.

Indeed @xelas, just another handful of D3 birds to come first!

Nothing wrong with that Violet-backed Starling. Great colouring. Nice female too. I remember puzzling for ages what the heck they were when I saw my first ones.

Thank you @Galana.

Caught me out a couple of times too.

And now, for post #400, I am going to allow myself one true EBC. Just because it's a bird I have never seen before.

Unlike all the other birds from this location, this was not shot in the campsite, but was on the actual 4x4 trial. As a result, I had the wrong lens (24-120) on the camera, and no time to change. The sighting itself wasn't actually that bad.

205) Jacobin Cuckoo

Bontnuwejaarsvoel Oxylophus jacobinus

Jacobin1ODP.thumb.jpg.8b427b5d7594d1368b0c1fdd8fdb3017.jpg