The_Norwegian

nikon 70-200 f4

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone of you use this lens and have any opinions of this? I`m contemplaiting this lens for this years Namibia-trip, i aim to lighten my photobackpack a little this year as airlines get more and more strict with handluggage-weight. My kit this year will consist of a D500, and either one more D500 or a D750, i haven`t made up my mind yet wich to buy. Lenswise the sigma 150-600 sport will be doing some hard work, and as mentioned the 70-200 f4 is under consideration. I think this will be a pretty good setup and give me a little more ease of mind, handluggage weight-wise than last year lol. Should be interesting to hear from someone who have used the lens in question on safari! 

Edited by The_Norwegian

@xelas, where are you?

If I may be so bold, if you are at all interested in landscapes, then the D750 is the camera and Namibia is the country.

1 person likes this

I would agree that for the landscapes of Namibia, you definitely want a full-frame. A D500 for wildlife with a D750 for landscape is the perfect match-up. Unless of course you can spring for the D810 ;)  The D810 replacement is being announced soon so the D810 should fall in price.

I can't offer any info on the lens, though...I still use the original 70-200 2.8 VR which I love.

yeah, i know fullframe is "better" for landscape. I write "better" because is really comes down to what kind of images of the landscape one want, and what one have in the camerabag of wideangles. I travelled with two fullframes to Namibia last year, and although i`m sure this years trip also will see its fair share of sand-dune wideangles, I am focusing more on close-up details this year, i reckon the dunes haven`t shifted all that much in one year, and i have more wideangle dune-pictures on my harddrive than i ever will edit and use, but as it turned out, far to few close-ups and details-pictures. so that isn`t the main reason i consider the d750. It`s more noise-related really, and the fact that it is a good chunk of money cheaper then the d500. We`ll see. Now i am used to the d500 so having two of them would make life very easy. And taking into consideration that the majority of the trip we`ll be in Erindi and Etosha again for wildlife, the d750 is a couple of horses heads behind its smaller-sensor brother. 

And now i just realized, the thread was supposed to be about the 70-200 f4 :-D Anyone with something they like to share about that lens? 

1 person likes this

I know @xelas uses and loves this lens. I tried to invite him to comment here, but seems he missed my invitation. Perhaps send him a PM?

no rush at all. before november :-D 

Hi. Indeed I own 70-200 f/4, and it is a very versatile lens. It has reacher colour rendition then my 200-500 probably due to nano coating of the front element. It is very light and relatively compact. It does work well with both TC14 and TC17. Used it on D7200 and on D610, last trip it was used on D610 for larger mammals. For the price it is an excellent lens.

One word about 150-600; I think is a great lens to be used on a full frame body but at 600 mm its fov on crop sensor is too narrow, or better, it lures the photographer into thinking she/he is close enough to the subject but in reality, there is way too much "air" in between.

While D500 is a great action body, I would not go to Namibia without a full frame body.

3 people like this

Thanks for your answer xelas! :-) regarding 150-600 and crop, if i understand you correct you are talking about the problem with heathaze taking pictures over a distance? In that case I agree with you, it`s a pain in a certain place :-P Already at 400mm on fullframe it shows, so i am not planning on using 600mm much over distance, but i do see some great possibilities on shorter distances for lions etc, especially at Erindi. I will most likely purchase the 70-200 f4, it is a lens that makes sense to me. I haven`t decided on the second camerabody yet, no rush.

I have the lens although I haven't used it on safari yet.  The sharpness is great, good colour and contrast, VR is very good, and of course it's weight and size is preferable to the 2.8 for travelling.  The only downside for me is the out of focus areas are not as nice as the various 2.8 versions, but it's not unpleasant and I can live with it as an enthusiast photographer.  I'll have the 200-500 and this lens with me for my next trip to Kenya/Tanzania in February 2018 and I think it's a good set up.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I also own the Nikon 70-200 f4

The results are consistently excellent - barring human incompetence.

My one gripe with this lens is that - for me at least - the zoom ring and the focusing ring are wrongly placed.

The zoom ring is closest to the camera body with the focusing ring closer to the front of the lens. 

This means, for me at least, that in order to adjust the zoom I need to remove my left hand from its natural position near the front of the lens. This makes the lens a bit awkward for me in use. 

I am far more likely to use the zoom ring than the focus ring in most situations as the autofocus is very good indeed. 

Edited by Soukous
1 person likes this

I'm another owner and fan of the 70-200 F4. It was the first Nikon lens I bought (even before I had a Nikon camera).  I use it on a D7100 (when I'm not using my 300mm F4 PF).  It was a great combo for my 1st trip to Laikipia photographing the wild dogs.

Posted (edited)

thanks for all your input everyone! Have not pulled the trigger on the lens yet, but something will be bought before i head south in november. Just have to pay the rest of the trip first, before i buy more gear ;-)  It would be cool if you would post a couple of pictures here taken with the lens btw, if you want :-)

Edited by The_Norwegian