Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tusker

Have you ever been scared on Safari??

55 posts in this topic

Thank you @Whyone? and @DjungelI have just decided against doing the canoe trip in Lower Zambezi when we are there in a few weeks! :o

janzin. I dont think you have to stop your canoe trip in Zambezi.  I went with a small boat very close to hippos in Zambezi and that was no problem at all. Its only in very smal rivers (less than 20 meters) the hippos are afraid and can do harm. Going with canoe in the small rivers of Botswana and Zambia is extremely nice.

My story is fairly similar.  Two years ago we were just finishing up a several hour canoe trip on the Zambezi in Mana Pools.  Our guide was really careful to avoid spots with hippos but apparently one with a calf was underwater.  We were attacked from beneath without any warning.  We had two canoes.  The one with my daughter and son took the brunt of the attack with mama hippo taking a large bite out of the canoe which quickly began to sink.  The guide on that canoe was thrown into the water and was panicking.   We managed to grab hold of the other canoe and get to shallow water while the guide swam for it.  Luckily the mama hippo only took one swipe at us.  Needless to say my daughter (her first safari) was pretty shaken and is no longer a fan of hippos.  How my son managed to keep the expensive camera equipment he was carrying out of the water is still amazing to me. 

According to the guide that had been on the river for 25 years, this was only his third attack he had seen.    So I wouldn't hesitate to go on a canoe ride again but not going to happen for my daughter.  

3 people like this

4 hours ago, soleson said:

My story is fairly similar.  Two years ago we were just finishing up a several hour canoe trip on the Zambezi in Mana Pools.  Our guide was really careful to avoid spots with hippos but apparently one with a calf was underwater.  We were attacked from beneath without any warning.  We had two canoes.  The one with my daughter and son took the brunt of the attack with mama hippo taking a large bite out of the canoe which quickly began to sink.  The guide on that canoe was thrown into the water and was panicking.   We managed to grab hold of the other canoe and get to shallow water while the guide swam for it.  Luckily the mama hippo only took one swipe at us.  Needless to say my daughter (her first safari) was pretty shaken and is no longer a fan of hippos.  How my son managed to keep the expensive camera equipment he was carrying out of the water is still amazing to me. 

This isn't helping :(:rolleyes:

2 people like this

@janzin...depending on where you are staying in the lower Zambezi when we were at Chiawa, our canoe trip was in a channel.  When we ran into hippos, the guides just had us go over to the side and wait to see where the hippos would go.  Sometimes we stayed on the side a good while but eventually when it came up it, we would find out where it was going.  Then we proceeded.  It gives great viewing of birds.  My husband was in one canoe with a guide and I was in another.  The funny thing is before we started my guide asked me if I could swim!  It is a good experience....hope I am helping!

2 people like this