Game Warden

New to the front page... "Latest Trip Reports"

19 posts in this topic

I've been working on a Latest Trip Reports slider for the front page, which displays image links to the latest trip reports - I've set the default to show all trip reports, Africa, India and Worldwide.

However, it will only show a latest trip report if it has an image embedded in its first post. So, if you are starting a new trip report, don't forget to post at least one image in the first post.

Let me know what you think: I'm still working on it, @JohnR has been testing it across various platforms and browsers - it's my intention to have it stretching across the full width of the site, under the top banner navigation, but I've got it working and linking now, so that's the first step...

Matt

7 people like this

like it!

@Game Warden A great idea and working well on my laptop (Mac and Safari)

looks great! It also means that one should pay attention to the first few words of one's trip report title...it would be best if it's descriptive of place...because only the first few words show up in the slider, so for instance on my TR you really don't know what country it's from.

2 people like this

Okay, so who is going to start posting a new photographic trip report to test out the new slider bar? (Note, I've also added it to the New Content page and Trip reports page: I may well do a seperate one for Africa, India and Worldwide to be placed on the relevant subforum pages...)

20 minutes ago, Game Warden said:

Okay, so who is going to start posting a new photographic trip report to test out the new slider bar? (Note, I've also added it to the New Content page and Trip reports page: I may well do a seperate one for Africa, India and Worldwide to be placed on the relevant subforum pages...)

Can you wait until September? 😉

I love this feature @Game Warden! Looks great on PC in Chrome.

Alan

ooh, I like it!

A great addition to the front page.

What a great idea. This really brings the front page to life and surfaces a lot of content that (hopefully) will encourage new visitors/members to further explore the site and write their own reports.

1 person likes this

I really like it!

Thanks @everyone for your comments. After much tinkering today with code, I placed the Latest Trip Reports slider block at the top of the page, full width and have disabled the revolving Safaritalk Special offer safari banners. (I'll now place them elsewhere.)

I also took out the latest gallery images bar, as the top of the page looked too busy with both it and the trip reports bar. Instead I've rustled up a Random gallery block which cycles through loads of gallery photos to the right and below.

It cleans the page up a lot.

It must be noted that the latest trip reports bar grabs images from the first post of each trip report and resizes them to a generic size, (which I've set at 300x200 pix), so there is obviously compression and portrait format images look a bit squashed but I cannot work round that.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks as always,

Matt

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Game Warden said:

Instead I've rustled up a Random gallery block

This was a bit limiting as some personal galleries have been set as private by members, so instead I've set it up to grab images recently inserted into posts, which thus includes not only the Topic title, but also when clicked, the image links through to the start of that topic - so again, driving readers to investigate more Safaritalk topics and there are some amazing images already cycling through :)

Matt

Excellent!

Looks reall nice on an ipadIMG_0003.thumb.PNG.6770d4c275f79d9e1ae0325b1e1a1e62.PNG

....and a phone 

IMG_2708.PNG

@ld1 Your ipad image there is showing me I need to do some work on the top banner, decrease the width of both the left hand title area and the right hand image.

Thanks,

Matt

@Atravelynn's new Ethiopia trip report slotted seamlessly and automatically into the new Slider bar, great stuff. So now we need some more fresh trip reports to get that bar updated :)

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Game Warden said:

@Atravelynn's new Ethiopia trip report slotted seamlessly and automatically into the new Slider bar, great stuff. So now we need some more fresh trip reports to get that bar updated :)

Being told I "slotted seamlessly and automatically into the new Slider bar" is one of the best compliments I ever got!

1 person likes this