Steven NY

A Backup question

31 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Ouch @Dave Williams

I must pull my finger out as well and buy another drive. Currently don't have a backup either.

I was later told that my mistake was dragging the folders/files from one drive to the other whereas you should copy and paste. I left them to complete overnight. My computer is programmed  to shut down after 3 hours inactivity and I'd forgotten so wether that played a part I don't know.

Where they went I also don't know but I have tried recovery programmes without success and in the end decided to take the hit.

1 person likes this

@Dave Williams I suggest you have a look at GoodSync.  here  A fabulous piece of backup/synchronisation software for minimal dollars.  

It takes the guess work out of what you're doing, virtually no time to set it up to run your backups and has excellent online setup documentation.  

2 people like this

I bought a 2T Western Digital Passport Pro, which will backup my cards while in Africa.  Seems to  be the best solution.  Gonna test it out within the next few days.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted (edited)

On 6/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, Steven NY said:

how is it powered?

Built-in rechargeable battery, charges via USB 3 cable which is included.   

I just came back from 5 days in Vermont, where I used/tested the My Passport every day.   It worked as advertised, and I was able to preview and import jpegs from the drive into my IPad for editing and sharing.  While I only shot 155 images over the long weekend, it's reassuring to know it works.  Piece of cake - just power on, stick the SD card in the slot, and wait until all the lights stop blinking.  You can connect wirelessly from a phone or tablet to see that the files are all copied, but it won't render raw files, only jpegs (I shoot raw+jpeg for this and other reasons).

it weighs 12 oz. and fits into the laptop/tablet sleeve in my Airport Essentials backpack, or the pocket of my photo vest. The SD card wallet will be somewhere else, such as my wife's carry-on bag, so we're protected against loosing a bag with all the pictures.   I'm bringing enough cards to store ~500GB of images, and the My Passport is 3TB.   I won't erase the cards until they're safely imported in LR back home, and backed up to a second drive and the cloud.

Edited by Bassman

I bought the WD Wireless Pro and returned it the next day.  I found it, and most importantly the software, to be very clunky.  It was hard to set up and I had trouble finding the drive on my computer.

I am going to get the Canon Connection Station which will come as a $100 add on when I buy the 80D.  It will show RAW files and I had the instruction manual and it seems to be less complicated.

11 hours ago, Steven NY said:

I bought the WD Wireless Pro and returned it the next day.  I found it, and most importantly the software, to be very clunky.  It was hard to set up and I had trouble finding the drive on my computer.

I am going to get the Canon Connection Station which will come as a $100 add on when I buy the 80D.  It will show RAW files and I had the instruction manual and it seems to be less complicated.

Good luck with that , do let us know how you get on as it might be useful to me too if I decide that luggage weight was a big issue. The biggest drawback I can see is that it might be a bit slow uploading RAW images.