Migration in full swing up north in Kogatende; Cheetah in the dry dusty Kusini plains in the South ....... River crossings at the Sand River and a lot lot more

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Before I get to the photo editing over the weekend and later ..... many many Thanks to Sangeeta, Smita and the Chalo Africa team for putting together a trip for us chasing the migration up north in Kogatende.  Not only did they ensure we had a smooth trip, but, also ensured that Coastal got us checked in for our international flights on time by using their fast track service in DAR.  

Must say very impressed by the crew at the camps at both Asilia and Sanctuary lodges ......... Simply brilliant!!!! 

Thanks to our guides; Ellisante and Kivoyo from Asilia and Emmanuel from Kusini Lodge (he knows the Kusini area at the back of his fingertips - amazing!!!)

Camp Management was brilliant too - Thanks to Michael and Abu at Olakira; Julie at Sayari Camp and Van / Es at Kusini camp.  Top notch service and warm Tanzanian hospitality at it's best!!!

Here's the first batch of photos....

sayari1 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari2 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari3 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari4 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari5 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari6 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari7 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari9 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari8 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari10 (1 of 1).jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah
Photo addition

you're back! and it sounds like you caught the migration in full force? fantastic. waiting impatiently to see your photos.... :)

Game Warden

@madaboutcheetah Less writing more photo editing...;) Great to hear all went well. Looking forward to more.

Matt

michael-ibk

Welcome back Hari, looking forward to seeing more!

Looks like this chocolate box will deliver only best treats! To read or to write, is the question now!

So that's where you've been! Looking forward to this one!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot for all your kind comments - much appreciated...

What I loved about June in Kogatende is the lack of crowds.  My first time in Kogatande and what hit me right away is the wilderness feel there (fewer roads, less man made, no cattle etc etc.,) ... When I say lack of crowds, I mean NOBODY around!!! 

Here goes the next bunch of images ...... Note the difference in the water levels in the Sand River after a massive rain storm at night......  Most of these images are from the Bologonja plains (so assumed that this is the wing of the migration that made it from Seronera).  Our Coastal flight from DAR/Zanzibar dropped a newly married couple off at Singita and appeared to be massive herds there too (what we saw from the air)

sayari11 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari12 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari13 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari14 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari15 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari16 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari17 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari18 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari19 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari20 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari21 (1 of 1).jpg

SafariChick

Great, Hari! So good to hear it was so uncrowded and also so full of wildlife! As you well know, those two do not always go hand in hand. Really look forward to seeing more!

19 hours ago, SafariChick said:

Great, Hari! So good to hear it was so uncrowded and also so full of wildlife! As you well know, those two do not always go hand in hand. Really look forward to seeing more!

Agreed!  Lots of wildes to go with the "no people."

Looks fantastic. You've captured the "feeling" of the tall grass really well - especially in the first photo of zebra and wildbeest in your first post. It's like they're swimming in it! (And then, of course, the actual swimming in the photos to follow is also quite good.)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot for the continued comments and interest in this report - much appreciated!!! 

While I've been lucky to witness the Great Migration before ...... I was absolutely blown away by the mind boggling number of animals (and the fact that most of the herds from the Western Corridor weren't even part of what I witnessed).  I felt like I was witnessing it for the first time  (and I did with friends from SFO who were on their first safari in Africa).

sayari22 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari23 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari24 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari25 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari26 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari27 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari28 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari29 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari30 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari31 (1 of 1).jpg

madaboutcheetah

I would have never known that I'm allergy prone - but, gosh those tall red oat grasses were something else!!!! How quickly the herds flatten that tall grass???  magic! 

Julie and her crew at Sayari had a strong Ginger Tea solution to help deal with it ...... Amazing!  There was also one torrential storm at night that quickly got rid of all the allergens in the atmosphere ..... 

sayari32 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari33 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari34 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari35 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari36 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari37 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari38 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari39 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari40 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari41 (1 of 1).jpg

wow the number of wildes in the photos -  it would have been incredible being there in person. 

i love that sharp contrast of that photo filled with numerous wildebeests, then followed by the single klipspringer (i assume that's what it is?!) on the kopfe

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @Kitsafari- yes, it is a Kilipspringer on the kopje round the corner from Sayari camp. 

typo

We missed the beginning of the migration in the Mara by a couple of days.  Our photos look nothing like yours!!  It was a wasteland!  So glad to see your photos to fill in the gaps, and to plan for another trip.

madaboutcheetah

@AmyT - What were your dates in the Mara? and where was your base?  sorry you missed it by a few days...... 

3 minutes ago, madaboutcheetah said:

@AmyT - What were your dates in the Mara? and where was your base?  sorry you missed it by a few days...... 

We were at Porini Lion Camp until 25 June but were in the Mara 2 different days: one for a hot air balloon ride, June 24 for breakfast at the Mara river. 

Edited by AmyT

madaboutcheetah

Hmmm - they were already in the SandRiver and beyond (into Kenya) by June 24th - however, they will not have made it to the Mara river as yet ......... SandRiver is a long long way from the Conservancies.

madaboutcheetah

More snippets from the Great Migration.....

sayari42 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari43 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari44 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari45 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari46 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari47 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari48 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari49 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari50 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari51 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari52 (1 of 1).jpg

SafariChick

@madaboutcheetah These are all great - I especially love the third shot in post # 19 with the wildie caught jumping - fantastic!

Wow, wow, wow!  Can I say, wow!

@madaboutcheetah Welcome home and so glad you had an amazing time. I am a bit concerned as we don't leave for 6 weeks so our first day in the Mara will be 16 August. We are staying at Brian Freeman's camp. It seems to be an early migration this year so we might be too late to see the big herds. What will be will be I guess and that is not the only reason for spending 7 days in the Mara. Your TR will keep me going until we set off ourselves. We have just over 5 weeks in Kenya in total so should see a lot in that time. Pen

Great trip report and photos....all the result of your wonderful trip.  Thanks!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @marg and @penolva ........ You will have your fill of the migration in August ........ Will be at it's prime time there!  No need to worry.  Have a great time and do report back!