Q: Who Gnu that Kenya is so delightful?

AmyT

4 hours ago, AmyT said:

@AtravelynnThanks!  I really enjoyed watching them.  Did you see the brief video clip?

Thanks for reminder.  Everyone was quiet in the clip. ;)  Hope those lion cubs have grown bigger and stronger since you saw them.

What's cuter than an ungainly baby giraffe?

Lovely trip report, thanks for sharing.... I don't have many days at the conservancy, but sounds like it should not be too much trouble to locate the Cubs...will do my best!

Such a precious sighting of the Giraffe calf - don´t think I´ve ever seen such a young one. :)

Lovely pictures of the lion cubs - and that baby giraffe is a wonderful memory to take away with you.

I have really enjoyed your report

@Atravelynn @michael-ibk@TonyQ@Tulips  @amybatt  @Gilgamesh  and everyone I've missed...

Thanks for following along!    While there were some bumps in the road (and what journey doesn't have a bump or two?) I loved my taste of Kenya. I laugh to think how acclimated I became to seeing lions, considering that at Amboseli camp, I sat between the seats on the floor for "protection" while looking for Martin in the dark.

Back in February, when I'd booked the trip, my rationale was...

"Porini appeals to me for several reasons: Jake Grieves-Cook developed the conservancy model which is protecting the wildlife; Gamewatchers offers a 5% donation to a SafariTalk fund that is managed by Gamewatchers for projects approved by the Game Warden ( http://safaritalk.net/topic/16211-gamewatchers-safaris-porini-camps-special-donation-to-safaritalk/ ); and the high praise from SafariTalkers about the camps. Not to mention, the June rates remain unchanged from those offered in January.

"Last weekend, I was reviewing the prices for the proposals received and saw that Porini was opening a brand-new camp in June. That was the straw that broke the camel's back; I may get to be one of the first people at Safari Talk to have a look at it!"

Still valid on all points and especially loved being in conservancies where there was greater freedom of movement.  Porini camps are an excellent value... allowing first-time (and repeat) visitors to experience safari for a reasonable price. @Gilgamesh had asked about pricing so I'll share mine here.  As mentioned in another post, our family of four spent a week in Orlando over spring break.  The per-person price, per week, was the same price (minus airfare and the hot air balloon ride) as our trip to Kenya. We paid roughly $2500 per person, per week, for each trip.  I can tell you I'd much rather be on safari!

What a marvelous trip to Kenya.  It appears you have another safari in the works.  Way to go!

1 hour ago, AmyT said:

@Atravelynn... Yes!  Mana Pools with Doug Macdonald in November.  You and @SafariChickinspired me!!  (And @Big Andy & @michael-ibk). 

I too did Kenya for #1 (also Tanz) then Zim, including Mana Pools, for #2.  Great minds....

I'm just catching up with this trip report now, but what an amazing adventure you & your daughter & friends had! I can't get over the number of cubs you saw -- it looks like a veritable cornucopia of cubs in every cute pose imaginable! I'm still thinking of the "you can't see me/but I can see you" pictures, which were superb. And what better omen is there than seeing a baby giraffe on the way to the airport?

Thank you for taking us with you on this journey -- and for being frank about the things you didn't like as well as the things you did. Your character, enthusiasm, and love of animals really shone through each post, and made it so much fun to read.