beverly

Visiting the DSWT reintegration camps, Kenya

8 posts in this topic

I know this question has come up previously, so if anyone, as a supporter/foster-parent, wishes to visit the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and stay in their private camps at the reintegration units but are single or couples and would prefer to travel in a small group to share costs etc then maybe I can help. I have been a Volunteer with the DSWT in the UK for many years, I'm passionate about elephants & wildlife conservation, and have visited many times (I am not a business or tour operator). I have created a database & have been putting small groups tours of like minded people from around the world together. I understand the logistics of all the arrangements necessary. If you need advice, or further information etc message me with your email and I will be happy to send you my information fact sheet.

2 people like this

I sent you a message Beverly and if the off chance anyone here is interested we are looking at Jan 2019 before we do Kili!

Thinking specifically of you @SafariChick!

Welcome to Safaritalk @beverly - please do take a moment to introduce yourself by starting a new topic in this subforum.

You'll no doubt be aware that many Safaritalkers have visited Sheldrick's in Nairobi, and, for instance, you can see @twaffle's wonderful black and white photo essay here, and read my own, archive interview with Dame Daphne here.

And do feel free to share your photos and volunteering experiences from your time on the ground in Kenya :)

Matt

1 person likes this

hmmm ... very tempting. It is so hard to pick which of many wish list trips to try to do next!  This is definitely something I'm interested in doing at some point!  I just visited the DSWT orphanage in Nairobi for the second time at the end of my trip to Laikipia and I still have to add in a little report on that at the end of my Laikipia trip report - soon. @beverly both @Kitsafari and I have reports about our visits to the Nairobi orphanage in the report called Lions, Leopards and the Lipault Ladies  -- here 

and Here: 

@SafariChick yes there are just so many places to see & experience, but for me Ithumba is 'the one' very special, magical place. @dlo I have messaged you

Hi @beverly I was interested in visiting Voi and Ithumba, but an itinerary I saw at one point had the stays in Voi and Ithumba being elephant-only visits with no game drives.  It seemed to me that it was a lot of waiting around camp until the next feedings.  Is that accurate or was that unique to the itinerary I saw?  I wish I could remember where I saw it, or I may have been sent it by a friend in the UK.  I think at that point I ruled out the trip because I'd want to see more of those areas than just visiting the elephants.

I too have been to DSWT in Nairobi twice, partaking in the public, foster parent and private visits, so I know how special it can be.  Photos and write ups of my experiences are in my Kenyan trip reports here.

Hi @amybatt I think I was introduced to you a while ago by a mutual friend and it might be my itinerary you're thinking of. My small group tours are purely based on visiting the DSWT re-integration units & primarily spending time with the elephants, they are a specialized safari. Ithumba is in a wild, remote part of the northern territory of Tsavo East where general tourists/game drives are not permitted unless staying at Ithumba. Large game is not in abundance in this area, except elephants of course, and what game there is are usually hard to find. Game walking is permitted as long as a KWS warden accompanies and there is Ithumba Hill to conquer. To be honest there is not much time spent waiting around as you are in the company of the orphans & wild elephants 3 times a day and in between there are meals, good conversation, sun-downers, amazing star-gazing and just soaking up the magical remoteness of this wilderness. Umani Springs is tranquil & lush, there are forest walks, bird-watching & butterflies, picnics in the Chyula Hills if you have enough time,and of course the orphans to visit 3 times a day. The forest is dense so not really suitable for game drives, there is game around but very shy. For elephant lovers, the camps are elephant heaven and safari extensions to explore the surrounding areas or beyond can always be tagged on at the end. 

Posted (edited)

You can go on game drives from Ithumba but @beverly is right that the game is harder to find and you don't have that much extra time in between the 3 elephant visits. We've been lucky to see leopard and cheetah (the latter was spotted from camp). There's game viewing at the camp waterholes and we've seen bat eared foxes, genet and springhare at camp in the very early morning hours when it was still dark. I posted both trip reports here.

Edited by Patty
2 people like this