Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kellie

“Extreme Wildlife Declines and Concurrent Increase in Livestock Numbers in Kenya”

3 posts in this topic

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0163249

~ This September, 2016 research article published in PLOS One is titled: “Extreme Wildlife Declines and Concurrent Increase in Livestock Numbers in Kenya: What Are the Causes?”.

The study suggests that the viability of wildlife is directly threatened by substantial increases in livestock populations in Kenya's 21 rangeland counties. The authors question the effectiveness of Kenya's wildlife conservation policies, strategies and practices.

1 person likes this

@Tom Kellie:

I think that the article to which you link provides an extremely important collection and analysis of data.  These represent a very serious indictment of Kenya's conservation policy.  I suggest that supporters of protectionist policies ought to read this paper and either point out why the authors' conclusions are wrong or, alternatively, abandon their ideas and, instead, support a sustainable use policy.    

1 person likes this

~ @douglaswise

When I read this paper it had an emotional punch within me.

I'd initially loved safaris in Kenya, having positive experiences on game drives in various locations, for several years.

However, the final few Kenya safaris — of ten total — were marred by multiple encounters with pastoralists driving large herds in nature reserves or parks.

My friend and guide, @Anthony Gitau, shared my misgivings, but others offered a litany of reasons why such grazing in wildlife reserves was acceptable or necessary.

It became increasingly difficult to come to terms with what I was observing day after day, especially when comparing it with what I'd previously experienced.

The upshot is that with greatest regret, I shifted my safari tourist funds to South Africa.

The research paper linked above uses sound methodology followed up by what strikes me as reasonable analysis to make plain the causation between increased livestock herds and diminished wildlife numbers.

The absence of adequate sustainable use policies is having a profound negative impact, even on small-time safari tourists like yours truly.

It's a highly significant article which merits widespread consideration, with any oversights or flawed reasoning brought to light.

Tom K.