Game Warden

Is Safaritalk influential?

34 posts in this topic

I would love to have business cards to hand out with SafariTalk information on it.  

"Here, when you have a minute, check it out."

I can make up a batch myself, but I'd much rather have it approved by @Game Warden. I talked the ear off anyone who was willing to listen, but without something to hand out, it's unlikely that anyone will remember the specific URL unless reminded a dozen times.

@AmyT there was a card/label design that Game Warden created for us all to print off but I am not sure where to find it now.  Will try to find it later.

Having said that I would imagine the he may well be redesigning this in line with the new look ST.

Safaritalk has been extremely influential for me.  I believe I read every Kenya trip report before I took my first safari there in October 2016.  Then, I came back, read some more, and just returned from a second safari to different camps.  I did start out on TA several years ago, but learned somewhere along the way about Safaritalk and now I use both but rely most heavily on ST.  

I always aim to return the favor by writing a trip report but somehow life has a way of getting in the way.  This new design appears easier to navigate, so I will try to put something up this time.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Pamshelton3932 said:

This new design appears easier to navigate, so I will try to put something up this time.

We are waiting @Pamshelton3932 ;)

Posted (edited)

I agree with the points above relating to trip planning, using trip reports etc. Most of us use it extensively in that way

For me the most interesting and, I hope, influential part of of Safaritalk is the huge knowledge of some members of those less well known parks/areas of Africa and the wildlife there.

Take Zakouma for example not heard of, by most of us, until comparatively recently. We are lucky that some members grasped the nettle and went there and on their return brought us the first trip reports to ST (Thanks @Paolo@Anita@inyathi) thus encouraging others to go. OK not in mass numbers but tourism is what will keep these parks alive. You can find their 2014 report here and there have been several since their initial report.

These reports have also raised my awareness of the valuable work that ANP are doing throughout the continent. And now we have Pendjari and the really interesting article by Jeremie on the history and current status of this area

There are other reports, on ST, from members about less well known places, and not only in Africa. We have some seriously intrepid travelers here and their reports are well worth reading. I really admire the adventurous spirit of those that go to these places and hope that their reports also have some influence on tourism, as the Zakouma reports have visibly done. 

If I was younger and wealthier I would be joining them

Edited by wilddog
5 people like this

OK not in mass numbers but tourism is what will keep these parks alive.

@wilddog thanks for your comments :-) that's kind and generous. Very humbly, and just personally I don't think individuals like us or forums are influential beyond the point of providing some knowledge ( at times complete and somewhat accurate and at many other times not so) to a very small and limited section of safari goers. However the goal is not to be influential so it does not matter. We do this because we love it and that is enough ( at least I speak for myself)

Anyways that's a personal view , but I did want to comment more on the quote above- that is actually quite incorrect that tourism will keep these parks alive. Tourism is nothing compared to the expenses and without skillful management even those expenses wont be enough. Law and order and the pyramid 6 layer kind of strategy that AP has along with benign dictators is what will keep it alive.  A park that is open 5 months of the year but needs year round protection, wont be kept alive by tourism. Tourism is a nice fringe benefit and hopefully can help sustain most of the future expenses at some time- though looks unlikely will happen in a hurry in this park.

FYI- Garamba costs USD 10 Million + a number of lives to keep it alive year after year. Tourism will not even make a dent here and I doubt if @Paolo and I are ready to grasp the nettle there! Time will tell ;-)

2 people like this

Perhaps I should have said helps to keep them alive. 

I know I'm very late to this, but I just wanted to add a note to say how very influential SafariTalk has been in my life. There's the practical: as so many people have mentioned, I absolutely rely on the opinions of SafariTalk members and their Trip Reports for my own planning, and often end up being more well-informed than my travel agent (which worries me sometimes, but that's another topic).

Then there's the effect SafariTalk has of bringing wildlife, and caring about wildlife, into one's every day life. To be able to read about the people "out in the field" even when you can't be there changes your perspective on the world a little, I think. 

I also get the feeling that SafariTalk is important to conservation in ways I'm too ignorant to imagine. To take a stab in the dark, though: it feels important to me that there is a community that is recording sightings of particular animals and particular places through the years, that people here can say, "oh yes, I saw the mother of that lion x number of years ago when this was happening," and also that people here are so intrepid and come back and report on some very far-flung wilderness areas. I'm not quite sure what the effect of it all is, but it seems to me to be an incredibly rich resource of animal sightings over the years.

And, of course, there's also the community, which is wonderful. Much more than any online forum I have ever experienced, I feel like I "know" people here, and have genuine communications with them. Thanks to everyone for all of it, and especially to you, @Game Warden!

1 person likes this

Since discovering Safaritalk we have abandoned the organized group safaris we had taken previously and started using the resources of the folks here to help plan private safaris.  We will probably not return to the group trips.  We are in the planning process of a safari to Tanzania in 2018 including four of our friends.  I have spent hours reading trip reports and forming a list of places we would want to visit.  When I called a TO, one that is used by several here, we were able to quickly put together a really nice itinerary.  

I used the private message option to visit with a couple of Safaritalkers to find a private guide that we should be very happy with.  They replied with valuable insight that may have saved us from choosing someone who would not have been ideal.

Lastly, I don't know how @Game Warden manages to develop and maintain such a great sight and forum without advertisers.  After using this site for valuable planning and advice it seems only fitting that we as members should help financially by supporting the cause.

1 person likes this