COSMIC RHINO

ONGOING COVERAGE BRAZIL FORESTS

15 posts in this topic

Brazil on verge of legitimizing Amazon land theft on a grand scale, warn NGOs

15 June 2017 / Sue Branford & Mauricio Torres and Isabel Harari

President Temer, serving the bancada ruralista rural lobby, is poised to turn over 600,000 hectares of federally protected Amazon forest to illegal miners, loggers and land thieves.

• Brazil’s president has until 22 June to approve or veto two bills (PLC 4 and PLC 5) turning over more than 600,000 hectares (2,317 square miles) of federally protected Amazon forest to illegal loggers, illegal miners and land thieves.

•  

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/06/brazil-on-verge-of-legitimizing-amazon-land-theft-on-a-grand-scale/

it is certain that  the elite regards the forest as a mere resource , the earth and ordinary people suffer in the process

ITY

1 person likes this

Temer is every day closer to destitution because of the Lava Jato investigation. 

Hope he will eventually not pass this bill.

@COSMIC RHINO I edited your initial post - it was hard to read with the formatting, also please stick to reporting news articles as outlined in this post.

Thanks, Matt

6 hours ago, jeremie said:

Temer is every day closer to destitution because of the Lava Jato investigation. 

Hope he will eventually not pass this bill.

~ @jeremie

What might the “Lava Jato investigation” be?

Tom K.

Lava jato is corruption affair in Brazil which involves all the political parties including Dilma Roussef and the current President Muchel Temer.

From wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Car_Wash)

Operation Car Wash (PortugueseOperação Lava Jato) is an investigation being carried out by the Federal Police of Brazil, Curitiba Branch, and judicially commanded by Judge Sérgio Moro since March 17, 2014. Initially a money laundering investigation, it has expanded to cover allegations of corruption at the state-controlled oil company Petrobras, where executives allegedly accepted bribes in return for awarding contracts to construction firms at inflated prices. This criminal "system" is known as "Petrolão - Operation Car Wash".[4] The operation has included more than a hundred warrants for search and seizure, temporary and preventive detention and coercive measures, with the aim of ascertaining a money laundering scheme suspected of moving more than R$30 billion (approx. US$8.94bn as of November 22, 2016).[citation needed] Because of the exceptionality of their actions, lawyers accuse the operation of "selectivity" and "partiality" in their case, being "a criminal case that violated minimum rules of defense for a large number of defendants".[5]

On January 19, 2017, a small plane carrying Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Teori Zavascki crashed into the sea near the tourist city of Paraty in the state of Rio de Janeiro, killing the magistrate and four other people. Zavascki had been handling the politically-charged Operation Car Wash corruption trials.[6]

1 person likes this

~ @jeremie

That's very useful background context.

Many thanks for supplying it, as it makes clear what's occurring.

Where I work and live most political news from around the globe is unavailable, in the interest of maintaining “harmony and social stability”.

Therefore news stories are routinely blocked and local versions of international news are heavily skewed.

Added to that is my own lifelong indifference to politics. I've been more or less a ‘plants and animals guy’ for my entire life, with no interest in political goings-on.

Therefore much of what's mentioned in a political context is unfamiliar or isn't available here.

Your kindness in supplying such information is greatly appreciated.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

@Tom Kellie It is very sad that all the news are censured in China. I remember long conversation between my mates Robin from Austria, Hamid from Syria and Ti Lu from China when I was studying in England. It was sometimes had difficult discussions about Tibet, I then really understand what you say, the information you have in China is clearly no impartial and independent.

Do you have wikipedia in open acceso there?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, jeremie said:

@Tom Kellie It is very sad that all the news are censured in China. I remember long conversation between my mates Robin from Austria, Hamid from Syria and Ti Lu from China when I was studying in England. It was sometimes had difficult discussions about Tibet, I then really understand what you say, the information you have in China is clearly no impartial and independent.

Do you have wikipedia in open acceso there?

~ @jeremie

About open access Wikipedia, some days ‘Yes’, other days ‘No’.

It seems to vary with the whims of the authorities here. For example yesterday it was available but slow, today it's being cut off or incompletely loading.

There's a quiet and legal workaround, which is the helpful Web site: http://www.wikiwand.com

Yes, your experience in England reflects the complexity of issues here.

It's certainly accurate that information available in this country isn't at all impartial or independent.

The most frequent comment I've posted in Safaritalk is that what's sorely needed here in this country, but also unimaginable at present, is 100% independent, unannounced verification of all wildlife, animal parts and conservation claims.

The system here thrives on deception and distortion. The prevailing assumption is that “foreigners” are naive and therefore easily tricked with one-time media events, misleading statements and clever strategies. They rely on the easy gullibility of well-intentioned but credulous “foreigners”.

Honest, fair, balanced, impartial information is exceedingly difficult to obtain here. All researchers and graduate students struggle with this, as most of what's available is heavy-handedly ideologically one-sided.

@inyathi commented on the frustration of living where “foreign” videos aren't available. What I didn't mention to him is that during the past 18 years here the situation has worsened, as the extent and capacity for full-on censorship has developed.

Visiting here as a tourist passing through on a wildlife observation and photography holiday is quietly but carefully managed so as to maintain the illusion of normality.

By contrast, living here as an expatriate for years lays bare the scope and intensity of the ‘perception management’ which is an integral aspect of current realities.

For these reasons and others, the posts and information which you and @inyathi frequently post are welcome rays of light in an otherwise murky cave.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

1 person likes this

here is an appeal from Survival International ,which people might like to look at and endorse

they are  a NGO who work on behalf of the civil rights of first people

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b14580b05b832fb959c4ee444&id=f82556d0f9&e=0b386b813d

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

• here is a scientists review of the environmental impact process and how to improve it

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/07/amazon-infrastructure-eias-under-assess-biodiversity-scientists-offer-solutions/?n3wsletter&utm_source=Mongabay+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1e5a940559-newsletter_2017_07_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_940652e1f4-1e5a940559-67239299

Environmental impact assessment in Brazilian Amazonia: Challenges and prospects to assess biodiversity

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320716311223

looks like it is open access 

• mp759 has just been passed to make it easier for private interests to grab public lands, legalise past landgrabs and  enforcement is much harder as the responsible agencies have had their budget cut severly

Temer signs law that could see millions of acres lost in the Amazon

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/07/temer-signs-law-that-could-see-millions-of-acres-lost-in-the-amazon/

• here is an interesting report, money and politics is a poor mix

Soy King Blairo Maggi wields power over Amazon’s fate, say critics

https://news.mongabay.com/2017/07/soy-king-blairo-maggi-wields-power-over-amazons-fate-say-critics/

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Global Witness a NGO monitors the number of land activists killed every year

200 died in 2016, the highest number 49 came from Brazil

please see  https://www.farmlandgrab.org/post/print/27290

Global witness with cooperation with the guardian are reporting deaths of land defenders as they  happen

for the year to date  33 have already died in Brazil , the highest from any country ,please see  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2017/jul/13/the-defenders-tracker

ongoing forest clearing  in absence of effective enforcement of forest protection regulations is a major threat to make species extinct 

• for every 10% of forest cover loss 1 or 2 major species of mammals and birds will be lost
  • once 43% of the forest cover is gone ,another 2 to 2 species will be lost per 10% forest cover loss

please  see 

Jose Manuel Ochoa-Quintero, Toby A. Gardner, Isabel Rosa, Silvio Frosini de Barros Ferraz, William J. Sutherland. Thresholds of species loss in Amazonian deforestation frontier landscapes. Conservation Biology, 2015; DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12446 or  for a summary www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150304104224.htm

A new study by the NGO Imazon finds that just 128 slaughterhouses process 93 percent of cattle raised in the Brazilian Amazon.

They also  have a 88% match with areas cleared  from 2010 to 2015 and a 90% match with areas at higher risk of being cleared .

please see  https://news.mongabay.com/2017/07/study-links-most-amazon-deforestation-to-128-slaughterhouses/?n3wsletter&utm_source=Mongabay+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0889a0b8b7-newsletter_2017_07_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_940652e1f4-0889a0b8b7-67239299