Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wilddog

Disneyland at Vic Falls?

19 posts in this topic

is this for real? or a wind up?

Surely no-one could seriously consider this. Those costumes in the Vic Falls heat.

1 person likes this

No idea @Soukous Reading it again the word Disneyland is in quotes so it may be that this is only an indicator of style rather than actual fact. 

Posted (edited)

Let's hope it's 'fake news' although I wouldn't put it past Mugabe and the Chinese to do something horrendous like this. Can you imagine? 

Who do they think would go anyway. If it's aimed at Chinese tourists better to build it in Asia.

Africans? unlikely.

Western tourists? no way.

Mugabe & his cronies? Aren't they already living in Disneyland?

Edited by Soukous
punctuation
2 people like this

What exactly might a "tourism and conference theme park" entail? :lol: 

Posted (edited)

Looking back at previous articles in the same publication it seems this has been on the cards for a while. In 2013 it was described as a  'tourism and conference theme park at Victoria Falls' as noted by @monalisa .

Only time will tell what the reality is. One can only hope that the word 'Disneyland' was used to attract more readers rather than factual.

Edited by wilddog

I would suggest the estimate of $5bn tourism income by 2020 may be a little optimistic!

2 people like this

~ @wilddog

Every time that I say to myself that I've finally seen everything, something like this comes down the pike.

When I first read your post, I thought it must be a spoof.

Then a faint memory stirred of something I was told several months ago by a former student.

If what he offhandedly mentioned is accurate, then this project may be underway.

Why, why, why? Is greed such that all common sense and restraint flow over Victoria Falls into oblivion?

Thank you for bringing this otherworldly project to our attention.

What will it entail? Goofy with the wild dogs? Mickey Mouse on a termite mound. Donald Duck in an Egyptian Goose costume?

Aieeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom K.

Sounds like yet another African development project financed by Chinese loans (and benefiting the Chinese steel and concrete industries) that the African country will have trouble repaying...

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

Sounds like yet another African development project financed by Chinese loans (and benefiting the Chinese steel and concrete industries) that the African country will have trouble repaying...

~ @offshorebirder

Hmm...

Where have we seen this exact same picture before?

Nothing much ever changes, does it?

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Another horror story. They surely can't be serious.

little  detail , the whole idea is goofy

until there is a just. transparent and  honest government in Zimbabwe  there could  easily be resistance on going there

why build  a totally fake thing in the midst of natural wonder ?

http://allafrica.com/stories/201704060154.html

~ From The Herald, republished in All Africa: “Zimbabwe: Victoria Falls — A Tourism Phoenix Set to Rise”

This article emphasizes the close ties developing between China and Zimbabwe, explaining that China Jiangsu International Economic and Technical Cooperation Group views the Victoria Falls Airport as one of the most extensive of its overseas branch.

It's the same firm involved in developing a theme park resort at Victoria Falls. The phoenix is a powerful symbol in China of a fresh beginning.

19 hours ago, wilddog said:

Looking back at previous articles in the same publication it seems this has been on the cards for a while. In 2013 it was described as a  'tourism and conference theme park at Victoria Falls' as noted by @monalisa .

http://www.ibtimes.com/disneyland-africa-zimbabwe-plans-300m-theme-park-victoria-falls-1400131

~ From International Business Times in August, 2013: “Disneyland in Africa? Zimbabwe Plans $300 M Theme Park at Victoria Falls”

I'm quite sure the Disney Corporation with have nothing to do with this agreement or development whatsoever.

I would be surprised to find that Disney knew this was even going on. Many try to use the Disney brand as a way to bring in revenue and people to their tourist destinations. Whether it has anything to actually do with Disney is a totally different problem.

2 people like this

@wilddog Last year I was interviewed on ZBC about future tourism in ZIM. Lots of projects many places, different aspects and will be interesting to see what actually happens.

ZBC.jpg