Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kellie

Zimbabwe Trophy Hunting Partially Funds Mozambique Animal Relocation

5 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/radical-conservation/2017/jun/19/rewilding-mozambique-trophy-hunting-elephants-giraffe-poaching-zimbabwe-sango-save-zinave

~ This June, 2017 article in the U.K. Guardian explains how high fee trophy hunting in Zimbabwe's Sango Wildlife Conservancy is partially funding the transfer of 6,000 animals to Mozambique's Zinave National Park.

German entrepreneur Wilfried Pabst is donating the animals from Sango, which is located within the Savé Valley Conservancy in eastern Zimbabwe.

I've just heard (and these may only be rumors, which I hope to goodness, they are) that this convoy of animals for translocation encountered some big hurdles at the border & plans are to slaughter them all for meat? It all sounds horrendous - does anyone know more?

@Sangeeta I am just sick even thinking this might be true :(

Posted (edited)

I know @lmonmm, 😞

I sound like some macabre Dr Death with all my grim posts on ST these days. Ugh.

Edited by Sangeeta
2 people like this

Some comments

The report does not fit into the context of what the Mozambican government is actually doing in this park that can give all these relocated animals a good chance of survival. The first step would be to establish a viable economic project on the part of the government, community and private initiative, aiming at its sustainable development. The inclusion of Zinave and Bahine in the TFCA, with the exception of their habitats, It's still on its first steps, and both are conceptually far from adding anything of greater value. Sending animals is one of the last steps in a rational recovery process. A recurrent problem with reallocated animals is that they do not recognize the environment and "almost always" spread through adjacent areas, and if poorly managed, this relocation can cause only a large poaching race in the area. A law punishing poaching with up to 15 years' imprisonment has been enacted in Mozambique in 2015, but judges / prosecutors are not using such resources to curb these crimes. The relocation of the animals is most likely to be part of a marketing strategy for raising conservation funds and, depending on the early results, is that the Mozambican government will effectively improve the park's infrastructure. I remember that in 2016 I read that about five million dollars will be applied by the private initiative in the construction of a hotel / resort to attend the park, and by the current date this initiative continues in the roll of intentions. However, it is very important to recognize that practical steps are being taken to recover this park, as well as Sango initiative to provide the main input of this recovery "for free". Mrs Kalinina (HSI) criticisms, in my opinion, are purposely out of focus as she finds no practical support. The criticism should be directed to a whole context of guarantee to the survival of the reallocated animals. As has been said, the trophy hunt has no part in the administration of Zinave.

I did not find any information on relocation / transportation issues that led to the belief that mass animals died inside the trucks or any illegal interception occurred.

2 people like this