A Birthday Safari to Africa

Tulips

Last year I went to Africa for the first time and did my first safari in Kruger Park in one of the private reserves.  I kept a journal, but not defeated notes to match some of the incredible trip reports I've seen on here.  My notes are my photos and I though I'd share a few.  These first photos are from my first game drive except for the Giraffe which was outside the window in my tent.

i was lucky to get the hyena.  He came out just a short it was getting very dark.

P1070048-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1060979-Edit.jpg

P1070035-Edit.jpg

P1070367-Edit.jpg

P1070016-Edit.jpg

P1070343-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070053-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070063-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1060958.jpg

~ @Tulips

What a great first game drive!

The barbet photo leaps out, and the hyena looks so close.

To see a cute giraffe outside of one's tent window — lovely!

Thank you for posting these.

Tom K.

Couldn't ask for a nicer birthday! Lovely ele photos. Where did you stay?

Edited by Marks

michael-ibk

Beautiful photos, especially like the Barbet.

Thanks Everyone.

@Marks I stayed at Lionsands Tinga Lodge.   

Very evocative photos, @Tulips . Looking forward to see them more!

Game drive two was early in the morning.  We were provided with coffee, tea and a light snack prior to heading out.  It was a beautiful morning.  After the drive, I visited a school supported by Lionsands.  That experience was a real highlight.

Lots of giraffe that morning as well as kudu and a variety of birds.  Nice to see hyena out that early as well.

P1060993.jpg

P1070083-Edit.jpg

P1070086-Edit.jpg

P1070088.jpg

P1070105.jpg

P1070112.jpg

P1070121-Edit.jpg

P1070141-Edit.jpg

P1070142.jpg

P1070145.jpg

P1070153.jpg

~ @Tulips

The woodpecker on the underside of a thick branch!

The browsing kudu!

Plus a school visit.

All good, all fun to see and hear about.

Thank you!

Tom K.

@Tulips Lovely photos - I like the hyena in the second set especially. What camera /lens were you using?

offshorebirder

@Tulips -  Very good photos you posted!    

The first Buffalo photo in your first post is EXCELLENT!    Shining coat, shining horns, neat composition.  

Looking forward to reading more.

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

@Tulips -  Very good photos you posted!    

The first Buffalo photo in your first post is EXCELLENT!    Shining coat, shining horns, neat composition.  

Looking forward to reading more.

Thank you @offshorebirder!

3 hours ago, pomkiwi said:

@Tulips Lovely photos - I like the hyena in the second set especially. What camera /lens were you using?

@pomkiwi I use a Panasonic G7 and the lens I used for the most part was a 100 to 300.  Sometimes I switched to a 12 to 40 because the animals were to close for the 100 to 300.  The Hyena was shot using the 100 to 300.

After the school visit and sumptuous lunch, it was time for game drive three.  

Lesson learned at lunch was to always have the right lens with you.  I didn't take my long lens to the school and consequently did not have it for lunch, as my tent was a good walk from the main lodge and I didn't feel like walking there prior to eating. A leopard walks by across the river (the only leopard we saw) and I only had a wide angle.  So no photo for me.  Still, it was a thrill to see.

Game drive three resulted in ellies, hippos, lions feasting on a kill, a rhino, sundowners under the guise of a flat tire, vultures and an amazing sunset.  Oh, and a chameleon too!

All in all, it was a thrilling day!

P1070033.jpg

P1070309-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070321-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070027-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070070-Edit.jpg

P1070196-Edit.jpg

P1070209-Edit.jpg

P1070213.jpg

P1070227-Edit-2.jpg

P1070239-Edit.jpg

P1070250.jpg

P1070251.jpg

P1070259-Edit.jpg

Very nice hyena on the move!

Enjoying this one a lot.

A nice diverse selection of images in post #13. I like the vulture tree silhouette. 

Game drive four saw monkeys, Rhino, Lions, Buffalo, and a warthog.  After the drive, I took advantage of the dark sky and tried my hand at shooting the Milky Way.  I know that isn't really "safari", but where I live it's not often you can see it due to light pollution.

P1070270-Edit-2-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070316-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070353-Edit.jpg

P1070373-Edit.jpg

P1070528-Edit.jpg

P1070514-Edit-Edit.jpg

Happy Birthday.  You know how to celebrate.  The creatures, and even the milky way, honored the special occasion as well.  You have some lovely shots and certainly lovely memories.  Any plans for your next birthday safari?

That is indeed a really nice starscape photo. And I say it absolutely counts as part of your safari :)

7 hours ago, Marks said:

That is indeed a really nice starscape photo. And I say it absolutely counts as part of your safari :)

Thanks @Marks

8 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Happy Birthday.  You know how to celebrate.  The creatures, and even the milky way, honored the special occasion as well.  You have some lovely shots and certainly lovely memories.  Any plans for your next birthday safari?

Thanks @Atravelynn!  My next birthday safari is the end of August to Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda.

Atravelynn
On 6/30/2017 at 4:56 AM, Tulips said:

Thanks @Atravelynn!  My next birthday safari is the end of August to Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda.

You go girl!  Those countries will provide loads of celebration!

What a great birthday trip!

• 2 weeks later...

After the morning game drive and some breakfast, I went back to my tent and enjoyed a late morning/early afternoon on the deck.  I didn't bother with lunch as I was too busy watching the elephants.  Who needs reality tv? 

P1070429-Edit.jpg

P1070433-Edit.jpg

P1070463-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070407-Edit.jpg

Then it was off for the last game drive.  Hard to believe.  I was hooked and could spend hours game driving.  The highlights were the Hornbill and the African Paradise Flycatcher.  We also saw two hyenas lazing around and my absolute favourite, the tussling elephants with an interloper watching on the sidelines.

There is one photo with a giraffe and a tree and it really puts size in perspective.

P1070475.jpg

P1070489.jpg

P1070507-Edit.jpg

P1070502-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070498-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1070481-Edit.jpg

The fourth photo in #24 looks as if the giraffe is a voyeur on a scuffle between ellies!  Wonderful photos and what great elephant sightings from your tent!