Tom Kellie

Conserving Global Megafauna: African Nations Stand Out

12 posts in this topic

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2351989416300804

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/news/africa-tops-megafauna-protection

~ This April, 2017 research article published in Global Ecology and Conservation presents the findings of a comparison study of nations with regard to conservation of megafauna.

The primary evaluative criteria were: ecology, extent of protected areas, and percentage of GDP allocated to conservation. African nations were notably strong in protecting both carnivores and herbivores.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Very interesting. I was surprised to see how low South Africa is ranked.

Edited by jeffb
spelling
1 person likes this

~ @jeffb

Thank you for pointing out South Africa's ranking.

When I originally read the articles I'd neglected to notice that.

The overall study makes clear that differences do exist in overall megafauna conservation level, which is understandable, given the various factors involved.

Tom K.

thanks it is open access

@jeffb I am not particularly convinced about it. Have a look to CAR ranking.

5 hours ago, jeremie said:

@jeffb I am not particularly convinced about it. Have a look to CAR ranking.

~ @jeremie

Is there anything in particular which causes your doubts?

For example, does the research methodology seem flawed to you?

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

Well, I think we all agree that CAR is a completely failed country with recurrent civil rebelions, home of several rebels groups in the Eastern part of the country, with very little industry. The government is now only controlling the capital Bangui and really northing else. It has absolutely no resources to ensure law enforcement in its giant protected areas  in the North East of the country, that have been totally destroyed by massive poaching and encroached by pastoralists from Chad and Sudan. The only exception is Dzangha Sangha in the South that receives massive help from international NGO and donors.

Bouché (2012) wrote an article concerning the Northern region entitled: 

"Game over! Wildlife collapse in Northern Central African Republic" which resumes well the situation there.

I am thus very doubtful when I see that its scores high for mega fauna conservation. Well the article is submitted by well known scientists such as Lindsey and Henschel, but I had a very quick look and finds weird results.

Have a good day!

Edited by jeremie

18 minutes ago, jeremie said:

I am thus very doubtful when I see that its scores high for mega fauna conservation. Well the article is submitted by well known scientists such as Lindsey and Henschel, but I had a very quick look and finds weird results.

~ @jeremie

Fair enough...that's a reasonable doubt.

I appreciate your providing greater context for your doubt.

My life experience may be more limited than yours or others. What I've often noticed through the years was that when published findings surprised me or seemed out-of-character fro what I understood, it was often because I'd placed too much reliance on certain sources, when a broader survey of facts might have modified more extreme conclusions.

However, that's only my inconsequential observation and may not at all be relevant here.

Thank you for candidly expressing your concerns, which are certainly timely.

Tom K.

Just now, jeremie said:

Well, I think we all agree that CAR is a completely failed country with recurrent civil rebelions, home of several rebels groups in the Eastern part of the country, with very little industry. The government is now only controlling the capital Bangui and really northing else. It has absolutely no resources to ensure law enforcement in its giant protected areas  in the North East of the country, that have been totally destroyed by massive poaching and encroached by pastoralists from Chad and Sudan. The only exception is Dzangha Sangha in the South that receives massive help from international NGO and donors.

Bouché (2012) wrote an article concerning the Northern region entitled: 

"Game over! Wildlife collapse in Northern Central African Republic" which resumes well the situation there.

I am thus very doubtful when I see that its scores high for mega fauna conservation. Well the article is submitted by well known scientists such as Lindsey and Henschel, but I had a very quick look and find weird results.

Have a good day!

looking at the full list under supplementary info then landscape print is interesting

• sth  Africa  given a low rating given  high levels rhino poaching
  • questionable  how CAR and DCR are  well ranked given the activities of armed militas and the general state of lawlessness
  • questionable the ranking for Sudan the place is lawless
  • Australia is badly rated 134 out of 152, I am ashamed  ,environmental issues don't get proper priority

Well, Karijini National Park has a spur intruding into it which is an open cut iron mine and the railway to it. They excluded it from the park. Australia has the highest number of animals which have gone extinct and lots of issues with invasive species (cats, foxes, toads, rabbits, rats, mice), the great barrier reef has recently been declared dead, etc.