jeremie

Large African Protected Areas, if well managed, could host more than 80.000 lions

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is the link of a very complete study about lions, focusing on performance of protected areas.

The study aims in comparing all the large protected areas of Africa performance, depending on diferent parameters.

It appears that if correctly financed and managed, these protected areas has the potencial to host a population of lions 4 times higher than the current population.

So my conclusion is simple: To save the lion, we should focus on these PAs, identify those with the higher potential of recovery, don't waste time and money with other areas (even if they can be considered very valuable or worth).

https://www.panthera.org/cms/sites/default/files/Lindsey_2017_performance_lions_biol_cons_0.pdf

Edited by jeremie
1 person likes this

~ @jeremie

Thank you so much for posting this. It's helpful to have it brought to our attention.

For unknown reasons there were difficulties in uploading images from the link. Here's a direct link to the article in Biological Conservation for anyone with similar difficulties:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320716305481

One aspect which jumped out of the map showing lion density was the apparent recent increase in lions in western Mozambique, which was also shown in a graph.

That's good to know. 

Tom K.

@jeremie:

I agree with @Tom Kellie that your link to the Lindsey et al paper is very useful.  Having just spent an hour or so reading it, I feel that the survey undertaken was a useful way of ranking the obvious threats to both lions and their prey.  I was a little disappointed that the authors didn't include elephants because there are excellent grounds for believing that surplus populations in some parts of Africa are having negative impacts on habitats, predators and prey.

The main lessons that I drew (probably without time for adequate reflection) were that most protected areas suffered from considerable lack of funding and were under increasing threat from human population increase.  However, complete or partial fencing and absolute exclusion of human settlement within protected areas would allow positive outcomes even with high human densities in contiguous areas.  While it is reasonable to call for more international aid, funding could be increased internally by adopting sustainable use (both consumptive and non-consumptive) policies  The creation of conservancies adjacent to formally protected areas has the potential to create more usable wildlife range. However, the downside is that such areas might compete for already inadequate funding.

3 people like this

interesting

it is good to see that serious thought and research is being done on this issue