Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Cheetah in Lower Zambezi park, Zambia

19 posts in this topic

Those of you on Facebook, will have seen updates from the LZNP in Zambia where a cheetah was photographed recently ......

Amazing!!! 

5 people like this

~ @madaboutcheetah

Unfortunately, where I work and live Facebook isn't available.

Yet your enthusiastic post above sounds interesting.

In essence, what made the sighting particularly amazing, if you don't mind my asking?

Tom K.

I don't use Facebook (although I could). However, I assume what might be exciting about this encounter is that cheetahs were perhaps thought to be extinct in this particular park

1 person likes this

The last cheetah sighting in the Luangwa Valley has been almost 20 years ago, and was between North and South Luangwa. No cheetahs have been seen in Lower Zambezi for over 20 years, and those had been reintroduced (and quickly moved out of the area). 

It could have swum across from Mana Pools, however the Zimbabwe cheetah project couldn't match the photo with any of the known cheetahs from the Mana Pools area. As far as I know there haven't been subsequent sightings of the cheetahs in Lower Zambezi.

3 people like this

~ @ice and  @ForWildlife

Thank you so much for supplying this useful background information.

It helps a lot to understand the cheetah situation there.

Tom K.

@madaboutcheetah where was that posted on Facebook?  I can't find it  

Well since I will be in Lower Zambezi in just a couple of months I am really interested in this, so I did some digging :)

It seems it has been sighted at least twice, once at night and once during the day. There are daytime photos on Anabezi's instagram page here:

https://www.instagram.com/anabezilodge/

And the nighttime photo here:

http://mailchi.mp/05d1728ecc4b/cheetah-sighting-in-the-lower-zambezi-national-park

2 people like this

3 hours ago, janzin said:

Well since I will be in Lower Zambezi in just a couple of months I am really interested in this, so I did some digging :)

And the nighttime photo here:

http://mailchi.mp/05d1728ecc4b/cheetah-sighting-in-the-lower-zambezi-national-park

~ @janzin

Many thanks for the above link.

I was able to see the nighttime image.

I hope that your upcoming visit in Lower Zambezi will be enjoyable.

Tom K.

This is remarkable news!!

If I spot it I will let you all know :D

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Update from Lower Zambezi.

A cheetah was spotted yesterday around Jeki so it is still around. We had a good look round that area today but didn't find it.

I say a cheetah as different sightings have said it is male and female. Tractor driver grading roads saw 4 animals, wasn't sure what but thought leopard.......highly unlikely. So now a (small) possibility there may be more cheetah here.

Photos sent to Zim have proved inconclusive re an identification. Wrong bit of body on photos. Next try is to find dung to send for a dna(?) analysis

Edited by CaroleE
missed out location of sighting
2 people like this

another picture here 
Edited, Matt

@philw Do you have Grant's permission to post his image here on Safaritalk? If so please provide a quote stating this, if not, I'll have to remove it. Thanks, Matt.

Providing a link is fine, but a photo, unless it your own, needs the copyright holder's  expressed written permission and creditation.

Thanks, Matt

Wow, and that's recent! Hope it sticks around another two months :) Here's the link to the exact FB post.

http://tinyurl.com/ycrn3jpz

That's great news. I'm trying to plan a trip there for Sept.

Awesome news!  We're headed to Tswalu today, but will be staying at Anabezi next week.  I'll definitely report back if/when we spot a Cheetah there :)

Posted (edited)

Quick update - no sighting of the Cheetah while we were there. We did see a Honey Badger (with honeycomb in its mouth!) as well as an Aardvark - the first sighting of one in the entire Lower Zambezi valley this year.  Here's the Aardvark photo (I gave it to Anabezi to post on their Instagram page.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWj-tUslrNP/?taken-by=anabezilodge

Edited by KI-NRT
2 people like this

Wow awesome. We are counting down to Amanzi...a little over a month.