Tulips

Nairobi Hotels

31 posts in this topic

What do people recommend for more upscale Nairobi hotels, but not super duper luxury near Kenyatta airport?

I've always stayed at the Eka.  It's good because it's between NBO and Wilson and it's perfect to crash for a night only to get right up and head out to Wilson the next day.  Decent food.  We got a day room there on our last trip just to clean up after our Sheldrick's visit, eat and head to NBO for our flight home at midnight.

1 person likes this

there are no hotels near the international airport

Nairobi traffic  can be busy

if you want a hotel near  Wilson airport the Weston is ideal

Posted (edited)

I've stayed a couple of times at Ole Sereni.  It's not far from the International airport.  Early transfer to Wilson the next morning is a breeze now with the new bypass road ...... 

Nothing spectacular about the hotel -but, sufficient for an overnight.

Panari hotel is also not far from international airport.  I think I stopped for lunch once on the way to the international airport from Wilson.

Edited by madaboutcheetah
Extra information

48 minutes ago, COSMIC RHINO said:

http://www.westonhotel.com

There is a new hotel that is inside the JKIA security perimeter.  This would an possible option if you are arriving later in the evening but you would still need to do the transfer to Wilson.  Other options are Nairobi Tented Camp or Emakoko which are inside Nairobi National Park.  This allows a more pleasant transfer between airports (as they are on opposite sides of the park).

http://www.thelazizihotels.com/

1 person likes this

Thanks all!  I'm having trouble deciding because I like more boutique type places rather than chain hotels.

I almost booked the Ole Sereni, but thought I could do better for the price.

I will look at Eka.

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, PT123 said:

There is a new hotel that is inside the JKIA security perimeter.  This would an possible option if you are arriving later in the evening but you would still need to do the transfer to Wilson.  Other options are Nairobi Tented Camp or Emakoko which are inside Nairobi National Park.  This allows a more pleasant transfer between airports (as they are on opposite sides of the park).

http://www.thelazizihotels.com/

I actually really like the look of the Nairobi Tented Camp.  Was going to book it on my way into Kenya, but the voice of reason said that my flight doesn't get in until 7pm and then I leave the next morning, so not worth it.  I have a nice budget hotel booked for my arrival night.

I then have a charter early the next morning to my lodge.  Then after 4 days, I have a charter back and have most of the day and evening in Nairobi before I leave for Rwanda early the next morning, so maybe I will revisit this location.

1 person likes this

~ @Tulips

In February, 2016 I was a guest at the Nairobi Tented Camp.

The experience exceeded all expectations in terms of service, convenience and comfort.

During the afternoon game drive I saw several rhinos in different locations, quite a few bird species and a suni.

A large bushbuck walked through the camp in late afternoon prior to leaving on the game drive.

As described in another thread, a leopard walked through the camp in the deep night, brushing against my tent.

The dinner and breakfast were sumptuous, with far more than enough for anyone.

Chatting with the manager, guiding staff, kitchen staff and security staff made the experience a delight.

If it fits the timing of your itinerary, I'd strongly recommend the charming Nairobi Tented Camp.

Tom K.

2 people like this

A great quality, affordable hotel near JKIA is the Boma. 

The Boma is owned and operated by the Red Cross and staying there supports their work.

I have stayed at the Boma three times and I love the "Boma Experience".

1 person likes this

On 6/13/2017 at 7:46 AM, Tom Kellie said:

~ @Tulips

In February, 2016 I was a guest at the Nairobi Tented Camp.

The experience exceeded all expectations in terms of service, convenience and comfort.

During the afternoon game drive I saw several rhinos in different locations, quite a few bird species and a suni.

A large bushbuck walked through the camp in late afternoon prior to leaving on the game drive.

As described in another thread, a leopard walked through the camp in the deep night, brushing against my tent.

The dinner and breakfast were sumptuous, with far more than enough for anyone.

Chatting with the manager, guiding staff, kitchen staff and security staff made the experience a delight.

If it fits the timing of your itinerary, I'd strongly recommend the charming Nairobi Tented Camp.

Tom K.

Hi,

They are quoting 475 US for 1 night inclusive of meals, drinks, airport trans fees, 2 game drives and a visit to the Sheldrick centre.

My issue is, I won't get to camp before late morning as my Laikipia Lodge is very expensive and I want to make the most of it.  So, I wI'll not be able to do 1 of the game drives or the Sheldrick, ( I got to interact with the elephants at Wild Horizons Rehab in Zimbabwe), so not a big deal.

But just wondering if think it is worth it given they won't reduce the price for the two things I would be missing?

1 person likes this

Besides the 11 a.m. free visit, you can also visit Sheldrick at the 5 p.m. visit if you are a sponsor of one elephant for $50 if you want to do that.  To me visiting there is invaluable but since you've done something similar in Zim, perhaps you don't feel the need.  You can also do it without staying there of course, and could do a drive through the park and visit Sheldrick with a driver and not by staying at Nairobi Tented.  But I don't know where else to recommend staying if not Nairobi Tented other than Emakoko which is fabulous but I believe more expensive than Nairobi Tented.

1 person likes this

@SafariChick

That's my issue.  I'm not sure I'd save any money staying somewhere else and then having to pay for all the extras on top of the hotel cost.  It seems to me that it is a good deal even if not doing the Sheldrick or 1 game drive.

The 5pm Sheldrick doesn't work with the timing of the 1 game drive I could do.  I for one, could never be bored with game drives!

No I don't get bored with game drives either! When I was there we did a game drive AND Sheldrick in the afternoon. Sheldrick is in the park so it's possibly to start on a game drive for an hour or two, then be at Sheldrick for an hour, and then do another hour or whatever is left of game drive.

2 people like this

~ @Tulips

What @SafariChick has suggested sounds practical and fun.

In any case, a stay at either the Nairobi Tented Camp or at the Emakoko is well worth it, as the atmosphere is superb.

I've done both and greatly enjoyed both. The guiding in both locations is superb.

I hope that you'll be able to settle on a plan which suits yours preferences and budget.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, SafariChick said:

No I don't get bored with game drives either! When I was there we did a game drive AND Sheldrick in the afternoon. Sheldrick is in the park so it's possibly to start on a game drive for an hour or two, then be at Sheldrick for an hour, and then do another hour or whatever is left of game drive.

They are telling me they only offer two drives and the afternoon game drive is at 4pm.  Sheldrick's foster visit is at 5pm.  I'm not sure how to start on a game drive and then leave??  Did you book with Gamewatchers as that is the only place I see to book?

@Tulips I stayed at Emakoko not Nairobi Tented so I only know what Emakoko do. They gave me my own driver and car at no extra charge, so he did whatever I wanted!  We did a game drive for a bit on our way over to Sheldrick, then he took me to Sheldrick and waited, and then we continued on our game drive after. I booked through @Sangeeta 's agency Chalo Africa. 

1 person likes this

Sorry @SafariChick, I thought you were talking about Nairobi Tented.  I submitted a request on @Sangeeta agency page to get a quote re the Emakoko and then I can decide.

Either place looks great, I just don't want to break the bank for 1 night.  

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, SafariChick said:

@Tulips I stayed at Emakoko not Nairobi Tented so I only know what Emakoko do. They gave me my own driver and car at no extra charge, so he did whatever I wanted!  We did a game drive for a bit on our way over to Sheldrick, then he took me to Sheldrick and waited, and then we continued on our game drive after. I booked through @Sangeeta 's agency Chalo Africa. 

~ @SafariChick

I've stayed at the Emakoko twice, each time with a car and guide, just as your experience.

The same happened at the Nairobi Tented Camp.

In both cases I booked directly, receiving prompt, very friendly service.

Staying at either would be a major plus for @Tulips, I feel.

Whatever she decides is likely to be a safari highlight.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

Many thanks to everyone.  I have booked the Emakoko.  I see from reading some past trip reports that many of you have stayed here before @amybatt @SafariChick @Tom Kellie  @Kitsafari and have great reviews.  I think this will make a great last day in Kenya for me before I fly to Kigali.

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, Tulips said:

Many thanks to everyone.  I have booked the Emakoko.  I see from reading some past trip reports that many of you have stayed here before @amybatt @SafariChick @Tom Kellie  @Kitsafari and have great reviews.  I think this will make a great last day in Kenya for me before I fly to Kigali.

~ @Tulips

You're sure to have a great time!

Anton and Emma Childs are superb hosts.

The meals...the hospitality...the game drives...the service...the post-safari pampering — it's all the very best!

I'm delighted to know that you've made this choice! 

Tom K.

1 person likes this

You've made an excellent choice.  I never wanted to leave.  To say it's exceptional is a vast understatement.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Tulips Yay, I agree, fantastic choice! I would love to go back there myself.  Make sure you try their signature drink - called a DAWA - absolutely delicious! Here's a photo from Facebook: 

Edited by SafariChick
2 people like this

What do you all think of Giraffe Manor?  I know it's not a hotel in the traditional sense, but they had availability on the day we intend to overnight in Nairobi, so we snagged it.

Is it cheesy and contrived?  Or is the experience there unique and worthwhile?

On 6/13/2017 at 4:09 PM, COSMIC RHINO said:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Cholera-outbreak-hits-Weston-hotel/1056-3982440-ri9lfq/index.html

~ From Daily Nation: “Cholera Outbreak Hits Weston Hotel Guests”