Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rochat28

Tiger reserve tour

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new here so thanks in advance for any help you can give

My husband and I are finally planning a long held dream of visiting India to spend time in the reserves. As a long time visitor to Africa, we have seen most animals, so the Tiger is top of our list to see, however, I didn't realise before starting my research how prolific other species are in India and I am now ridiculously excited for our trip

We have no real time limit as we are currently taking a super sized career break but we do have a budget limit and will not be able to stay in the top end resorts or take organised tours flying from A to B. It will be good quality budget places for us and the good old train system.

My question is: if Tigers are a must but you could do 4/5 reserves so you could see  much as possible, which reserves would you choose and where are your favourite places to stay that are reasonably priced? Also, would you pick up a guide and gypsy at each place or would you book it via the lodge/hotel?

My thoughts so far are Bandhavgarh, Kanha, Pench and Tadoba. 

I'd welcome your thoughts on what I know is a very broad question

thanks

~ @Rochat28

Welcome to Safaritalk!

It's great to know that you're a regular visitor to Africa.

I hope that you'll find the answers you seek for planning a wildlife visit to India.

If it's ever convenient and comfortable, a self-introduction in the Introductions section would be most welcome.

May your India trip exceed your highest expectations!

Tom K.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, Rochat28 said:

Hi, I'm new here so thanks in advance for any help you can give

My husband and I are finally planning a long held dream of visiting India to spend time in the reserves. As a long time visitor to Africa, we have seen most animals, so the Tiger is top of our list to see, however, I didn't realise before starting my research how prolific other species are in India and I am now ridiculously excited for our trip

We have no real time limit as we are currently taking a super sized career break but we do have a budget limit and will not be able to stay in the top end resorts or take organised tours flying from A to B. It will be good quality budget places for us and the good old train system.

My question is: if Tigers are a must but you could do 4/5 reserves so you could see  much as possible, which reserves would you choose and where are your favourite places to stay that are reasonably priced? Also, would you pick up a guide and gypsy at each place or would you book it via the lodge/hotel?

My thoughts so far are Bandhavgarh, Kanha, Pench and Tadoba. 

I'd welcome your thoughts on what I know is a very broad question

thanks

Hello, 

I m very happy to see your post and your plan to come to India. 

As per your questions below are the answers - 

1- You will definitely see the tiger if you are covering 4/5 reserves like start from Tadoba then pench then kanha then bandhavgarh then you can do either panna or ranthambore. If you will do it in this sequence as m telling you it will save your time and will not take mush time even in road journey also from one reserve to another reserve. 

2 - Budget lodges are everywhere and if you will let them know in advance about your safari schedule so they can book safari entry tickets for you other wise below are the links to book the safaris yourself. 

http://mahaecotourism.gov.in/Site/Common/nationalParks.aspx its for tadoba 

https://forest.mponline.gov.in/Search.aspx its for pench, kanha, bandhavgarh and panna. 

3- Regarding accommodation in places 

In tadoba I would choose - Chava kolara resort

In Pench - United 21 resort

safari camp resort (They dont have website )

Tiger n woods 

In kanha - Motel chandan (right next to park gate)

In bandhavgarh - Tala camp (perfect place in budget and for wildlifers)

In Panna - Panna camp (next to ken river, perfect location to see animals when they come to drink water, you can also see crocodiles from there)

In ranthambore - Raj palace (Ranthambore is quite commercial so you will get lots of budget options there if you search in google)

I can get you touch with everyone if you want. You can share your mail id and I can give you their contact details. 

4- For guide and gypsy its a roaster system so you just need to tell your lodge manager about your safari schedule on very first day and they will call gypsy for you, it will come to your lodge will pick you up.. when you reach park gate you will get guide there and then you will start your excursion inside the park, after finishing it gypsy will again drop you back at the lodge. 

Your thought is also good, as far as you are keen to see tiger then dont skip tadoba at all. Because area wise tadoba is little bit small but has a very good number of tigers there. 

I hope my answers will help you to find best for you. 

Happy holidays :) 

@Rochat28 Welcome to Safaritalk.

Can you specify approximately how much time you have? And which month are you planning to travel?

I would recommend staying at least 4 nights 5 days in each park to make sure you have good sightings.

Since tigers are on top of your list,I would recommend the following reserves.

1. Ranthambhore National Park, Rajasthan: Stay options are plenty starting from Oberai Vanyavilas/ Aman at top end. I would recommend Ranthambhore Bagh owned by a friend who is an accomplished photographer. It's clean, comfortable with large grounds. (Mid range option). Ask for rooms in the main building, avoid their "tents". Ask for Rajkumar or Salim. They are superb guides. You also have option of full day safaris. In that case, ask for Himmat Singh to drive you. There is no better driver in Ranthambhore.

2. Bandhavgarh National Park, MP: Stay options abound. But if you can, stay at Mahua Kothi by Taj Safaris. It's a personal favourite. ask for Rajkishore or Karun to guide you. Both are outstanding.

3. Tadoba National Park, Maharashtra: The best option is Svasara. They have a great team of guides.

I am recommending these three for a reason. Tiger populations fluctuate from year to year. So one reserve may be great this year but have very poor sightings next year. This is because the visibility of tigers increases if you have females with young cubs and established male tigers in the tourism zones. This year Ranthambhore and Bandhavgarh were absolutely top notch in sightings due to the same reason. Bandhavgarh had poor run for last 2-3 years due to lack of a well established male in tourism zone.

Another important factor is time of the year. In winters weather is gorgeous but sightings are less. In summer its terribly hot but tigers are almost a certainty.

I would recommend late March as a good compromise.

If you stick to central India, you can also visit Satpura Tiger Reserve. It's not great for tiger sightings but excellent for Sloth Bears and Leopards. It also has the option of walking, canoeing and motor boat rides which adds immensely to the safari. The place to stay in Satpura is Forsyth's lodge, again a personal favourite.

The other parks may have great sightings next year:

1. Pench National Park:  Superb park with stunning density of herbivores. Featured in BBC's "Spy in the jungle" documentary... If possible stay  at Taj Safari's Baghvan. Absolutely top notch. Another great option is Jamtara Camp. The manager Neil is a great guy with a PhD thesis on tigers to boot. You will have good chance of spotting wild dogs as well.

2. Kanha National Park: A big park. Great birding. Good number of tigers but not at the top of tiger sightings recently.

For other wildlife there's

1. Corbett National Park: Elephants, Tigers and huge variety of birds

2. Kaziranga National Park: Elephants, Rhinos, Hog deer, Wild buffaloes

3. Kabini National Park: Elephants, Leopards, Tigers and Wild Dogs

4. Little Rann of Kutch: Flemingoes, Birds of prey, Indian Fox, Desert Cat, Wild asses

5. Gir National Park: Asiatic lion

Hope this helps

Vikram