Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

List the new features you've found and like.

51 posts in this topic

What are the new features you've discovered and like, that are useful, that weren't on the old site? List them in the replies below in case other members haven't yet found them.

Thanks,

Matt

Let me start off by saying I am a total technophobe. Be that as it may, I generally have found the new site very easy to navigate. I am thrilled to no longer have the automatic video turn on as soon as I come on to the site (I think if I had to hear "come on boys" one more time I'd scream- as the cheetahs chowed on the impala) so I don't have to worry about turning it off every single time :)   I also just found out that I can type in a members name as I'm posting and it prepopulates making the reply or tag sooooooooo much easier. And best of all......it appears I can now cut and paste links despite my old W7 computer- YAY!!!!!!!!  (now I don't have to plead with other members to do it for me :) )  This was a monumental undertaking and I am thrilled to see that it has gone relatively well. My sanity remains intact as I wander through wondrous pictures, reports and advice. Awesome!!!!

2 people like this

@lmonmm My sanity on the other hand is somewhat shredded doing this upgrade ;)

2 people like this

@Game Warden I am sure it is so just want to thank you again, sincerely, for doing this. I'm actually really impressed with the smooth transition so kudos to you and your cohorts. :D

@everone : I've found that if you are halfway through a post, and then change navigate to another page by mistake, if you then page back, and click on the "Reply to this topic" box, it automatically recovers your text... 

Edit: this also applies if you are starting a new topic and navigate away. Just page back and your text will automatically appear having been autosaved. Which I'm sure will be a reilef.

Matt

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I love the fact I can actually read the text now the issue of the green band has reduced in size and the text has got bigger. Photographs are so much easier to upload, couldn't be simpler and they look bigger and better on the screen now too.

As previously pointed out you can go back and edit old posts too which is invaluable if you have made a spelling mistake or miss id'd a species and need to change it.   Sorry, what you could do yesterday it appears you can't today. The ability to edit an older post isn't possible after all which is a disappointment. This post was open to be  edited as presumably no-one else has added anything after it yet?

I'm sure that there are loads of features still to discover but so far I think the upgrade is superb. Well done Matt et al. Just go and lie down in a darkened room and you'll soon recover your sanity!!

Edited by Dave Williams

On 07/06/2017 at 9:34 AM, Game Warden said:

@lmonmm My sanity on the other hand is somewhat shredded doing this upgrade ;)

A big thanks Game Warden for your hard work on this!

1 person likes this

It's very nice great job on the new upgrades. =) It's so much easier to navigate just from the first glance. Can't wait to play around and see the new things.

Posted (edited)

I haven't really played around with it that much yet, but one thing I like (and this is probably peculiar to me and a few other photography nuts) is when you click on a photo now, it brings up the actual image so that you can view the properties and the Exif data (if you have an Exif reader installed, as I do.)  In the old system, when you clicked on the photo it brought up a proprietary box which didn't allow right clicking, so one had to go through an extra step of clicking the save button which then opened the photo normally so that you could right-click. This is hard to explain :) if you haven't done it, but I do it all the time as I am always interested in folk's equipment and settings. 

Edited by janzin
1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, janzin said:

I haven't really played around with it that much yet, but one thing I like (and this is probably peculiar to me and a few other photography nuts) is when you click on a photo now, it brings up the actual image so that you can view the properties and the Exif data (if you have an Exif reader installed, as I do.)  In the old system, when you clicked on the photo it brought up a proprietary box which didn't allow right clicking, so one had to go through an extra step of clicking the save button which then opened the photo normally so that you could right-click. This is hard to explain :) if you haven't done it, but I do it all the time as I am always interested in folk's equipment and settings. 

~ @janzin

Like you, I enjoy checking the EXIF data wherever possible.

By doing so, I learn more about how outstanding images were made.

In Safaritalk 1.0 I was able to read EXIF data. However, after going to the Africa Photography section, clicking on a series of images from different members, I wasn't able to find any EXIF data on any of them, including images which I'd posted in past years.

Nonetheless, if you're able to do that, that's good!

I have no ‘right click’ or ‘left click’ functionality on my mouse, or at least I'm unaware of it.

Tom K.

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

As previously pointed out you can go back and edit old posts too which is invaluable if you have made a spelling mistake or miss id'd a species and need to change it.   Sorry, what you could do yesterday it appears you can't today. The ability to edit an older post isn't possible after all which is a disappointment. This post was open to be  edited as presumably no-one else has added anything after it yet?

@Dave Williams

Yes, if there were a means of returning to a previous post for editing, it would be helpful.

I've supposed that asking a Moderator, fully explaining the circumstances, might result in the possibility of a one-time-only edit of past posts.

The spacing on my past trip reports needs adjusting as it was given an additional double-spacing during the transition.

With time, as the detritus settles on the floor, such matters are likely to be quietly resolved.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie I use an add-on for Firefox called FxIF but I others exists for other browsers too. Not sure about the Mac, if that's what you use, but I am sure there must be one! I think Mac mice emulate right clicks with CTL + click.

Another nice new feature is that for some posts, if you click on the image, a slideshow opens which allows you to move from image to image within that post.  However, it doesn't seem to work for all images and I can't figure out why. For example on my trip report for the Pantanal, none of the images are "clickable", but on my trip report from India, some are, and some aren't. And they are all hosted in the same way.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, janzin said:

@Tom Kellie I use an add-on for Firefox called FxIF but I others exists for other browsers too. Not sure about the Mac, if that's what you use, but I am sure there must be one! I think Mac mice emulate right clicks with CTL + click.

Another nice new feature is that for some posts, if you click on the image, a slideshow opens which allows you to move from image to image within that post.  However, it doesn't seem to work for all images and I can't figure out why. For example on my trip report for the Pantanal, none of the images are "clickable", but on my trip report from India, some are, and some aren't. And they are all hosted in the same way.

~ @janzin

Thank you so much!

Yes, I use a 27-inch iMac with Mac OS X 10.12.5. Until you so kindly told me, I never realized that CTL + click was comparable to a right click.

I've returned to the “Show us your leopards...” thread and tested a series of images by various photographers.

No slideshow and no EXIF data.

No matter.

I'm more than happy with what's available.

Safaritalk offers far more in return than what pittance I ever offer in return.

Your thoughtfulness in helping me understand exemplifies the kindness of much of the Safaritalk community.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie you would need to install an Exif viewer to Safari. I unfortunately can't help you there but perhaps there's a Mac user here who can--you might want to post it a query in the photography forum, if you're interested.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, janzin said:

@Tom Kellie you would need to install an Exif viewer to Safari. I unfortunately can't help you there but perhaps there's a Mac user here who can--you might want to post it a query in the photography forum, if you're interested.

~ @janzin

I'm mildly puzzled, as I'm already able to view EXIF on all other sites I regularly visit, if EXIF is available for a given image.

In Safaritalk 1.0 I've enjoyed reading EXIF data over the past two years without ever having required any special EXIF viewer.

What puzzles me is why it would now be necessary to add a supplemental EXIF viewer to the superb one already in the Mac operating system, and solely for use with Safaritalk 2.0.

I visited five international photo Web sites during the past twenty minutes. In every case EXIF data was easily available.

When asking two wildlife photographer and Mac user friends which EXIF viewer was optimal, they both replied that the pre-installed one was already as good as it gets.

In any case, perhaps the refreshed Safaritalk Web site is a step upward in technology, requiring adjustment on my part. Progress requires flexibility, doesn't it?

Again, many thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Tom K.

~ @janzin

Ah, now I know what's happened concerning not being able to see the EXIF data as was possible in Safaritalk 1.0.

It's related to sites optimized for Windows, mobile platforms and where I work and live.

I'll send a private message to you.

Tom K.

1 person likes this

5938e850c6cd2_ThisYearsRice.thumb.jpg.6dc0f326734e75bf7abbbc030d124056.jpg

This Year's Rice

~ This is a test of the image uploading function.

It's rice fields near the university ‘mountain campus’ where I teach twice a week.

Thank you, @bgarcia and @Game Warden  for the ease of uploading.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie et al  Be aware that if you use the new and easy uploader your photographs can be stolen if that matters. If you use via a link such as Flickr you can decide if you want to block downloads from the original source. Some do, some don't.

5938e850c6cd2_ThisYearsRice.thumb.jpg.6dc0f326734e75bf7abbbc030d124056.jpg

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

@Tom Kellie et al  Be aware that if you use the new and easy uploader your photographs can be stolen if that matters.

~ @Dave Williams

Thank you very much for the constructive reminder. 

That's useful for me to know and perhaps also of interest to other Safaritalk members who post images.

As it happens, I'm no more than an idle hobbyist photographer.

Whatever I post is for anyone, anywhere to enjoy. If they want to take a photo and pass it off as their own, that's OK with me.

I intentionally don't add my name to any photo, as I feel no sense of ownership.

Photography for me has been an extension of my career as an expatriate university faculty member, offering whatever possible to others as a service.

The initial images I posted in Safaritalk for for my students as much as for anyone else. I encouraged them to visit Safaritalk to see and download any photos.

In my Zenfolio photo gallery, all images are set to be free of charge, downloadable at any size, without any restrictions.

http://tomkellie.zenfolio.com/f78657611

My hope is to encourage interest in nature, the outdoors, wildlife and international travel.

I'd be flattered if there’d ever be anyone interested enough in any image I posted to take it.

Nevertheless, your prudent and very thoughtful caution is most welcome and appreciated.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

@TomKellie Great that you are happy to share Tom but my post was also intended for et al and Al might not be quite so philanthropic ! Mind you, I'm not sure if you would be a) flattered or B) enraged you had been robbed of a fee if your rice field appeared on the cover of a magazine. 

Personally I'd be flattered but would then write as demand something in return!

Just discovered I can type a) but not B) although c) seems to be fine! Another minor blip!

1 person likes this

@Dave Williams

Just discovered I can type a) but not B) although c) seems to be fine! Another minor blip!

Please mention this in the New Software bugs topic.

Also, can we keep discussion here on the topic - List the new features you've found and like.

Thanks, Matt

@Game Warden  Sorry.

I like the ease of finding members to notify them of a reply.

~ @Dave Williams

Thanks so much!

We all have our quirks. I quietly decline fees for services for various reasons.

I want nothing whatsoever in return for my photography, not even credit.

At my age and in my situation, it's more than enough for others to enjoy anything I might have done.

As I noted, your prudent caution is of great value for Safaritalk photographers. Thank you so much for your consideration.

As much as anything, whatever I do with regard to nature writing or photography is no more than support of the professionals in the field.

My modest needs are met in other ways, with photography being a pleasure without pressure.

Fortunately, my photography and sketching never even comes close to magazine cover quality.

Ha! The thought!

Tom K.

~ A feature I've found and liked is the clarity of the layout of the Forums page.

Each time I see it I'm impressed with the visual attractiveness.

Looks great!

Tom K.

1 person likes this

I am LOVING the return to top arrow, prominently featured at the bottom right corner of the screen.  Thank you, @Game Warden!!!!!