Game Warden

SAFARITALK THE NEW FORUMS: please report any bugs or suggestions.

346 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2017 at 4:55 PM, Tulips said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else finding the home page really slow to load in the last couple of days?

It is not just you!

@Game Warden - what happened to the ability to get embedded links from photos in the Members' Gallery?     It seems to have disappeared with the upgrade.

I just uploaded 11 @COSMIC RHINO photos from Lewa into a gallery, with the intent to get the embed codes to past into a post in his trip report. 

This is because one cannot upload photos directly into a TR yet still be able to type in text between them as you go.

I guess I am going to have to upload them en masse, post the reply, then go back and edit it to be able to insert text between the photos. 

Posted (edited)

I am getting the following error message each time I click "Like".   I then have to click the "back" button and click like again, which sometimes works, sometimes not.

error_message.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

33 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

This is because one cannot upload photos directly into a TR yet still be able to type in text between them as you go

@offshorebirder

You can attach some photos to a section of a report, then write the text, inserting the photos as you go by clicking on each of them.

OR

Start writing a section of a report and as you need a photo drop it on the attachment area and then click on it after it has uploaded to insert it in the report. It is a good idea before clicking to press return a couple of times and then select the line between and centre the cursor before clicking on the uploaded photo.

Thanks @JohnR.

I thought I tried variations of that but I will try again next time I have photos to post - and use different browsers to see if there is a difference.

44 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

I guess I am going to have to upload them en masse, post the reply, then go back and edit it to be able to insert text between the photos. 

@offshorebirder

If I want to embed a gallery picture in a document I get the URL as follows (there may be a better way but I haven't discovered it): I click on the picture, select the size I want, right click on the image and show in a new tab/window then copy the address from the address bar. Next click on Insert other media and select Insert image from URL (e.g. this image from my 2014 gallery):

large.1.1408971451.1-mum-gets-weighed.jp

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

I am getting the following error message each time I click "Like".   I then have to click the "back" button and click like again, which sometimes works, sometimes not.

@offshorebirder

I used to get a similar error message from time to time with the old software. It could be a bug in javascript I suppose if it occurs in such different versions of the website software.

3 hours ago, JohnR said:

If I want to embed a gallery picture in a document I get the URL as follows (there may be a better way but I haven't discovered it): I click on the picture, select the size I want, right click on the image and show in a new tab/window then copy the address from the address bar. Next click on Insert other media and select Insert image from URL (e.g. this image from my 2014 gallery):

Thanks @JohnR - an equivalent replacement for the old way of grabbing an 'embed' URL.

1 person likes this

Anyone else having time=outs?

After a very short time on the site (sometimes only 5 minutes) whilst reading a topic or writing a post, I then try and do something (like, comment, even worse add photos into a new TR post) and I get an error message and I see that I have been automatically logged out and have to sign back in again. Then I have to start again in what I was doing. Some posts I have had restored on signing back in.

I cant find a setting within ST to change this. I am using Firefox and do not have similar timeouts on other sites where I am logged in for longer periods of time (FB,Twitter, Instagram spring to mind)

@JohnR or another admin - how the heck do I access my gallery and photos in the member's gallery under this new setup?   I have looked high and low and don't see how to do it.   

@offshorebirder From your profile.

598cb923b0e94_ScreenShot2017-08-10at20_48_32.jpg.04d8cff63c6e61e05b22a9a96577acfe.jpg  

598cb92c5a962_ScreenShot2017-08-10at20_49_40.jpg.09102061b7b387bc2df85961a1aef053.jpg

Thanks @JohnR - not your fault it's so non-intuitive.

1 person likes this

What exactly is "reputation activity"?  My reputation was ruined long ago already??  :lol:

just noticed issues with trying to alert people to posts using the @ function - thought it was just the iPad, but now just happened on Chrome also....

22 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

just noticed issues with trying to alert people to posts using the @ function - thought it was just the iPad, but now just happened on Chrome also....

@Tdgraves using Chrome here and it is OK. Sometimes seems slow to pick up the letters and thus the avatar name after the @ is typed. Any one else getting the problem that Tdgraves mentions?

9 hours ago, wilddog said:

Any one else getting the problem that Tdgraves mentions?

@wilddog It happened to me about a week ago. Nothing I tried would get the tag enabled. When I came back to ST later it worked normally. All of this is on an iPad.

I've seen it once a month or so back but it seemed to be an isolated incident - Windows 1 PC/Chrome

Didn't there used to be a "For Sale/Trade" marketplace on the forum? I distinctly remember seeing it in the past--did it disappear with the new forum?

Posted (edited)

When I look at safaritalk on PC, there is a "support safaritalk " button at the bottom of the page.

It is possible I am doing something wrong, but....

Now I am looking on an iPad, there is no sign of this button- so presumably iPad users will no be aware of this and would no be able to donate to support this wonderful site. 

If if that is the case, is it possible to put a link at the top of the page that all can access?

many thanks

Edited by TonyQ

@TonyQ I just checked my iPad and I noticed that in portrait mode the iPad displays the smart phone version of the site, suppressing some graphics such as the bar at the bottom. However in landscape mode it displays the desktop version of the site complete with the support button. You get twice the fun with an iPad.

1 person likes this

@JohnR

That is a surprise! Thank you for that - I am new to the world of Apple and I would never have thought of that:D 

1 person likes this