See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Game Warden

SAFARITALK THE NEW FORUMS: please report any bugs or suggestions.

308 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JohnR said:

@Tdgraves Did you add or change the name of the stream and finally hit the Save button? It works for me using Safari on the iPad.

Yes, every time 

It seems that changing the name is an important step...

1 person likes this

On 17/06/2017 at 8:40 AM, Tdgraves said:

It seems that changing the name is an important step...

Nope. Missing again today...

@Tdgraves Which iPad do you have (I only have the mini) and which version of iOS (Settings->General->About->Version)?

A relatively minor thing: Quite a few of the birding topics (mainly ID ones) have used xeno-canto soundfiles. The files used to be embedded, now only the link is there.

Just a suggestion - ive managed to save a few unread content streams thanks to guidance in this thread. Sorry if this has been raised before....

In the past version, when a thread has been commented on a few times, the notification for the unread comments for that thread occurs only once. In the new version, the notification appears for every unread comment in the same thread so it hogs up my unread content list.

any chance of reverting to only one notification for a number of unread comments in one thread please?

14 hours ago, JohnR said:

@Tdgraves Which iPad do you have (I only have the mini) and which version of iOS (Settings->General->About->Version)?

Mini ios 10.3.2

@Tdgraves That's the same as mine. :rolleyes: The only thing left is to check the hardware Settings->General->About->Model. Mine is ME856B/A (a retina screen)

I just checked and a couple of test streams I made last week are still working. The only thing that did not stick when I created them is the expanded/condensed setting. It always goes to expanded whatever I set. However, as soon as I click condensed again it stays condensed thereafter.

I confess I cannot think of anything further that might lead to a different result.

ME276LL/A

i can check on a different type of iPad later on...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@JohnR

I notice that when I view New Content the thread is listed with each new post as a sub-listing.

In some cases, where a person has posted many times on the same thread, this can mean that New Content only shows one thread.

I know i can click on the 'add more' button but is there a way to compress the threads so that under New Content I see only the thread titles without all the individual posts being listed?

Edited by Soukous

21 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Just a suggestion - ive managed to save a few unread content streams thanks to guidance in this thread. Sorry if this has been raised before....

In the past version, when a thread has been commented on a few times, the notification for the unread comments for that thread occurs only once. In the new version, the notification appears for every unread comment in the same thread so it hogs up my unread content list.

any chance of reverting to only one notification for a number of unread comments in one thread please?

Just to give an eg - just one page of my unread content for today and yesterday was just this - i sort of gave up reading anything because there wasnt any other thread to read:

IMG_0510.thumb.PNG.be8c47a081a031c325f2c3f2f3462d2a.PNG

@Soukous, @Kitsafari That would be one for the programmers. Even in the condensed view it can still be a long list. Or read more frequently :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

@Tdgraves The difference between the two iPad minis is colo(u)r, UK/US and one is 16GB RAM. the other 128GB. I don't think those things make any difference as Safaritalk stores personal settings on the server and not as cookies on the iPad.

When you create a dream on the iPad does it show up on, e.g. a desktop machine with the correct settings in the My Activity Streams-> Custom Streams section? Mine do.

Posted (edited)

@Kitsafari

My customised new content doesn't show like that. I created an activity stream ("Unread overall content")

Within this I set "Show me" to "Items Only" and "Content Type" to Articles and Topics" - and then saved it. My new content now looks like this....(Which is as close as I have managed to the old new content. )

EDIT: (I couldn't paste a screen print into here for some reason. I have put it into a word document and attached it)

I have then pinned this page to my taskbar (Windows, not IPAD) so this is where I open Safaritalk. I don't know if that will work with your system but maybe worth a try?

PS1.docx

Edited by TonyQ
Print screen did not copy across

Posted (edited)

@Kitsafari If you are using a mobile device   you can remove the comments etc in your filter on your activity stream. I have mine set to Content items only.IMG_2698.thumb.PNG.cab01e04769407c72d700f4193438efa.PNG

I also exclude status updates from

the content type by leaving it in-ticked. You can also in-tick images if you want to exclude each new photo post.

IMG_2699.thumb.PNG.66d9ec1859cfea5db35a721e832b1366.PNGIMG_2699.thumb.PNG.66d9ec1859cfea5db35a721e832b1366.PNG

As per @JohnR My activity streams carry through to a desktop after setting them on my iphone.

Edited by ld1

Thanks @everyone for the comments and help you are giving each other: it's great because I only use an old laptop to run ST, so those of you with mobile devices are much better placed to help out.

There are still things left to resolve, first off, I'll start working on the pages for the links at the bottom of the page. But, it seems that it's gone pretty well so far and bar a few niggles the new software is a vast improvement over the older, classic ST? What do you think?

Matt

1 person likes this

@Game Warden , after a couple of weeks reading, and m+posting my first post in new Safaritalk, I am happy with improvements. 

One thing I cannot find: is where I can chose the type of font, like Verdana. It is not visible in the top line where other parameters like colour, size etc are. Any hints from others :huh:??

Posted (edited)

@Game Warden

I am not sure why, but this thread appears to be treated differently in my customised "New Content" to other threads - i.e it doesn't show in the list. All of the other threads show in the same way  if I go through New Content or my Activity Stream.  I ask it to show "Items Only" and "Articles, Topics". THis combination appears to give me all threads except this one.

Edited by TonyQ

@Game Warden

Sorry about the previous post - operator stupidity. I had set it to only show unread content. It works perfectly well.

@Game Warden Is there going to be an advanced editor where I can preview my post before saving it, perhaps with additional features like changing fonts?

No advanced editor, everything is included within the reply box now. No ability to change fonts, unless members really want it, and then if need be I can set that up, due to some of the choices perhaps being difficult to read. To preview, click on the last icon, a little magnifying scope over a piece of paper.

Matt

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, JohnR said:

When you create a dream on the iPad does it show up on, e.g. a desktop machine with the correct settings in the My Activity Streams-> Custom Streams section? Mine do.

OK, so it was just me being an idiot

I was expecting to hit the unread content icon at the top of the page and for the saved stream to be there. now I realise that I have to go in via new content (which for some bizzarre reason is hidden under a tab called "more" on the ipad, rather than being on the top of the page on the desktop version).

Edited by Tdgraves
1 person likes this

@Tdgraves Glad it is sorted. You've lived a charmed life if you've only just discovered that iPad mini screens are narrow :P

~ @JohnR

This appeared several times over a ten minute period.

Tom K.

594a051d43f47_500error.png.0412d29d3213f60a3432bfa43308d6b7.png

I have the same wishes as some others... 

I use "NEW CONTENT" when I Log in. This is the only way to see new posts properly on the site I guess.

BUT, I got soooooooo many posts listed. Every new post gets a new line... which is annoying and it makes it a bit messy. 
The old forum only showed one topic (line) no matter how many new posts there is in the thread. 
Now it shows every posts...

I only want to know that the certain topic has been updated with something, I don´t need 10 updates for every post made into it. 

I have tried to adjust my settings in the flow but I don´t get it to work properly. 

Am I doing it wrong or is it impossible at the moment? 

1 person likes this