Game Warden

SAFARITALK THE NEW FORUMS: please report any bugs or suggestions.

346 posts in this topic

Okay - we are up and running on the new software: I appreciate it will take a little while to get used to, but please report any bugs, problems, issues, questions etc., in the replies below so I can begin to address them one by one. 

Thanks, Matt.

2 people like this

Please note that for the next few days, things will be running a little slower than usual.

Thanks, Matt.

The new system looks good.

A suggestion to users: if you saved a bookmark on the old system which included more than just http://safaritalk.net/ (as I did to take me directly to new messages) then you will likely get a 404 Page not found message. Just trim the URL back to http://safaritalk.net/ and save the edited bookmark. My phone does not make editing long lines of code in URLs very easy so it initially took me a few attempts to get in to the new system.

Looking good Matt!  Appears as if you didn't run into too many problems in the transition?  One think I couldn't find was a link to "all" the Posts and New Content, not just specific threads.  Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I'm guessing that personal galleries and the missing images in messages will eventually appear when the background processing is finished

Posted (edited)

Well' it certainly looks different.

But all the photos in my trip report are not visible anymore, and neither are the photos in some other threads.

I get the feeling photos uploaded directly to ST are gone, whereas photo links to other websites may not have been affected?

I certainly hope @JohnR's reply above is also true for these, as I certainly don't look forward to re-loading over 500 images in my current trip report alone!

Edited by Peter Connan
1 person likes this

Yes my Flickr links are still visible.

The only things I don't like is the wasted space on either side of the screen and that the default font size is too small .I usually increase it on my reports but don't bother for replies such as this

However, as you get older your eyesight fails and so a helping hand is appreciated!

Tom Kellie reports that in addition to the "missing images from the galleries" issue that:  

" The Web page view no longer stretched comfortably across my iMac screen, but instead is squeezed into a narrow band in the middle."      Tom says this renders ST unreadable for him...

Posted (edited)

In my image Gallery, I am no longer able to delete images.

I also cannot change their permissions in terms of who can view them.

Edited by offshorebirder

@offshorebirder @Tom Kellie I am using a large screen iMac and Safari browser and do not see this problem. Could you ask Tom which browser he is using and to try using a different browser? Maybe he could try to send a screen shot (cmd-shft-4) to my Uni account (J.Rawnsley@warwick.ac.uk) if his bandwidth allows.

Tom Kellie and I both miss the pull-down menus from the old Safaritalk version.     The new layout forces you to revisit the home page and scroll around every time you want to go to a different forum/area.

1 person likes this

@Game Warden I have used Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera browsers on an iMac running macOS 10.12.5 (Sierra) and have seen no obvious layout problems.

Safari, Firefox, and Opera on my iPhone 5s also work though the screen seems more crowded than the previous version.

Firefox on Windows 10 also looks good.

In the "classic" Safaritalk, when I logged in, it would show me how many new notifications I had, and how many messages I had.   Those seem to have gone away  :-(

I'm using an iMac 21" and it's the issue of wasted space either side of the centre panel I don't like too much. Attaching images is brilliantly simple though!j

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 18.46.14.png

Just now, Dave Williams said:

I'm using an iMac 21" and it's the issue of wasted space either side of the centre panel I don't like too much. Attaching images is brilliantly simple though!j

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 18.46.14.png

That sounds like the same issue @Tom Kellie is experiencing.    

3 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

In the "classic" Safaritalk, when I logged in, it would show me how many new notifications I had, and how many messages I had.   Those seem to have gone away  :-(

Click on the icons at the top of the right hand side of the screen, the bell tells you. @offshorebirder but you might not pick this prompt up unless you read this!!

1 person likes this

It's a huge improvement you can edit old posts you have made too. I hate seeing my spelling mistakes left uncorrected when I found them later. Vury anoying

1 person likes this

Um - where is the "View New Content" button?

@offshorebirder It's called Unread Content now

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

@offshorebirder It's called Unread Content now

I see that but it's not the same - have to do a lot of clicking and selecting to accomplish the former single-click "show me new content".    And repeat that process every time you want to see new content (I had been hoping it would remember your last settings but apparently not).

That, the missing pull-down menus, and some other indications make the new ST seem more unwieldy than classic ST.

Edited by offshorebirder

Searching is not available yet. I searched for "Kenya" across the whole site and got 0 results so I think we need to be patient. Many features which depend on the search function will also not yet work it seems to me.

When I go to the home page, choose "pages", then "Birding" - nothing happens.    Same for "Trip Resources"   "Wildlife" and "Photography".   

This is using Chrome on Microsoft Windows 10.

@offshorebirder Try the top left of this  page then look at activity, you can follow your thread postings and new content there perhaps ? The board has been wiped clean so it's all start again for the time being though.

4 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

When I go to the home page, choose "pages", then "Birding" - nothing happens.    Same for "Trip Resources"   "Wildlife" and "Photography".   

This is using Chrome on Microsoft Windows 10.

Same here.

Posted (edited)

I have just switched to my iMac notebook/laptop ( whatever they call them!) and the green band on either side of the text column has disappeared! Looks great now, a full screen of text.

But no change on the Desktop view.

Edited by Dave Williams