Lyss

The Lolita vs The Great Migration

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Great Migration is starting to trickle into the Mara from what our live guide from safariLive told us on the sunrise. Recently I was reading a bit about the migration and I came across the Lolita Migration which also occurs within the Mara, but is not as big as the Great.

I haven't heard about the Lolita migration before this year and I was wondering if maybe there were some in here that can explain what the difference between the two are? Obviously I know the Great comes from the Serengeti, but what is the Lolita about? Are they different populations of wildebeest or something like that?

Thank you for any information.

Edited by Lyss

Posted (edited)

@@Lyss...

From the Porini Ol Kinyei page: https://www.porini.com/kenya/parks-and-reserves/ol-kinyei-conservancy/

This is a great location from which to observe the Great Wildebeest Migration (generally June to October), and there is another Wildebeest Migration from Kenya’s Loita Plains to the Mara which moves into Ol Kinyei Conservancy earlier, usually by January. The calving takes place there during February and March when the plains of the conservancy are teeming with wildebeest before they move through Naboisho Conservancy and into Olare Motorogi and the Mara Reserve.

photo source: http://maasaimarascience.org/the-maasai-mara-challenges/

post-48414-0-56089100-1496596806_thumb.png

Edited by AmyT
3 people like this

And from Jake Grieves-Cook:

The Loita migration goes through Ol Kinyei, Naboisho and into Olare Motorogi and spill over into Mara North and into the Mara Reserve. The wildebeest calve in Feb/Mar in Ol Kinyei and then move in April / May through Naboisho and get to Olare Motorogi in June for the rutting season and then they start turning round a few weeks later. Owing to all the fencing beyond Ol Kinyei a lot of the habitat towards the Loita Plains has been lost so it is a good thing that we set up the conservancies as that is giving the Loita wildebeest some protected rangeland.
Here is a Mara map highlighting the location of the conservancies of Ol Kinyei, Naboisho and Olare Motorogi:
post-48414-0-59254800-1496597921_thumb.jpg
3 people like this

That's really fascinating. Thank you for sharing all that information.

I decided not to start the new topic but continue here. 

This year in November Mara plains look as if migration never left. There are thousands of wildebeests and zebras. We talked to a lot of people including Nat Geo and everybody agrees that is very unusual. The theory is that these are Loita herds that are locked in Mara now due to heavily fencing around (fencing has been there for a few years, but they say that it grew a lot during last year). Have somebody heard if it is true? What would be the impact on Mara plains? Will it be able to provide food for these herds all year round?

1 person likes this