Namibia 2017: Two Cats on a hot Tin Roof

xelas

Driving towards Rietfontein waterhole we have encounter our first and only traffic jam in Etosha; way too many cars and overlander trucks were jostling for the best position; some of those drivers would really need a quick course of safari game driving :angry:.

The reason for that mess was a lone elephant bull whom I have nicknamed White Ghost. He was calm but huge! And so close to the road.

Nam2017-527.JPG.481d12741363857596495dd21b7fbefd.JPG

Nam2017-528.JPG.3b949ddc95325dc1f5fa053ef5055c38.JPG

Nam2017-529.JPG.67fe7441c1637c7c65fc89d888abac2d.JPG

There is no such thing as a lens too long ;)when the animal is close a photographer can always concentrate on details B)

Nam2017-530.JPG.a02252f5061bea2ca26e912097bc5b33.JPG

Next we drove towards Etosha Pan; not that we hoped for any wildlife to be seen there but the vast white surface is something special to be seen, specially in the heat of the midday.

Nam2017-531.JPG.dfb8013b88dada48d568ce6d4925833a.JPG

A lone giraffe blocking the road

Nam2017-532.JPG.ef816d294db0aa9c503277fb3c21d7fb.JPG

Purple Rollers are not that colourful as LBR but much rarer to see

Nam2017-533.JPG.032f774ec72803e49de62e9ed43854d6.JPG

This was a very different day; instead of many animals we have enjoyed in spectacular landscapes, and apart of one traffic jam, the rest of the drives were slow and relaxing. Even a slow day is a great day when in Etosha!

Nam2017-534.JPG.82dda1c4c669ac5a36ba0ce184ebc447.JPG

Edited by xelas

Thunderstorm pictures are really wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An excellent trip report and of course beautiful photographs xelas!

1 hour ago, Levante said:

To watch them life was even better!

18 minutes ago, Davesg said:

An excellent trip report and of course beautiful photographs xelas!

Hello @Davesg ! Does you car gives you any more problems ;)?! A note to myself: do not rent Land Rover :P. Joking of course.

Thank you very much for your kind words. And same goes to your trip reports! BTW, our next Africa destination: Cape Town (in January 2018).

That evening we have hosted a "big" TA GTG meeting. Beside Dave and her wife Nitya both from India, also Martin and Vladka from Slovakia arrived in the camp. They are an exemption to an usual visitor to Namibia. Their car of choice was a tiny VW Vivo (= VW Polo) and for camping part of their trip they have used a small ground tent. Those that have followed TA Namibia forum will surely remember Martin "Speedy Gonzales" M - I am glad to report he has listened to (some) of our advices, and that he and Vladka has reached the end of their journey without any major problem or damage to the car.

Travel stories were shared, and invitation to visits also. It was something that I always love the most when travelling: meeting with like-minded fellow travellers! We are now apologising to all guests as we were not that good of a hosts; no food was prepared as we all were just way to busy with listening and talking :D. But hopefully no one left the place thirsty. Thank you, Dave and Nitya and Martin and Vladka for that long evening, it will remain remembered for a very long time!

Edited by xelas

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Hello @Davesg ! Does you car gives you any more problems ;)?! A note to myself: do not rent Land Rover :P. Joking of course.

Thank you very much for your kind words. And same goes to your trip reports! BTW, our next Africa destination: Cape Town (in January 2018).

The car is in for repairs as we speak...an electronic problem and they're struggling to identify which connection is causing the problem! :-)

Maybe you could set aside some time to meet when you come to Cape Town?

I am truly enjoying your wonderful report, @xelas ! Again lots of great pictures: the thunderstorm, the Red-necked falcon, the impressive elephant, keep them coming!

7 hours ago, Davesg said:

The car is in for repairs as we speak...an electronic problem and they're struggling to identify which connection is causing the problem! :-)

Maybe you could set aside some time to meet when you come to Cape Town?

@Davesg, I have sent you a PM !

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

I am truly enjoying your wonderful report, @xelas ! Again lots of great pictures: the thunderstorm, the Red-necked falcon, the impressive elephant, keep them coming!

There are still some nice ones to be posted, plus a "Special edition" post :)!

1 hour ago, Tdgraves said:

@xelas your LBJ looks like a desert cisticola

Thanks a lot, @Tdgraves ! I would never found it by myself :unsure:.

Dave Williams

Stunning photos making the most of the wonderful light you were lucky to experience. What a difference from our trip!.

13 hours ago, Levante said:

I agree

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Stunning photos making the most of the wonderful light you were lucky to experience. What a difference from our trip!.

Dave, I am so sorry you have missed the light. Maybe next time we could join our forces?!

One more morning to drive the roads around Halali camp. Our prefered is still a short side road that connects the main road after Rietfontein with Salvadora. This narrow track has a special place in our "safari memory" as the place where we had our first (or two) leopard sightings back in 2014.

This time, no leopards but as the saying goes, the hope dies last ^_^. While there were no leopards hidden below the bushes, there were enough birds on top of them.

Sabota Lark

Nam2017-535.JPG.87691aa747ecacefc0c6f8e3d97c0cf7.JPG

Juvenile Namaqua Dove

Nam2017-536.JPG.8bb3861d8deecce2ff05c2232f4eacc1.JPG

Scally-featherd Finch (Weaver) waiting for his partner with a bouquet

Nam2017-537.JPG.4a15a15b56ed681104e49ebe14b36d31.JPG

Also no lions at Salvadora. Not a surprise anymore, plenty of food to be found elsewhere. There was a lonely Kori Bustard, which finally displayed how gorgeous he can be.

Nam2017-538.JPG.60a3d755c4572a91ad01152318d41903.JPG

Nam2017-539.JPG.12fcc67abffcf2b86f0b4c00032ba4d3.JPG

And no visit to Salvadora waterfall can pass without taking a photo of The Tree.

Nam2017-540.JPG.517b99453b9599ade593cfe06c29f1e7.JPG

It was a Black-chested Snake Eagle this time next to Charitsaub waterhole. Zvezda took many photos but only at home we have seen that one of the bird descents into the tall grass has been successful; on later photos (not sharp enough to be posted here) we saw that the snake was just too big of a snack for this bird, and it has to drop it. Later on, to put the salt on the injury, same bird has been harassed by a drongo (??).

Nam2017-541.JPG.b1cc5f45c97ef7e63a9b1737e88e5ecb.JPG

Nam2017-542.JPG.955acbc4d36208194ac8f11690c381f2.JPG

As a farewell photo from the animal kingdom in this part of Etosha, a portrait of a lovely Black-faced Impala. No big cats this time, but we have enjoyed the drives and the vibe of Halali section of Etosha, even more than of the Okakuejo part. Still the favourite for us.

Nam2017-543.JPG.b7c23422396d858492402b779a937600.JPG

Halali Camp is smaller then Okakuejo, but its layout is nicer, with a small hill as a backdrop. The campsites have more shade, and chalets are having more space around. Also here we have been upgraded, from Family Chalet to Mushara House. This house is very comfortable, with kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. Best, however, is outside the house; huge braai area and a nice terrace. Moringa waterhole inside the camp has an amphiteather type of watching area.

Entry gate

Nam2017-544.JPG.3b0639bee53732143101539d3aa4e49a.JPG

Living room

Nam2017-545.JPG.8e6cfad825c9903b3afd82fbbbf9d756.JPG

Bedroom #1

Nam2017-546.thumb.JPG.21862e4eb183c80f53cd382e39a3d35b.JPG

Bedroom #2

Nam2017-547.JPG.d07c2b7555c8045c466b65883e9940d5.JPG

Bathroom

Nam2017-548.thumb.JPG.e7304a6030e6d889e6278df814171394.JPG

Braai area

Nam2017-549.JPG.f869ce89e9df481d9cafcd0fd4615c23.JPG

Mushara House

Nam2017-550.JPG.ec4f8e6568f5d2d15d657bb8a4b1e285.JPG

3 hours ago, xelas said:

And no visit to Salvadora waterfall can pass without taking a photo of The Tree.

A waterfall in Etosha ... that would be a sight to behold. So yes, it should be a waterhole. At least there is water in both words B).

Dave Williams

Mushara House looks very impressive. The Eagle shot was well taken, shame it's got it's back to the camera but the one in flight is stunning to compensate.

That Tree is indeed one of the most photogenic trees I've ever seen. So your luck with "loop road" did not work this time !  Met the resident Honey Badger of Halali ? Okaukuezo is like a zoo, Halali is way better. 

Peter Connan
6 hours ago, Chakra said:

That Tree is indeed one of the most photogenic trees I've ever seen. So your luck with "loop road" did not work this time !  Met the resident Honey Badger of Halali ? Okaukuezo is like a zoo, Halali is way better. 

How can you say it did not work, if they saw a snake-eagle catching a puff adder? This is a far rarer sight than a leopard hiding under a bush!

;)

I wonder if the snake survived?

Edited by Peter Connan

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

How can you say it did not work, if they saw a snake-eagle catching a puff adder? This is a far rarer sight than a leopard hiding under a bush!

;)

I wonder if the snake survived?

Of course, I take back my words. 

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Mushara House looks very impressive. The Eagle shot was well taken, shame it's got it's back to the camera but the one in flight is stunning to compensate.

Even more shame it is out of 5 photos only 1 was in focus :angry:. Maybe it is time to move to D500 B)?!

9 hours ago, Chakra said:

We have only see the morning results of the resident Honey Badger, but Martin and Vladka has met him when walking from our late night meeting. Both camp officials and NWR rangers have scratched their heads trying to find out the best way to evict it :D!

We liked Halali and its vibe much more then Okakuejo ... but staying at PWC #33 helped us to cope with the "zoo effect" of the later ;).