Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tulips

East African Visa Kenya

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Going to Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda in August and starting with Kenya.

Researching the East Africa Visa as I was intending to obtain towards mid June. However, the visa doesn't seem to be available on the Kenya e Visa website. The Kenyan High Commission site lists a link for an application form but under type of visa the only types listed are: Single Entry, Multiple Entry or Business

http://kenyahighcommission.ca/consular-services/visa-services/east-africa-visas/

I also looked at doing individual visa, but the Rwandan one is only good for 30 days which means I can't apply until mid August and I can't be without my passport then as I leave then. Also, the Rwandan website referred to an invitation letter. I've never seen anyone on here post about needing such a letter.

The Canadian Govt travel website strongly recommends having the visa in advance. I don't want to be refused boarding because of this.

Am I making a mountain out of nothing and should just wait til I get there? Just don't want to spend all this money to have the airline deny boarding because their site says the visa is needed ahead of time.

Anyone?

I am not from Canada (USA)so cannot be positive, but I got all my visas on arrival.  These were two separate trips for the three countries you mention, but all visas were available upon arrival.  I did buy three visas-one for each country so I have no experience with East Africa Visa.  

I inderstand your worry but think you'll be fine.  I was concerned too but had no problems boarding when they asked about a visa I just said I was getting it on arrival.  

Wishing you you the best.

1 person likes this

Just arrived in Nairobi 6 hours ago. We were not asked about our visa until we arrived. There are several lines upon arrival but we were sent to a Eastern African visa line when I asked which line to enter with our E-visa.  We were never asked about our Yellow Fever vaccines (as an aside)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pamshelton3932 said:

I am not from Canada (USA)so cannot be positive, but I got all my visas on arrival.  These were two separate trips for the three countries you mention, but all visas were available upon arrival.  I did buy three visas-one for each country so I have no experience with East Africa Visa.  

I inderstand your worry but think you'll be fine.  I was concerned too but had no problems boarding when they asked about a visa I just said I was getting it on arrival.  

Wishing you you the best.

Thanks @Pamshelton3932.  It does set my mind at ease.

37 minutes ago, AmyT said:

Just arrived in Nairobi 6 hours ago. We were not asked about our visa until we arrived. There are several lines upon arrival but we were sent to a Eastern African visa line when I asked which line to enter with our E-visa.  We were never asked about our Yellow Fever vaccines (as an aside)

@AmyT  so exciting.... I hope you have a great trip and post about it on your return.

Are you going to more countries than Kenya?  I had my Yellow Fever jab two years ago, so thankfully, that isn't a concern as I hear there is a shortage.

I'm from the U.S. and when my husband and I went to Ethiopia, Rwanda and Kenya (in that order) in February, we got our Rwandan visa online first. (It did not seem less expensive to get the East African one so we got three separate ones). Getting the Rwandan one in advance online was a huge hassle and when we got there it actually was faster to go in the line for people who DIDN'T have one yet so I would never get one in advance again!

1 person likes this

Thanks @SafariChick

i was was able to call the High Commision in Ottawa today and they advised me to send a cover letter with my application explaining that I want the East African Visa and to add a box on the application form for the Visa.

I am starting in Kenya then Rwanda and then Uganda.

I think I would prefer to have the Visa in hand even if the line up isn't any faster.

1 person likes this