Central Namibia Self-drive: beauty in a harsh land

Peter Connan

15 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Thank you @PeterHG, @monalisaand @Elsa Hoffmann

Peter, perhaps the next time you are in SA we can have a GTG? You can teach me about birds, and i can teach you the night sky recipe?

Elsa, are you back from the Karoo NP? Did you have fun?

A GTG in South Africa? What about second week of January 2018 in Cape Town, @Peter Connan ? I hope @Elsa Hoffmann will be around :) also.

As you will notice on my next post, I need a LOT of night sky photo tutoring :o.

Elsa Hoffmann

@xelas I Live in Cape Town - so yes I am here.

@Peter Connan might not be though - as he lives in a small little settlement somewhere outside of Cape Town :)

GTG's are always great fun. 

@Peter Connan - I did one or two night sky photos - but uhm.... it was cold... 

3 hours ago, Elsa Hoffmann said:

@xelas I Live in Cape Town - so yes I am here.

@Peter Connan might not be though - as he lives in a small little settlement somewhere outside of Cape Town :)

GTG's are always great fun. 

@Peter Connan - I did one or two night sky photos - but uhm.... it was cold... 

Yes, @Elsa Hoffmann, in Marina de Gama; see you there between Wednesday, 10 January till Sunday, 14 January 2018 :D!

How could we lure @Peter Connan to join us in a birding trip?! Oh, I know; what about a huge Gorenjka chocolate :P??

Elsa Hoffmann

@xelas - if @Peter Connan can come down - he surely will. And Gorenjka chocolates will certainly help :)

Just contact me closer to the time, and we can arrange something. LOTS of birds around here. 

Peter Connan

I would love to come, but i very much doubt i will be able to.

@Elsa Hoffmann , i will look out for those. 

@xelas , january will be bad for night sky fotos, as the milky way will be below the horizon. Best time is pretty much right now...

But as Elsa mentioned, there is some health risk...

Edited by Peter Connan

@Peter Connan

Thank you, I really enjoyed your TR and your beautiful photos. I especially liked your nightshot of the milky way with the quiver tree.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @AndMic

• 2 weeks later...

@Peter Connan Better late than never to a TR.

your photos are some of the best I have seen on ST, what an awesome family road trip.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Hads

Hi @Peter Connan very useful report and beautiful picture. I refer to page 3 / post 60 (I didn't want to quote the whole post). To go from Swakopmund to Uis do you think this road is feasable in one day trip ?

Swako-Uis.PNG

The alternative is to travel along the road you did i.e. Swakopmund / Cape Cross / Messum Crater / Uis. May be shorter and ok from Cape Cross to the Crater, but awful - according to your experience - from Crater till D2342

What do you think ? Thanks

Edited by Levante

Peter Connan

Thanks @Levante

Unfortunately i don't know that road.

However, T4a has a note on the D2303: "Not recommended".

Have you considered the C35? That is an easy 1-day route.