12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had not intended to post this trip on ST, but now that it has been referenced here, I thought I may as well put it up here for any of you who may be interested in joining. We are running 2 back-to-back trips in March 2018, led by Doug MacDonald. There are 6 spots in each group. Group 1 is fully booked and group 2 has 4 slots remaining, so feel free to PM me if interested. The details of the trip can be found here:

https://www.chaloafrica.com/safari-tours/chad/safari-zakouma-national-park-chad-2018/

With all the new rules and restrictions being envisaged for 2019 onwards, this looks more and more like a pretty good deal :D

Doug and I started putting this trip together a long time ago, and it makes us very happy to think of it as a solid model for the future.

Edited by Sangeeta
4 people like this

A sharp-eyed reader just told me that we have a zebra image in our wetu itinerary... mea culpa - there are no zebras in Zakouma. and I'll only believe the hippo stories if I see them for myself :D

2 people like this

@@Sangeeta I think it's a very good compromise what you offer. Unfortunately for this time of 2018 we have another plan. I really hope that you can find a solution for 2019 to continue with this kind of trips to Zakouma. If so please let me know.

1 person likes this

Looks like a terrific trip @@Sangeeta

Regarding the single supplement; do all single travellers pay? or are single travellers paired up if possible?

1 person likes this

Oh, how I wish I could join this trip! How many spaces are still available?

1 person likes this

@@Soukous, thank you! Ignoring the naysayers.

To your question, if singles are willing & able to share, then there is no SS.

@@AmyT, I got your PM and have responded. Thanks.

1 person likes this

If anyone is considering this trip and are wondering about some of the negative comments being posted elsewhere, I'd just like to say that I'd go on this trip if I was free.

During our recent safari to Zakouma we had excellent sightings around Tinga despite staying at Camp Nomade. The waterhole was worth visiting in its own right. We saw a roan with what is believed to be a record set of horns (according to the Rowland Ward records). If you can't access Reguiek there are many other pans with amazing congregations of birds. Our best lion sightings were down along the Salamat where we also had wonderful elephant sightings. This is far from CN and Reguiek.

Maybe Tinga isn't as picturesque as a tented camp but hey, if it means you can get to Zakouma and with a guide of Doug's calibre, I wouldn't hesitate.

As far as fly camping is concerned, if the operators are prepared to offer it then who are we to complain. As they say, go whilst the going is good.

8 people like this

Adding to @@twaffle's comments above...

As Camp Nomade guests, we encountered at least one Tinga camp vehicle on several occasions. We survived.

4 people like this

Hey @Sangeeta - can you say a little about what Tinga is like now? I believe they have done some updates over the past few years - do you have some photos of it? Thanks!

@SafariChick - so sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. I promise to put some pictures up very soon - both here and on Kit's report so that people can visualize Tinga. Kit has talked beautifully about the Tinga waterhole and our experience there, so not very much that I can add to it in terms of what we saw and did there, but perhaps I should cut and paste that section of her TR here, or reference the relevant bits of her TR here, so that it's easier for people to get all that info in one place. Thanks for bearing with me and being so patient!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

For those of you traveling with us on this trip - plus for those of you who may be interested in what the Tinga rooms and facilities look like, here are some photos taken this past February by me when I was at Zakouma. The re-furbed room were occupied at the time, so I could not visit them. But it was a only a soft refurb, so not much was changed other than the soft furnishings.

I'll also upload these in Kit's trip report since I had promised to do that. I have not edited these images at all - they are straight up from the camera.

I have inserted a Camp Nomade vehicle image here - with proper bucket seats and great suspension. The other vehicle images are of the Tinga Camp vehicles - much more basic, but they have the wicker canopy too, and that is the most important thing in Zakouma as the sun is very strong and the shade really helps.

IMG_8211.JPG

Mess / lounge area

IMG_8212.JPG

Mes/lounge area - very nice and shady and very comfortable, I thought.

IMG_8213.JPG

Bandas / rooms

IMG_8214.JPG

Views from Tinga

IMG_8215.JPG

Views from Tinga

IMG_8216.JPG

Menu du jour

IMG_8217.JPG

Curio shop

IMG_8218.JPG

Bar area

IMG_8655.JPG

This is the Tinga vehicle

IMG_8220.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

Typical Tinga bedroom - there is a ceiling fan

IMG_8222.JPG

Tinga room

IMG_8223.JPG

Tinga bath close up

IMG_8224.JPG

Tinga shower

IMG_8225.JPG

Tinga toilet

IMG_8226.JPG

Tinga and I :D

IMG_8404.JPG

Close-up of Tinga vehicle seats

IMG_8228.JPG

Tinga water tower

IMG_8229.JPG

Mohamet and Tinga ceiling fan!

IMG_8230.JPG

Nice stucco wall outside - keeps the interiors relatively cool.

IMG_8231.JPG

More lounge

IMG_8232.JPG

Lovely sit out and fire pit - the lions were just around the bend from here at the water hole

IMG_8233.JPG

Staff vehicle

IMG_8234.JPG

Tinga wall stuff

IMG_8235.JPG

Tinga beverage station

IMG_8236.JPG

Tinga curios

IMG_8237.JPG

Lovely Tinga curios

IMG_8238.JPG

Camp Nomade vehicle

Edited by Sangeeta
4 people like this

thanks for that @Sangeeta that is really helpful.

1 person likes this