See all Safaritalk Special Offers

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had not intended to post this trip on ST, but now that it has been referenced here, I thought I may as well put it up here for any of you who may be interested in joining. We are running 2 back-to-back trips in March 2018, led by Doug MacDonald. There are 6 spots in each group. Group 1 is fully booked and group 2 has 4 slots remaining, so feel free to PM me if interested. The details of the trip can be found here:

https://www.chaloafrica.com/safari-tours/chad/safari-zakouma-national-park-chad-2018/

With all the new rules and restrictions being envisaged for 2019 onwards, this looks more and more like a pretty good deal :D

Doug and I started putting this trip together a long time ago, and it makes us very happy to think of it as a solid model for the future.

Edited by Sangeeta
4 people like this

A sharp-eyed reader just told me that we have a zebra image in our wetu itinerary... mea culpa - there are no zebras in Zakouma. and I'll only believe the hippo stories if I see them for myself :D

2 people like this

@@Sangeeta I think it's a very good compromise what you offer. Unfortunately for this time of 2018 we have another plan. I really hope that you can find a solution for 2019 to continue with this kind of trips to Zakouma. If so please let me know.

1 person likes this

Looks like a terrific trip @@Sangeeta

Regarding the single supplement; do all single travellers pay? or are single travellers paired up if possible?

1 person likes this

Oh, how I wish I could join this trip! How many spaces are still available?

1 person likes this

@@Soukous, thank you! Ignoring the naysayers.

To your question, if singles are willing & able to share, then there is no SS.

@@AmyT, I got your PM and have responded. Thanks.

1 person likes this

If anyone is considering this trip and are wondering about some of the negative comments being posted elsewhere, I'd just like to say that I'd go on this trip if I was free.

During our recent safari to Zakouma we had excellent sightings around Tinga despite staying at Camp Nomade. The waterhole was worth visiting in its own right. We saw a roan with what is believed to be a record set of horns (according to the Rowland Ward records). If you can't access Reguiek there are many other pans with amazing congregations of birds. Our best lion sightings were down along the Salamat where we also had wonderful elephant sightings. This is far from CN and Reguiek.

Maybe Tinga isn't as picturesque as a tented camp but hey, if it means you can get to Zakouma and with a guide of Doug's calibre, I wouldn't hesitate.

As far as fly camping is concerned, if the operators are prepared to offer it then who are we to complain. As they say, go whilst the going is good.

8 people like this

Adding to @@twaffle's comments above...

As Camp Nomade guests, we encountered at least one Tinga camp vehicle on several occasions. We survived.

4 people like this

Hey @Sangeeta - can you say a little about what Tinga is like now? I believe they have done some updates over the past few years - do you have some photos of it? Thanks!