See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Getting lost in the St Lucia wilderness

St Lucia KZN Crocodile Wetland Adventure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RobC

RobC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 05:44 AM
  • Category 1:Researcher
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

As an up-and-coming ecologist, I have always had a sense of adventure. My research has given me the privilege of visiting wilderness areas across South Africa, spending large portions of my MSc degree walking through the Greater Kruger National Park, encountering elephants, buffalo and white rhino on foot. Although I would like to think of myself as fairly competent when walking through a wilderness area, this was not always the case. Back in April 2011, as a young first year BSc student, I undertook my first trip on my own, visiting St Lucia in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province. Although the trip itself was incredible, a single event on my final day stole the headlines of my stay. Below is my diary entry from that day.

http://www.news24.co...erness-20170503

St Lucia  Directions.jpg

Mangrove Swamp 2.jpg

Cut Legs.jpg

• Atravelynn and lmSA84 like this

#2 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

A harrowing tale indeed.  I can imagine your heart beating faster and faster in your chest as the "stalker" grew near.  Good thing you had no more croc encounters.  Those scratches look painful.  All good fun in hindsight, though.

• RobC likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: St Lucia, KZN, Crocodile, Wetland, Adventure

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.