plambers

favorite mosquite repellent with deet

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Deet is starting to loose its effectiveness

for insect repellents please sciencedaily see a site which summarises scientific research in a non technical manner

the most effective non chemical agents are lemon scented ecalyptus oil and cinnamon leave oil; which are both as effective as deet but have to be applied more often

lemon scented ecalyptus oil is not the commonly sold variety which works very effectively for stain removal , treating cuts and other things

LS ecalyptus and cinnamon leaf oil can be obtained from the fishpond internet sites , there are Australian , New Zealand versions and there may be some others

I have just been on safari and used them mixed into an essential oil body wash, with some corn flour to thicken it

it dries very quickly , then I put on the sunscreen

I had tested this before I went away and found that it absorbed well

some sites suggest that you makes your own mix in a spray bottle with water or olive oil as a carrier

this sounds like a real mess to me ,especially if the top gets loose

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Insect repellents are always to be kept away from the eyes and mouth

If anyone does want to use DEET please test it before you go away

I used it once ,then very quickly developed skin hives the diameter of a pencil

Battery powered electronic noise generating devices clipped on a shirt pocket , do not work

wrist bands with repellent in them only last for a few hours if you just read the directions on the packet

your first defence is to wear a long sleeve shirt with the top button done up and long trousers made from neutral colored fabric

there are shirts on the market which claim to have repellent in them , but I just had to touch one briefly to get irritated

as this happened and I had no intention of getting one , I did not read the label as to what they are treated with

Deet has been banned in Sth Africa

some shops are selling repellents with oils from some common garden plants, these are not effective against malaria carrying misquitos

If it means anything an American doctor I meet at Umlani camp was using lemon scented ecalyptus for his personal needs

as I told him it was not easy to find , he gave me to rest of the bottle he had an would no longer need

Repel has a LS ecalyptus spray , it is in a screw top bottle

If anyone takes it , unscrewing it and glueing it shut would be a good idea

I always carry repellent, sunscreen and hand gel in a small cosmetics purse so I can find them easily , and if there is a leak they do not make a big mess

I was wondering about repellant as well.  I'm going to Tanzania in Mid-September.  My two night at the crater ought to be OK, because it is high altitude.  Lake mantra and the Northern Serengeti may be a problem.  My question is were or not you can buy that stuff in Tanzania.  The bottles of the good stuff, or the sprays, seem to be larger than TSA will allow in carry on baggage (I only have carry on) and I'd hate to buy it and have it confiscated at the airport.

@Steven NY a good alternative is to buy wipes. You can buy DEET wipes but I prefer these Natrapel Wipes, they are as effective as DEET and less destructive to plastics and (hopefully) one's health. They should be fine in carry on.

https://www.amazon.com/Natrapel-Mosquito-Insect-Repellent-Individually-Wrapped/dp/B001ARBSTO?th=1

That said, I'm sure you can buy repellent in TZ, and many camps have repellent in the room, but since I don't want to use DEET, I bring my own.

• picardin has concerns with side effects  but less than deet
  • wipes  are going to be bulky 
  • it might be best if you contact the airline or your agent to  see what is allowed as cabin luggage
  • spray cans will not be allowed as cabin luggage
  • check with the camp  to see it guest rooms have any repellent suppied
  • so you are certain that no checked bag is allowed

I don't find the wipes bulky at all, they are quite flat and I can stick them in any available pocket.  I also like that unlike spray or even lotion, they can easily be applied avoiding eyes, mouth etc.

But its all a matter of preference, I was just suggesting an alternative :)

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, COSMIC RHINO said:
  •  
  • so you are certain that no checked bag is allowed

I'm not taking anything large enough to be checked.  My duffel is carry on, as is my backpack with my photo equipment.

My personal favourite is Rid which is an Australian Product I think.  It's deet based which is not for everyone, but if you don't mind that then they do a 50ml roll-on which is fairly compact and well within TSA guidelines. I've used it for my past two trips and will do so again this year.

I've used OFF - Deep Woods or something like that,, for years when I go golfing.  It has deep, so i know I can handle that.  Only question for any of this is putting it in checked luggage.  I'll look for the roll-on you mentioned.  thanks.  

Posted (edited)

Effective bug control means checking in your duffle bag  so you are allowed to travel  with liquids

we like others here are uneasy about deet

I used it once and it gave me hives and it effectivness  is falling 

lemon eucalyptus oil and cinnamon leaf  oil as just as effective  but have to be applied more often

please  see 

ScienceDaily. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151110171919.htm 

the original open access can be found at 

1. Stacy D. Rodriguez and others   The Efficacy of Some Commercially Available Insect Repellents forAedes aegypti(Diptera: Culicidae) andAedes albopictus(Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Insect Science, 2015; 15 (1): 140 DOI: 10.1093/jisesa/iev125

cbtcesdeawaewbubtw

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

@COSMIC RHINO I've edited your post above: please provide a link to an article rather than cutting and pasting text from another website.

Thanks Matt.