cjt3

RwandAir Baggage Policies

4 posts in this topic

Flying on RwandAir out of Kigali, how strict are they on carry-on baggage (both number of items and weight)? We expect to be at 15kg each to meet the weight restrictions for our shuttle flights, but RwandAir has a one bag and 10kg per person limit for carry-on items. We are flying RwandAir from Kigali to Nairobi, so curious to know if they follow one restriction more closely than the other. In other words, would the two of us have a better chance of being able to carry on three bags total that weigh 10kg each, or two bags total that are overweight at 15kg each?

Alternatively, if I just need to resign myself to checking one bag, how is the baggage claim process in Nairobi?

Because of the weight restriction, I decided to check my bag from Kigali to Nairobi. My bag was under 15 kg but not under 10 kg. I wasn't told to check it, I just did as my friend was checking her much larger bag anyway. As there were literally fewer than 12 people who got off our flight in Nairobi (I am not exaggerating) the bags were on the carousel by the time we got to them, after immigration and yellow fever cert check and a trip to the restroom. I have no idea how that flight continues to operate. It seems to be the Kigali-Nairobi-Entebbe milk run and there weren't more than 20-25 people on it.

1 person likes this

Thanks, @@amybatt. Carrying everything on would still be my preference, but good to know that if we do need to check bags it doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle.

@@cjt3, I'd gone carry on from the US through to Kigali at that point. It wasn't my preference to check the bag, but I did just to avoid hassle. The other thing that was odd about this particular flight is that it got in an hour earlier than expected. The routing was supposed to be Entebbe first and then Nairobi, but it got switched between the time we booked it and when we took the flight. When we got to the Kigali airport, security didn't even want to let us in because our flight number had changed too. What is odder still is that I'd spoken with Rwandair a month before we left because I never received an e-ticket, only a receipt, so they resent the e-ticket with an incorrect/changed flight number. Our guide explained the situation to security and they finally let us through to talk to customer service. At 5 a.m. they had to dig someone up to come to the counter to process us correctly.