See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
offshorebirder

U.S. yellow fever vaccine supply will be gone by this summer, but CDC has a plan

7 posts in this topic

"U.S. health officials on Friday warned of a new complication in the fight to contain mosquito-borne viruses spreading around the world: The country's supply of yellow fever vaccine is dwindling and will likely be completely gone by this summer — with no way to make more because of a manufacturing problem."

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Marty Cetron said the CDC has been collaborating with the Food and Drug Administration and Sanofi Pasteur, which makes the vaccine, to address the shortage by expanding access to a different type of yellow fever vaccine that will be imported from France. That vaccine, Stamaril, is considered investigational and is unlicensed in the United States but is registered in more than 70 other countries and is believed to have a comparable safety and efficacy profile to the one currently in use in the United States."

"The main issue for consumers will be that the number of clinics offering the new yellow fever vaccine will be greatly reduced, from about 4,000 to 250, because of the increased complexity of monitoring and data gathering through the expanded access program, which is similar to a clinical trial."

"“People who are accustomed to doing things at the last minute should know it may take longer to assure they can get to the right clinic. They should plan ahead,” Cetron said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/04/28/u-s-yellow-fever-vaccine-supply-will-be-gone-by-this-summer-but-cdc-has-a-plan/

2 people like this

Interesting and good to know. Fortunately now the one shot is apparently good for life, but I just wonder if all of the countries that require it for inbound travel are adhering to that. Our 10-year period is just about up on our initial shot...I don't plan to get it again, but I can just see arriving at some country where its required and they don't want to accept a 10+ year-old certificate.

3 people like this

Interesting and good to know. Fortunately now the one shot is apparently good for life, but I just wonder if all of the countries that require it for inbound travel are adhering to that. Our 10-year period is just about up on our initial shot...I don't plan to get it again, but I can just see arriving at some country where its required and they don't want to accept a 10+ year-old certificate.

I am in the same boat and have exactly the same concern. I would hate to be refused entry or even worse required to get a jab in some back room of an airport in Africa. This actually happened to a friend of mine even though the shot is supposed to take 10 days to become effective. God only knows what was in the syringe and how clean it was. He was also required to pay a $50 fee, (but surprisingly, they wouldn't give him a receipt...).

I am in the same boat and have exactly the same concern. I would hate to be refused entry or even worse required to get a jab in some back room of an airport in Africa. This actually happened to a friend of mine even though the shot is supposed to take 10 days to become effective. God only knows what was in the syringe and how clean it was. He was also required to pay a $50 fee, (but surprisingly, they wouldn't give him a receipt...).

I think this might have been the point I abandoned the trip and headed home - I'm not a great fan of receiving unneccessary injections and certainly not if I have any doubt about the risk involved.

1 person likes this

And another one who's 10 year certificate has "expired" - I'll be taking a copy of the WHO guidelines, though whether it would be any use is another matter.

My sister also had @@PT123 's friends experience & had a syringe & rusty needle waved at her whilst transiting through Uganda once because she hadn't got a YF certificate. She was on her first posting with the UK Foreign Office and very naive on the corrupt practices prevalent in so many places, not just in Africa and unaware that a folded $20 note would have quickly resolved the "problem"!

1 person likes this

That would have been twenty bucks well spent!

1 person likes this