See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

U.S. yellow fever vaccine supply will be gone by this summer, but CDC has a plan

yellow fever vaccine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Local time: 04:43 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

"U.S. health officials on Friday warned of a new complication in the fight to contain mosquito-borne viruses spreading around the world: The country's supply of yellow fever vaccine is dwindling and will likely be completely gone by this summer — with no way to make more because of a manufacturing problem."

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Marty Cetron said the CDC has been collaborating with the Food and Drug Administration and Sanofi Pasteur, which makes the vaccine, to address the shortage by expanding access to a different type of yellow fever vaccine that will be imported from France. That vaccine, Stamaril, is considered investigational and is unlicensed in the United States but is registered in more than 70 other countries and is believed to have a comparable safety and efficacy profile to the one currently in use in the United States."

"The main issue for consumers will be that the number of clinics offering the new yellow fever vaccine will be greatly reduced, from about 4,000 to 250, because of the increased complexity of monitoring and data gathering through the expanded access program, which is similar to a clinical trial."

"“People who are accustomed to doing things at the last minute should know it may take longer to assure they can get to the right clinic. They should plan ahead,” Cetron said."

https://www.washingt...cdc-has-a-plan/

• PT123 and AmyT like this
https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#2 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for the update @offshorebirder

#3 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Interesting and good to know. Fortunately now the one shot is apparently good for life, but I just wonder if all of the countries that require it for inbound travel are adhering to that. Our 10-year period is just about up on our initial shot...I don't plan to get it again, but I can just see arriving at some country where its required and they don't want to accept a 10+ year-old certificate.

• PT123, wilddog and offshorebirder like this

#4 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

Interesting and good to know. Fortunately now the one shot is apparently good for life, but I just wonder if all of the countries that require it for inbound travel are adhering to that. Our 10-year period is just about up on our initial shot...I don't plan to get it again, but I can just see arriving at some country where its required and they don't want to accept a 10+ year-old certificate.

I am in the same boat and have exactly the same concern.  I would hate to be refused entry or even worse required to get a jab in some back room of an airport in Africa.  This actually happened to a friend of mine even though the shot is supposed to take 10 days to become effective.  God only knows what was in the syringe and how clean it was. He was also required to pay a $50 fee, (but surprisingly, they wouldn't give him a receipt...).  

#5 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

I am in the same boat and have exactly the same concern.  I would hate to be refused entry or even worse required to get a jab in some back room of an airport in Africa.  This actually happened to a friend of mine even though the shot is supposed to take 10 days to become effective.  God only knows what was in the syringe and how clean it was. He was also required to pay a $50 fee, (but surprisingly, they wouldn't give him a receipt...).  

I think this might have been the point I abandoned the trip and headed home - I'm not a great fan of receiving unneccessary injections and certainly not if I have any doubt about the risk involved.

• PT123 likes this

#6 AfricIan

AfricIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

And another one who's 10 year certificate has "expired" - I'll be taking a copy of the WHO guidelines, though whether it would be any use is another matter.

My sister also had @PT123 's friends experience & had a syringe & rusty needle waved at her whilst transiting through Uganda once because she hadn't got a YF certificate.  She was on her first posting with the UK Foreign Office and very naive on the corrupt practices prevalent in so many places, not just in Africa and unaware that a folded $20 note would have quickly resolved the "problem"!

• PT123 likes this

Ian

Photographs from our Africa trips in my PicasaWeb albums

#7 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

That would have been twenty bucks well spent!

• AfricIan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yellow fever, vaccine

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.