Robjwilli

Recommendations for Xmas 2018?

8 posts in this topic

I know it is early but I am starting to plan my next safari trip and would welcome the members advice on possible destinations for a trip over late Dec 2018/early Jan 2019. 馃榾

What is a good destination during this time in terms of climate/game viewing?

I'd love a chance to see wild dogs in Botswana but my other half hasn't been anywhere in East Africa yet.

I returned from a very wet and green a Namibia trip in Feb/early March which, without sounding ungrateful, was a bit disappointing- the game was so dispersed and sightings were few and far between. I plan to return one day in the drier winter months but would like to see if there is somewhere good to escape the UK Christmas period and scratch my safari itch at the same time.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

1 person likes this

Are you specifically looking at Africa? What's your budget?

There are few places where Christmas would be among the best periods.

It should be dry by then in arid areas of Kenya, like the north and east, but if the rains are really good it could be very difficulrt getting around, even with the chance of flash floods.

The Mara is always good, but that time can be the peak of the short rains there - not a problem but it's kind of a shame to pay peak prices when you could have had low season prices (and quite probably better weather) a couple of weeks earlier.

Serengeti is another place that is fine year round but same story as the Mara, more or less - maybe a slightly better chance of good weather and the wildebeest will all be heading south for their calving.

Kalahari and all the parks, reserves and conservancies in her) will be greening and it's a option although you're quite likely to get hit by a few storms. It's not the best time either really - just not a bad time and when I was there at that time I loved the clouds and light and colours. and the wildlfie was decent.

I am sure there are other places.

Personally I'd do Mara and a northern Kenyan conservancy or a trip around the southern Serengeti, from Central to as far south as I could.. I am pretty siure you wouldn't be disappointed by either option, although you might have a couple of days rain-affected.

Are you specifically looking at Africa? What's your budget?

Max 拢10k for the two of us..

I'd prefer another African adventure but also considering a South America/Amazon/Costa Rica trip if that is a better destination at that time.

There are few places where Christmas would be among the best periods.

It should be dry by then in arid areas of Kenya, like the north and east, but if the rains are really good it could be very difficulrt getting around, even with the chance of flash floods.

The Mara is always good, but that time can be the peak of the short rains there - not a problem but it's kind of a shame to pay peak prices when you could have had low season prices (and quite probably better weather) a couple of weeks earlier.

Serengeti is another place that is fine year round but same story as the Mara, more or less - maybe a slightly better chance of good weather and the wildebeest will all be heading south for their calving.

Kalahari and all the parks, reserves and conservancies in her) will be greening and it's a option although you're quite likely to get hit by a few storms. It's not the best time either really - just not a bad time and when I was there at that time I loved the clouds and light and colours. and the wildlfie was decent.

I am sure there are other places.

Personally I'd do Mara and a northern Kenyan conservancy or a trip around the southern Serengeti, from Central to as far south as I could.. I am pretty siure you wouldn't be disappointed by either option, although you might have a couple of days rain-affected.

That is great info, thanks very much for that. Southern Serengeti could be a good option....

Posted

Costa Rica is at its best over the x-mas time, only very populated, so early bookings are essential. Mostly birds, and mostly the Pacific side. Sri Lanka has plenty to offer, both big game and small birds. The interior weather is similar round the year, so it is more about the beach destination that the month is important. Both can be easily done with half of your forecasted budget!

Posted

Summer in KTP is lovely, but is South African school holidays, so will likely be busy (but KTP busy, not Kruger busy). Any storms usually pass quickly and it is lovely to see the animals in good condition, with offspring with green and flowers. As it is deser, the green does not reduce visibility. In the Kruger it is more difficult as rain can be prolonged (and cause road closures) and the grass/bush very high so reducing visibility, but the main issue is traffic levels. We always go to the kruger in Jan, but after school has gone back and I prefer it in green season, the animals are in peak condition and the migratory birds are back.

check rates carefully a few places have serious surcharges for Christmas, new year and easter