See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Supercamera from Sony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

https://m.dpreview.c...ting-powerhouse

Not a supercamera I am sure, but it is a super-looking camera spec-wise. This is not an attempt at a review - just a gushing, unfiltered response to the news.

Sony just announced its long-awaited A9 camera and it is a real surprise because it is totally a sports and wildlife camera. With caveats, basic specs are things like 24mp, 20fps, best-ever high ISO performance, an AF points covering 85% of the sensor, and a buffer that;ll hold 240+ RAW shots. And your non-shooting partner probably won't even ask how much it cost, it is so small and apparently inoffensive.. not that I would ever deceive my partner in such a manner. <_<

Even more surprising they announced a new 100-400 lens for it that promises to match the latest Canon and Nikon models . This means that in some areas  it willl effectively exceed the capacities of the Canon and Nikon models because of features that the body offers.

Some things that I found  interesting, having followed the development of the Sony A7 series.(7 is the number Sony uses for high-level enthusiast bodies - 9 for semi-pro, although I don't think there is much "semi" about this camera, except fot the pro support if you live outside New York, LA or Tokyo). or that wildlife shooters might find intereting.

The 20fps has some limits, but it is not "crippled" - the camera will focus throughout and is available in most modes. As usual, there will presumably be a secondary setrting of 14fps or so in which absolutely all features work.
The AF system is new and improved. This has been Sony's weak spot
The sensor is a completely new design, specially designed for speed and ISO performance - so since the A7 series is already pretty close to the best available at high ISOs, I'd expect impressive performance..
The silent mode is totally silent i.e. you can shoot at high frame rate without making a sound. This will blow your guide's mind.
There is an AF joystick and various AF preset options, including a range of AF memory options
Battery life is doubled on A7 series - a major issue solved
There is no flickering (or "blackout" when shooting at high frame rates) and the electronic viewfinder is much improved (on what was already very good) so in many conditions you really will be seeing more or less exactly what you will be getting before and as you press the shutter - esssentially you are "chimping" as you shoot.

It's already a fanboy's wet dream. Could be a photographer's dream too, if it actually all works as claimed and if that photographer has a few thousand dollars to spend. Not sure that I do, but.......

Edited by pault, 21 April 2017 - 12:03 PM.

• janzin, bettel and Soukous like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#2 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local time: 08:47 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Thanks @pault - food for thought indeed.

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#3 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

To correct what I wrote above it appears that the sensor design will not offer improved high ISO performance (probably weaker than the current best of the A7 series) although it will still be very good. Also the lower, "all functions" speed will be 10fps

The mechanical, non-silent shutter speed is 5fps. People would use that with flash and certain kinds of indoor lighting, so not all that relevant here, but worth mentioning.

The AF assist still won't work well (a tech problem not yet solved) but the sensitivity is increased 50% on the A7R2 so should be a much reduced issue unless you shoot in the dark without a spotlight or torch.

Another plus I noted is that the vertical grip is bigger so you have a real two size camera option depending on what you are doing - of course the vertical grip doesn't make the buttons bigger. That issue should be partially mitigated by the joystick addition and the ability to program the AF button on the lenses but I know some people find it a drag.

And the AF coverage is over 90%, so I understated that. Essentially anything escaping that net is out of frame already.

#4 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Yes I'm intrigued by this camera as well, but--no long prime lenses available yet and since its a full frame, 400mm is only 400mm...not great for birding. Also...the price tag!!! $4500 and that's before any lenses!! Ouch!! Yes its less than a D5 but that wasn't in my sights either :rolleyes:

Still, it looks like an incredible camera...IF it lives up to the printed specs, that remains to be seen. And it could be a game-changer in the way we look at mirrorless.

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:17 AM

@janzin  Yeah, although you can use any lens on one of these camera, with an adaptor, AF works less well for long teles than for shorter lenses, and apart from Sony's own lenses is dependent on thrid party manufacturers... and Sony has never competed with Nikon and Canon in the long lense department.

I think Sony will be focusing on the professional sports journalism market at first, prior to the 2020 Olympics in particular. I guess there will be at least one long prime in the next year or two, but it won't be with birds in mind I imagine. Few will be selling their 600/4 just yet, even if they are really keen on the Sony concept. Guess it'll be more of a second body thing at first?  However, they are certainly going for it now. The new longer lenses (even 70-200) are getting in lens stabilisation as well as the in-camera stabilisation (because that works better for longer telephotos of course) and that was something that Sony never showed any interest in doing before.

• janzin likes this

#6 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

@pault are you by any chance a Sony fan? 

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#7 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

@Soukous  Wouldn't call myself a fan quite.  A long-time user of Minolta and Sony gear I guess.. And I suppose I am among those who are fans of the potential of the mirrorless cameras and follow developments closely. Mainly because I am looking for a new camera - the whole first A7 series more or less passed me by.

Why, do I sound like a rabid fanboy? I am aware this is the second time I've done this with a Sony announcement, so I probably do.  :D 

• Soukous likes this

#8 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

If you want to buy  Minolta XE-1 i've still got one @pault

As far as Sony goes I've never used one of their cameras, they always seem a bit expensive without the availability of good long prime lenses. Maybe that will change in time.

• pault likes this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#9 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

If you want to buy  Minolta XE-1 i've still got one @pault

As far as Sony goes I've never used one of their cameras, they always seem a bit expensive without the availability of good long prime lenses. Maybe that will change in time.

Daddy!   :D  :D  

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.