AmyT

Trip Planning for Yellowstone National Park

12 posts in this topic

I was just reading @@Atdahl's trip blog about driving through Yellowstone and wondered who has gone and how it's been arranged? Self-driving? Through a safari company? Hubs has a week off in July and this is doable if we can find accommodation.

Help!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

We've driven ourselves on two trips and are planning to return this September. I've never taken a tour (unless you count a snowcoach but that was more for transportation) but there are guides and you could book their services for a day or more. The Yellowstone Institute has trips as well https://www.yellowstone.org/

If you can't find lodging inside the park, look at the gateway towns of Gardiner or Cooke City MT. You may want to include a few days in Grand Teton National Park as well just south of Yellowstone. If no availability there, check the town of Jackson WY. You can keep checking back for in park accommodations if you don't find anything initially as people book far in advance and cancel as the date gets closer. I've had good luck booking national park accommodations last minute.

Read the YNet forums for planning information, trip reports, sightings, etc http://forums.yellowstone.net/ I checked it daily during our trip for sighting info.

Here's my report from last May (we drove from Carmel so start with post #14 for our week in Yellowstone/Grand Teton) http://safaritalk.net/topic/16398-a-mostly-yellowstone-report/

Edited by Patty
2 people like this

@@AmyT...We did it several years ago....self planning and driving. We spent three nights in the park and drove in different directions each day. Your biggest need/concern will be accommodations. Our parks are being overly loved. We were in Yosemite last September and it was crowded but we understand less so than the prior months.

1 person likes this

You really have to book your accommodation now if you´re going in July. No problem to stay in gateway towns. Switch between West yellowstone and Gardiner and you can easily see the whole park.

1 person likes this

Hi Amy. Looks like everyone beat me to the punch. We have self driven for the 10+ trips we have gone to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I have hired a guide for day trips once because he knew of some hidden areas that weren't public knowledge (Fox den, Great Gray Owl nest). He no longer works at YNP unfortunately. All of the above advice is right on in my mind. I have nothing new to add.

Expect lots of crowds in July unfortunately, but if you hike a ways off the main road you should find some peace and tranquility.

Alan

2 people like this

If I recall, your travel times are June, July, Aug. If you think there will be a time in the not too distant future when a pre-Memorial Day or post-Labor Day trip can be done to Yellowstone, you may wish to wait to avoid the biggest crowds.

Is there a Nairobi to Jackson Hole flight you might take? <_<

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Posting from Cooke City on the Park border.

Sadly it seems every year the park gets busier earlier. I already started to avoid going in this year by early May due to the crowds.

Feel free to fire off any specific questions towards me.

www.yellowstonereports.com is a great resource.

I would have to be paid a metric ton of cash to be in the park from mid June through October... complete zoo

Oh, and one of the most important tips... BISON WILL MOVE! If you have bison in the road and they have room to move to the other lane or off the road, they will do so, just keep pulling forward, slowly :-)

Edited by BobsCreek
1 person likes this

I would have to be paid a metric ton of cash to be in the park from mid June through October... complete zoo

Is October busier than May? :( We were there in early May last year and are going back the first week of October this year. I was actually hoping it would be less busy based on the visitor stats https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/Park%20Specific%20Reports/Recreation%20Visitors%20By%20Month%20%281979%20-%20Last%20Calendar%20Year%29?Park=YELL

Last May seemed slower than this May, October shouldn't be to bad, kids are back in school and some campgrounds and services are closing up by then.

I would expect it to be at least as busy as last May, could be a bit more.

1 person likes this

I've noticed that the official visitation numbers seem to be... interesting... Last April I believe showed being slower than the prior April, yet all the regulars were commenting that it was much busier

1 person likes this

Last May seemed slower than this May, October shouldn't be to bad, kids are back in school and some campgrounds and services are closing up by then.

I would expect it to be at least as busy as last May, could be a bit more.

OK thanks, I think I can handle that. The majority of the crowding issues were at bear sightings last May. We're trying to time it for the fall color and at least the possibility of driving the Beartooth. Otherwise we would've pushed it back a bit later.