See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

SNP vs. Ngorongoro and Masai Mara in terms of witnessing animal interactions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sadguy88

sadguy88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

Scrolling through youtube videos, it appears to me that there is an abundance of clips from Ngorongoro Crater and Masai Mara showing wildlife interactions, i.e. kills, fights, struggles over food, etc and not nearly as many from the Serengeti National Park. This was puzzling to me at first but I have thought of some reasons that this could be. Here they are:

1. More visitors in Mara and Ngorongoro-this combined with the smaller area they encompass means that wildlife interactions are much more likely to be recorded on camera than in SNP.

2. Greater density of mammals-Mara and the Crater also might be more concentrated in terms of animals, including predators, which means a better chance of witnessing interactions.

Does this all sound about right? Because there also appear to be a large number of such videos from small parks in southern Africa, none of which as famous Serengeti, that I can't explain.

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,154 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:35 AM

Not true - for example., in Ndutu you can see cheetah pick off Tommies and their fawn every day if you invested the time at the sightings ........  

Mara you have the advantage of the conservancies where you can off-road and stay with the interaction as it's unfolding ...... 

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

I think you got it mostly right. One must also consider that there are far less roads in the Serengeti than in the Mara and the Crater

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.