See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Instant help for wildlife in Laikipia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:24 AM

Some of you are probably, like me, wishing you could just give some hay and vitamins to those starving buffalo, impalas, hartebeest in Laikipia, left with little or no grass or borwse due to the invasion of cattlle.

Well now you virtually can... if you donate the folks from Mugue Ranch will buy hay and other necessities for the wildlife.

That sounds like a kind of extortion racket, so I should clarify that they would almost certainly be buying the stuff anyway. This is a just a way to salve your guilty, rich preson's conscience (or if you are an Ayn Rand disciple, to ensure the wildlife is there for your own selfish pleasure in the future, without sacrificing your self-interest in any way).

I am not associated with this in any way - just saw it and either consicence or self-interest made me want to donate and share.

Background

Over the last few weels significant numbers of buffalo, implala and Jackson's Hartebeest have been dying on Mugie (which has one of the largest wildlife concentrations in Laikipia), initially from starvation but now also possibly from some form of disease. Kenya Wildlife Service are doing what they can about the disease but because thousands of livestock have been grazing illegally on Mugie for months now, there is a real shortage of food for the wildlfie The news a few weeks ago was they were doing okay, but the news now is they are not. I would normally be on the fence about this kind of thing (possibly the owners of Mugie would too) but this is clearly a man-made disaster in the making (sure there is a drought anyway, but without competiion with tens of thousands of livestock it wouldn't have been that devastating I think() and it is highly likely that any animals that make it due to intervention will not be back here again next year -the ones still alive are the strong as the weak are already gone. Depending on the disease (unifentified) I suppose many of the animals may die anyway, especially with the rains coming, but proper feed will surely give them a better chance of making it.

I'm not a good salesperson am I? If somebody has more convincing arguments, pleaser do post them.

Anyway, I'll post the link to the Facebook page and direct to the crowd funding page below (my usual cannot post links on this browser in Safaritalk problem).

• Soukous and AmyT like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#2 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,143 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:27 AM

Crowd funding page
https://www.justgivi..._term=zBjBB9jAP

Facebook
https://m.facebook.c...100002795997566

Waiting again... for the next time again

#3 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

@pault thanks for the lead. Done. 

and here's a report on a strange disease that's killing the antelopes and buffalos: 

https://kifukuinvasi...nch-10th-april/

• pault likes this

#4 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Some of you are probably, like me, wishing you could just give some hay and vitamins to those starving buffalo, impalas, hartebeest in Laikipia, left with little or no grass or borwse due to the invasion of cattlle.

Well now you virtually can... if you donate the folks from Mugue Ranch will buy hay and other necessities for the wildlife.

That sounds like a kind of extortion racket, so I should clarify that they would almost certainly be buying the stuff anyway. This is a just a way to salve your guilty, rich preson's conscience (or if you are an Ayn Rand disciple, to ensure the wildlife is there for your own selfish pleasure in the future, without sacrificing your self-interest in any way).

I am not associated with this in any way - just saw it and either consicence or self-interest made me want to donate and share.

Background

Over the last few weels significant numbers of buffalo, implala and Jackson's Hartebeest have been dying on Mugie (which has one of the largest wildlife concentrations in Laikipia), initially from starvation but now also possibly from some form of disease. Kenya Wildlife Service are doing what they can about the disease but because thousands of livestock have been grazing illegally on Mugie for months now, there is a real shortage of food for the wildlfie The news a few weeks ago was they were doing okay, but the news now is they are not. I would normally be on the fence about this kind of thing (possibly the owners of Mugie would too) but this is clearly a man-made disaster in the making (sure there is a drought anyway, but without competiion with tens of thousands of livestock it wouldn't have been that devastating I think() and it is highly likely that any animals that make it due to intervention will not be back here again next year -the ones still alive are the strong as the weak are already gone. Depending on the disease (unifentified) I suppose many of the animals may die anyway, especially with the rains coming, but proper feed will surely give them a better chance of making it.

I'm not a good salesperson am I? If somebody has more convincing arguments, pleaser do post them.

Anyway, I'll post the link to the Facebook page and direct to the crowd funding page below (my usual cannot post links on this browser in Safaritalk problem).

Maybe not a good salesperson, but undoubtedly a good person

• pault and Seniortraveller like this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.