Paradise Regained – Parc National Zakouma Tchad

Kitsafari

i'm not sure why the youtube link didn't work...

let me try again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKampo44

edited to say : it's the same link but not sure why it doesn't work. :(

Edited by Game Warden

@@Kitsafari

A continuing delight. I think you would do well in the "Big Year" for birds just on this trip - sometimes even in one photo! The ROller is stunning.

@@TonyQ you are much too kind!

@@Kitsafari

Loving this report.

Amazing to see the elephants with the water hose, and love the picture of the tree lined road

Game Warden

@@Kitsafari I've had a look at the link, as above with no joy. What is your Youtube channel, I'll see if I can find it there.

Matt

Page 1: What a beautiful and eloquent start and what a huge mess at the airport. I have not heard of that particular mixup before. I wonder what would have happened if you had booked the flights on your own and did not have a travel agent go to bat for you?

I am up to wrestling match. Fascinating! You ended up with some great quelea shots from your angle. Good hints on finding a good viewing spot! The report continues to provide a beautiful portrayal of Zakouma.

Very funny about photography at the race track and of the race track photographers, @@twaffle!

Caught up right to the ele episode. Very touching, given the cruel history the elephants have endured at the hands of humans. But the human element in this encounter with the local people and children is quite moving.

A gem of a report!

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Zim Girl i made Squack stop the vehicle for me to take a shot of the boulevard, and I'm so glad I did.

Edited by Kitsafari

@@Game Warden

@@Kitsafari I've had a look at the link, as above with no joy. What is your Youtube channel, I'll see if I can find it there.

Matt

Ok I am clueless - what is a YouTube channel please?

Page 1: What a beautiful and eloquent start and what a huge mess at the airport. I have not heard of that particular mixup before. I wonder what would have happened if you had booked the flights on your own and did not have a travel agent go to bat for you?

I thought about that on that day, and I didnt want to even think more about it!

Game Warden

@@Kitsafari What is the Youtube account where you upload your videos to? I'll send you a PM...

Game Warden

Edit: thanks @@Kitsafari, was able to pop in the right link. Here it is...

Matt

@GameWarden thanks for sorting the video link

@@Kitsafari What an extraordinary video. Loved it!

@@Game Warden thank you Matt - you are a life saver! I dont know what I did wrong but im not surprised becuase im clueless about such technical stuff...

Here are some of the wildlife we saw on the way back to camp for lunch, a North African or red-necked ostrich and a red-fronted gazelle, both species a first for me and both are vulnerable species.

The ostriches were very timid. Also known as the North African ostriches or the Barbary ostrich, these flightless birds are the largest of the ostrich family. They used to be widespread in northern Africa but are becoming in danger of extinction in the northern region of the continent. Zakouma has a good size of them, in fact i think the park houses the largest number.

TFO9HtH3aefNGqdeeQk3MV-TFaieypsn0elNGEaZ

This guy was in a far distance and my bridge could only zoom so much. so sadly, not the best pic from me but you can certainly make out that bright red neck of his!

The gazelles are listed as vulnerable in the ICUN list. They look similar to the Thomson's gazelles, but their faces feature thinner white strips on the sides, and somehow they look prettier than the tommies.

El7g6JNDyT46DqeF_eH79Mkzr_nXrBwdFwcVCoy6

EodSqGIqqRLC9uNEqS0m3Wo1HoeEIdruTlzOXHxT

curious of us as we were of it

GuGVq60hKtcMYR-jA37eaQ72lcNOMF8eb7GOQ7P9

yqpB0EDB4p0fOc28Yu-9kYM2_NrafM_ltW60Bcac

sZnmq7GX2OUMXqkFLXqm8QhPo7uFtpIOm_7BZXjD

Another species that is rare in Africa is the Kordofan giraffe. Indeed, the Zakouma park was created in the 1950s in part as a response to the sharp declines in the number of the beautiful giraffe. Since then the population has bounced back (current estimates at over 1000), such that Zakouma now shelters half of Africa's Kordofan giraffes. Interestingly, the subspecies of the giraffe was originally thought to be West African giraffe but was corrected sometime in the late 2000s.

J_0OchrUbx7AzuwtOvvm-EvNrNauYj9HScW-HKyA

a young giraffe - I just love how all giraffes have this curiousity about them, often just standing watching and figuring us out.

kSl4Jt3goQpoOCVqcl8xwwNi10aDt8OMKceW4jLH

Others seen:

iF_5CuOesWDSysD4DglqMZx5p3aTorFiKaxpU2OF

weavers?

WD3UD7ThC3bBmQvvWSbmx0HXpySC9UQSuOaQuuZm

cordon bleu waxbill with red cheeks - i'm not sure what the red-beaked/red-tailed is - a female waxbill?

OyWrkEZeW9vgSEZ-6EVCIn_smu4Tw6D_E6N_G__o

PB1oeVmiXacAT3kkqwuBSc0O44BBnMnunj3W5NaG

what is the bush without a warthog or four?

bJTsqYdOP6jDiJrSmVvL3457sHWEik6AefH3clGjBohor reedbuck

yfgeWrIOO2g9ovr11ZWfY2UQxDMdHVKqWapIR8W5

making time

q9FJsSKO0d_FR-sy1UwEyD0fnrw2rSwZjPMhJc-Mnot sure what this is? a lapwing though the beak is too long.?

and then a Roan! we stayed very quiet for him and Safaridude

6aDvsdweN9S6ss7lq8yQ7AdJTcLVlj60bXgwNyaq

21KC3xWq0h2ZIDnbOu3QGAAA13X0R4eN5N39TgNS

And a few more minutes, yet another! We were on the Roll with Roans! yay.

Hd5dwS-AwLj9JW5eZEPJJLKTtG-BMABeglu2_Dyc

Hzvh-vcxe0MU3gXk8y5CyBdl_1XdZr8ymCaOyp3N

IGD4dnkhlv23_kdK1UCR8t4GK0Dg21A3G-n23ute

cO1nLpfidEoH_VTcZQa1EZEMo1Ios_VK6InFTFZL

Edited by Kitsafari

@@Kitsafari Another fascinating episode - thank you. I love the gazelle photos. Is it Red-fronted gazelle?

The wader is a Black-winged stilt, immature so a bit 'smudgy' looking. I think the birds with the seed-cracking bills like weapons of mass destruction are African Silverbill. And the other one with the Red-cheeked Cordonbleu is, I think, one of the Firefinches. But I haven't birded anywhere in central Africa and I haven't got the field guide yet, so I'll look forward to seeing what others think.

And looking forward to the next instalment too!

@@Kitsafari I just love all of your photos especially of the roans. I consider myself fortunate that for a variety of reasons I can visit such a magnificient and unspoiled place. I'm very lucky.

@@Kitsafari Nice shots of the red-fronted gazelles, seeing the roan at the water brings back fond memories. I didn't see silverbills on either of my visits but I would agree with @@Galago that that is what the birds with the large bills are and there should be plenty of them in Zakouma. The bird with the red bill is a female red-billed firefinch it's the only firefinch on the park list, of course that doesn't absolutely guarantee it's the only one in the park but the red bill gives it away.

@@Galago yes that's a red fronted gazelle. a very good looking gazelle. we hardly saw them in a group like what Tommies or grant's would be in.

thanks for the IDs!

@@inyathi thanks much for the IDs. those beaks on the silverbills look formidable!

Day 2 Part 3
As usual, we wasted little time on tea and snacks and were out of camp quick. @@Safaridude was very excited to be out and on the drive double time. so he said let's leave 15 mins earlier. and being such nice agreeable people, we nodded and followed Captain Dude, who said Engage, and we warped at light speed mark 1, making a circuitous route around the eastern side of Riegueik Pans to get to the roosting nests of the million and one queleas.
Once again, the pans showed why it was such a prime spot. there were hordes of birds, including the black crowned cranes that would pack into the middle of the pans every day, honking incessantly while we had our lunch, took our midday showers, took our siestas, and had our afternoon teas. Why do such beautiful birds have such awful sounding voices?
Just a simple reminder that nothing is born perfect, I replied to myself. That is why it is perfect.
ObzgRE1TvD0sUibZakcYog9CNOjR9S17L_E7C7qS
_Z6v1ZkODUW1T4K4wZTLnPV9fOFNwBN3eRSjW72f
KFtUL1_bGHnIYPu76vjcDPSEU6e3jDM2MiRLq59v
9QwHdwVi4V1kXXmmivSm-IxKlF-7ciGRHXHAHZ7T
K4HaialhuboFQ8_Hkrot0KC0jdDHrq1dHLGsRImA
QhpgdX-j_iGjd8dcc6CiDZa3WvYz92wg-KqIbTaV
Have I said how amazed I was - at how much life there was in this park - one of the last vestiges of the semi-arid world up in the north and west of the continent that can still contain the density of wild life that kept me saying silently Wow.
as we moved and stopped, moved and stopped, it was like watching a movie - scene by scene. My limited camera could not capture the entire vista, only snapshots of each frame. and in each frame the variety of species continued to astound.

mxw3bjLXgNHWtsk_crvcZziNuhQREb_8g1L_cbwa

look at those crowned cranes in the background - sorry my photo isn't sharp enough to see in detail.

k3Q68P_0AVf3LIqrTNU6VY9ThdjABkiji0pBev7d

so much to take in - the birds in the water, the birds in the background, the birds in the air and giraffes at the treeline if you can make them out.

IpvgX5NhYLul9CKUEMG_dd7SLiUQRoupvh7VaJF-

0tXIe3OQ8fodq800ziGCG9td9e2ZVIXfxu8Lro8s

Ek5sVmmaeYH22_5Hae2o5dX7oEDvs3PnTSkBdjEf

8YUl7VUXWSeZWaOMeLDW6hi_2ohExV1A4fm1gOUp

Tmlqhl3qX2N9fe_ba5ir_09UNl3vibDlxFcNwp5C

abyssinian ground hornbill

9In_0-uf7ubv4NzUZCajzsxZlLZGe_laqFzhbEeD

then it was the antelopes' turn

3UG9Gz7UfoUuuvFavHuaPsDjG0Z1FMO0bZeQ3XXd

z6a8prPYys4foW1qQtGeAflxHO4Ggy1E7kWa0Dgi

And a Roan framed by birds to round up a riveting evening

fYYDwjMLiLxLWI7SAsTmiTZwyXedNHCzS0kXDxJT

691TP1hyOEAQjKVOFRhKom8jiJfSqfDKbPLi9ZWB

TB22Z16lRtBIgHi3kb-qxav44wZQFdM3yqNoLQtL

08-xYB3cDbfb8qcOcXJ2zdjMm_titugVnsdGlnP8

the largest wildlife to fill the frame was the three bi-coloured lions and their bulging bellies. They had obviously been in the mud but now was just lying horizontally for the meal to digest and also to cool in the shade. We would meet again these cats, which included a male sub-adult.

MYV8sF_i-8bMwzNSPmdgBgrXUxDcsBUGG7AH4TFR

3Iy8LGjtkifM3kxg-JWLNcjyotrDGAi0hgXaAafv

Born to be wild, and dozing

k49k1vNFvqsEO8IwTpTsx6m1q6iJdOBcTzWB1NRn

i hope this youtube link works! please let me know if it doesn't? you will hear some of the bird names as Squack rattles the names off.

we reached the quelea roosting place, and what a location. front row to a beautiful pan with a gorgeous sunset to boot. the queleas were noisily flying back, stopping for a sip or two and then rushing from bush to tree to bush and across to the another batch of bushes and trees, each crowding together and sharing the latest news with each other. that made for one sensory experience , especially if you are nuts enough to get into the bushes and try to share a spot on the branches with them.

I didn't have good pictures of the queleas. my camera isn't hot on twilight and night shots. It's quite incredible that for such tiny birds, as a collective whole, they could drown out all other noises and you could certainly feel the heat generated from the gathered bodies. The guys ventured bravely close to and into the vegetation where the noises emitted. I chose not to go - if I had, my sinuses would have sung along with them and kept me wide awake that night.
5cF6rqmoyi4E45NMvK3d9iXU-OzyrcNuiDQtr94a
QEkZpf2bu4Q8xeIOvRB1ndINleQs5Wj1TVa-asbM
dqZPIex5dgQkktVc59tnh2A_cYSagHkrx8lMs4al
and a video - sorry for the shakes....
and then into the night just a couple of pix. I'm sure we saw more but only two decent pix came out
IQisw7I2noK9i2pLwXm5NjEMPIu1pTbtNkspk7b9
qEukmO_8WO55x2NVqhP8T8GZkGcptrqr4bE5-jyF

Day 3 part 1 East of Camp
“To fly as fast as thought, to anywhere that is, you must begin by knowing that you have already arrived.”
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
The sunrises and sunsets at Zakouma didn't seem to be as spectacular as you would get in east africa, at least you don't get an unobstructed clear view as in Mara, and you don't get those shades of rainbow hues that colour the skies in pinks and yellows and golds and purples. But the rise of the sun here casts beautiful soft light, infused with tones of matte gold that shine through a layer of mist that clings to the grasses in the early hours and shrouds the animals that plodded softly and gently on the fragile earth.
The awakening of the baboons that sat high in the trees to welcome the warmth of the reluctant sun told us that they had lived through the dark night and were waiting for the sun to receive them and warm them for a start to yet another day.
iSn5lf-AnrbnaN5JdsfBQxsN2xX_Ct_mh8zK0-Pd
ym8HScSrWuxyCQXP_3il_tOrUp97Ti99Lw99Du5S
LNPf4VwrOrpJxDz4LrLb6sEYhGepAx8YOc3lb-4H
H5arIfpYqfu2gXyYOpd6L0xbGHXDkfGtShZbcBsd
V_-V73ywCZMUM0x7SP4bjDJbgKS0AGbCyTP0zVTe

We had seen a buffalo or two but still not in the massive herds that we had heard about. In addition to the elephants and giraffes, buffaloes were the other species that were hammered badly during the dark days. But the resilient beasts, under safe shelter from AP, have bounced back. back in 1986 there were only about 220 of them. Now they number over 10,000. A resounding success.

In the distance we saw them - at first, crossing the shallow waters of a pan. The vapours that rose from their feet were thrown into the air, adding to the mist that made them ghostly shadows that were quietly wading across. Those who crossed joined the tail-end of a thick line of buffaloes that stretched into the trees till we could see no more. still, they lingered, long enough for us to snatch glances at their hefty bodies.

MpiLrXSh7I_Rbvkzo1sKKpyodVWIIA24pBtctcMa

OUa6iyh3__hWeBxblsailiFp_Bdq-W9QSFhT927C

3mcY26sNqXpBPr0h6Vi74jQecycb0wvQ36w1pTCG

bapK6DrOKmC1sAXUkx-RNhBxX7AAKe-yR6dTzcUc

oytuzTBslIJvQukew8jwoO57mxEUmKuVRFC0fZTa

Es1LU0FfSQy-8nwDI12BRNizvRJKsWzdp3Q0cHo5

CPGNItpASfsrIP5bLxKkRq1-Tk90-a3-h-k8y0wv

OTdststLjvaXsg6bDrKa4GgsrUz1FTmrPyNt21fN

Fl48qAU8x0ORyNCy9mnx7SNrP5XGL89CroniKLWh

Edited by Kitsafari