amybatt

Wild dogs in Mara North

9 posts in this topic

I haven't seen this posted yet. Both Offbeat Mara and Serian have posted photos on Facebook the last couple days of wild dogs spotted near their respective camps. Now if THAT doesn't make me want to hurry back to Offbeat....!

5 people like this

I just saw this today on Serian instagram! They said they thought the two of them had wandered up from N Serengeti.

Exciting. I'll be there this fall - what are they chances they are still there? Not much, I'd bet.

Oh man, that would be great to see dogs in the Mara! Unfortunately these sporadic reports always seem to be "one or two individuals that wandered through" and not resident packs. I wonder if anyone has thoughts on why wild dogs may not be establishing (reestablishing?) home territories in the Mara reserve or the conservancies as they are protected areas

Are they really resident in the northern Serengeti or just wander through?

I am pretty sure that there is at least one resident pack in the Ndutu area

They do travel long long distances - for example over a year ago, there were reports of dogs in the Chyulus and the collar was tracked back to the Serengeti research project!

I have to wonder if the change in weather pattern over the last few years (extreme drought, earlier rains, etc.) is causing animals to migrate as they haven't before? The rains we were having in Mara North last month were daily and said to be "highly unusual" for mid-February. And last year with the La Nina pattern and the intensely high grasses? In the short time I've been following the goings on there, it seems like each year they see something that they hadn't in the past?

@@amybatt - these two dogs are most likely dispersal dogs from their pack looking for a new pack - they are possibly running round and round the Mara in search of another dispersal pack to integrate!

1 person likes this

Couple days ago Jackson from Porini Lion put photos of those two wild dogs on his FB page (I guess they moved to Olare).

And today Asilia Mara bush houses posted the video below :) (pack of 10 dogs)

"African painted dogs are amongst the most endangered animals and must count yourself very Lucky to have watched them in wilderness doing their stuff. At mara houses we have had a great week with a pack of 10 dogs roaming at Acacia valley! It was great experience to see them how ruthlessly fast they caught and finished their kill...listen to music on the background!"

https://www.facebook.com/MaraBushHouses/videos/1342326669137459/

5 people like this