See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Western Lowland Gorillas, Pangolins, Forest Elephants and Pottos - My trip report from the Central African Republic and Cameroon

Gorillas pangolin elephants buffalos duikers sitatunga CAR Central African Republic Cameroon Central Africa

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Local time: 10:39 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:13 AM

I'd pull a bee out of my eye to see a planned and an unplanned pangolin.  And you had so much more.  What a trip!

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#22 Tomeslice

Tomeslice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

@wenchy yes, we had some 8-8.5 hour days at the bai (well 3 of those, to be exact). I can't complain really, elephants, buffalos, giant hogs and a servaline genet! Sitatungas of course we only saw in Bai Hoku.

If (when) I come back again, I'd spend all my days at the Bai until I found my bongos, and then I'd go straight back to the river for river hogs, that otter and the De Brazza's monkeys again! I would presume you could see Red River hogs if you stay the night inside the park (either at Dzanga Bai or in one of the campsites near Dzanga or Bai Hoku) and start your Bai Walk very very early. Or just at night inside the Bai if you spend the night there.

@Atravelynn - Ha! That's a nice way to put it! Yes, I didn't have the most perfect first impression of Dzanga Bai with all these sweat bees, but if you asked me before this trip I would definitely have agreed to pull a bee out of my eye any day if I was told of all the amazing stuff I was going to see. Effing Wow. (still excited over it, and it's been 2 months now  :lol: )

• Atravelynn, wenchy and AmyT like this

#23 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:52 AM

When post trip euphoria lasts 2 months, you know it was a good one!

• Sangeeta likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#24 Atdahl

Atdahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

Awesome report Tomer!  I must have missed it on Mammalwatching.com.  I really didn't know much about this region before.  Being keen on primates, this seems like a great destination though.  Thanks for sharing your adventure.  I think I would have to fly there though since the hotel would not pass muster with my wife  :) .

Alan

The good man is the friend of all living things - Mahatma Ghandi

Main Photo Gear:

Nikon D7100, Nikon D300, Nikkor 200-500mm, Nikkor 70-300mm, Nikkor 16-85

http://www.focusedonnature.com/

#25 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,726 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

@Tomeslice - fabulous TR and fantastic, story-telling photos! Thanks so much for sharing.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#26 Tomeslice

Tomeslice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

@Atdahl - that hotel was pretty bad.. the whole drive is pretty terrible (especially on the way back). If you can afford the >2000 euro per person each direction for the flight, I would. If you join a pre-booked flight with some seats left, you may be able to get it for slightly less. I was very excited about the primates there too, as there are some groups I've seen for the very first time, such as "true" guenons, mangabays, and of course gorillas! I think you can also see red colobus downstream from Sangha Lodge and maybe some other monkeys are around too. Also very small chance for chimpanzees along the Sangha River. We didn't even hear any on any day, but others do. I didn't try too hard to find less common primates because I was all about pangolins and otters and the "regular" stuff ;-)

@Sangeeta - it's absolutely my pleasure. I'm happy you enjoyed it :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gorillas, pangolin, elephants, buffalos, duikers, sitatunga, CAR, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Central Africa

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.