Show us your non-african little cats

kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for the small, non-African cats, like leopard cat, jungle cat, south American cats like ocelot, etc. We already have a thread for small African cats, big cats and so on elsewhere, but I had a trawl and couldn't find one for the other smaller cats of the world. So here's one to start, from my recent trip to Borneo:

32823099593_7798821272_c.jpgP2260869 adj 3 copy Marbled cat by Jo Dale, on Flickr

32823099003_9e99d99b13_c.jpgP2260867 (2) copy Marbled cat by Jo Dale, on Flickr

A great idea...I love the smaller cats! Now if only I had some shots to add to this thread, lol. Hopefully some day :) Meantime, great sighting/shot of the Marbled cat!

• 2 months later...
The_Norwegian

I love all cats, but on my top three list the eurasian lynx will always be my number one spot :-) Sorry lions and leopards, it`s nothing personal ;-) This is a habituated lynx, in a wildlife-park, that in africa would be like the rehab-parks around the continent. This is taken is during winter as you see. 

_U9F0635sv_hv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread idea @kittykat23uk.  Of course, I will have to contribute the Marbled cat we saw in Deramakot, Borneo about a month after your trip. I still love that this is a different cat exhibiting the exact same behavior as yours did..

DSC_9482_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_9481_edited-1-L.jpg

Here is a blurry Leopard Cat, also from Borneo:

DSC_9769_edited-1-L.jpg

Here is an Ocelot from Belize. Unfortunately, this was one of our first trips to the rain forest and I agreed to see this Ocelot that was attracted by chicken thrown by one of the lodge workers.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have supported this.  Luckily, I have seen other Ocelot since but never have I gotten such a good photo.

Baby%20Ocelot-L.jpg

Do, Bobcats count as a small cat?  I am assuming they do so I looked through my website and pulled a couple of my favorite images.  I have been lucky enough to see lots of Bobcats.

DSC_2931_edited-1-L.jpg

And, here is one from our yard...

IMG_0024%20(2)-L.jpg

Alan

• 3 years later...
Sebastian Kennerknecht
On 4/2/2017 at 5:56 PM, kittykat23uk said:

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for the small, non-African cats, like leopard cat, jungle cat, south American cats like ocelot, etc. We already have a thread for small African cats, big cats and so on elsewhere, but I had a trawl and couldn't find one for the other smaller cats of the world. So here's one to start, from my recent trip to Borneo:

32823099593_7798821272_c.jpgP2260869 adj 3 copy Marbled cat by Jo Dale, on Flickr

32823099003_9e99d99b13_c.jpgP2260867 (2) copy Marbled cat by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Amazing. Marbled cats are such fantastic wild cats! Well done!

Sebastian Kennerknecht
On 7/10/2017 at 10:37 PM, Atdahl said:

Great thread idea @kittykat23uk.  Of course, I will have to contribute the Marbled cat we saw in Deramakot, Borneo about a month after your trip. I still love that this is a different cat exhibiting the exact same behavior as yours did..

DSC_9482_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_9481_edited-1-L.jpg

Here is a blurry Leopard Cat, also from Borneo:

DSC_9769_edited-1-L.jpg

Here is an Ocelot from Belize. Unfortunately, this was one of our first trips to the rain forest and I agreed to see this Ocelot that was attracted by chicken thrown by one of the lodge workers.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have supported this.  Luckily, I have seen other Ocelot since but never have I gotten such a good photo.

Baby%20Ocelot-L.jpg

Do, Bobcats count as a small cat?  I am assuming they do so I looked through my website and pulled a couple of my favorite images.  I have been lucky enough to see lots of Bobcats.

DSC_2931_edited-1-L.jpg

And, here is one from our yard...

IMG_0024%20(2)-L.jpg

Alan

Great photos Alan! And yes, bobcats do count as small cats. Technically, any cat not belonging to the Panthera genus (Lion, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, and jaguar), leaving you 33 cats that all qualify as small cats!

Sebastian Kennerknecht

I am a huge wild cat (especially small cat fan, so will be adding a few of my own photos to this thread). Thanks for starting this thread @kittykat23uk!

Iberian lynx male, Sierra de Andujar Natural Park, Spain

IMG-271063-Iberian-Lynx-Spain-Sebastian-Kennerknecht-Edit.jpg

Beautiful shot! 

safarigirl.se

How have I missed this tread?! Big small-cat fan, this evenings entertainment is saved :D Thank you all for posting! Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute with :( unless Smilla our house-cat counts! :lol: Lovely photos of the Iberian lynx and Marbled cat @Sebastian Kennerknecht

Sebastian Kennerknecht
15 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

Beautiful shot! 

Thank you!

Sebastian Kennerknecht
11 hours ago, safarigirl.se said:

How have I missed this tread?! Big small-cat fan, this evenings entertainment is saved :D Thank you all for posting! Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute with :( unless Smilla our house-cat counts! :lol: Lovely photos of the Iberian lynx and Marbled cat @Sebastian Kennerknecht

Thanks so much. The marbled cat shots are not mine, but I agree they are beautiful! Will add my marbled cat shot in the future though :). I run a few small cat photo tours around the wold @safarigirl.se. Happy to tell you more about them. And of course Smilla counts! :D

Edited by Sebastian Kennerknecht

• 1 year later...
Dave Williams

A top sighting and a first for me on a trip to Bulgaria last month!

The European Wildcat is secretive and difficult to see,I got lucky with this one that was on a roadside in the forest of NE Bulgaria, her attention was fixed on possible prey perhaps.She stood motionless for quite a few seconds then she was gone.

52104841485_49f445f134_b.jpgWildcat.        Bulgaria by Dave Williams, on Flickr

• 1 year later...
Botswanadreams

European Lynx at Lahemaa National Park Estonia 13/10/2023

P1309529-Kopie.jpg.21e030a454d6f2915f4477b5ea1af781.jpg

P1309531-Kopie.jpg.88a1be51df62dd97aaa569f27d4a9fdc.jpg

Edited by Botswanadreams