PHALANX

post-50530-0-07270000-1490878263_thumb.jpgWell, it has been several weeks since I got back from my favourite place in Kenya, Ol Pejeta, and with what will be months of sorting & editing, and finally putting a film together of my latest trip, I thought I would ease myself in by sharing some of memories with you. :)

So. Let me take you back four months. I arranged my twelve nights accommodation directly with Sweetwaters tented camp, that sorted I scoured the internet for a cheap flight from London to Nairobi, I finally found a possibility with KLM, flying Kenyan airways. KLM own 25% of Kenyan airways so often use their partners Nairobi flights. The return would be via Amsterdam, no problem, but it's arrival in Nairobi would be at 05.00. Not a problem if you are staying over, but I would be flying from Wilson airport to Nanyuki that morning, and that flight was not until 09.20 and that is a long wait in an airport(?) with very little to occupy oneself. :(

So, after some thought, and a change of plan, I decided to go by road, but still fly back :). I use Real Africa safari for all my transport, transfers & my overnight hotel on my return journey, and Sam, my driver, was there waiting for me as I came out of Arrivals. There was an advantage to driving to Nanyuki, apart from the numb bottom I would acquire from the four hour journey, the road going out of Nairobi would be relatively quite as most of the traffic would be coming into Nairobi. This was a good plan, and was confirmed as such when the flight came in half an hour early at 04.30. I was off the plane & through passport control quickly, my bag arrived shortly after I reached the carousel and we were on the road by 05.20, Wow! The day was getting better & better. We were passing through Thika by the time it got light, sadly no stop this time at the Blue post Inn to see Chania falls, and we reached Karantina by 07.45. My driver enquired if I needed a toilet stop? "hapana, asante" I replied, practising my kiswahili, and we drove on. We were in Nanyuki by 08.50 and turning left off the main road we headed on to Ol Pejeta conservancy. We arrived at the gate by 09.15, paid the conservancy fees and I was walking into Sweetwaters reception by 09.30. :) :)post-50530-0-19944800-1490879345_thumb.jpg The staff were quite surprised to see me, expecting me around noon as I was coming by road. After a brief explanation and a cool juice, I was asked if I would like breakfast?. "Breakfast" I replied lamely. I was not expecting that, so as I say, the morning was getting better & better, and was about to get even better. As I made my way to the dining room a friend greeted me & said there are some friends of mine at the waterhole. My table was next to the large glass doors looking out onto the waterhole, and WOW! there were fourteen reticulated Giraffe.

I have now totally forgotten how tired I am from a rather sleepless overnight flight & four hours on the road, and almost in one movement I removed my jacket and retrieved my cameras from my hand luggage and slipped out through the glass doors to capture my first photo's & footage of my stay at Sweetwaters. post-50530-0-58091000-1490878291_thumb.jpg

It took me a little time to refocus on breakfast, but I did, and once refuelled & after reacquainting myself with the many friends I have made here, it was a leisurely unpack to the sound of bird song, and the occasional distraction of Zebra coming to the waterhole(snap,snap).post-50530-0-81478800-1490878348_thumb.jpg

After completing my bathroom rituals & a very welcoming shower I decided to have a walk around the camps grounds before it got too hot. The camps grounds are quite large with a nice variety of habitats, which of course makes birding here a great joy. The waterhole throws up many waders, storks & herons, post-50530-0-25202900-1490878465_thumb.jpg the wooded areas are abundant with Barbets, Tinkerbirds, Shrikes and much more,post-50530-0-20165600-1490878364_thumb.jpgwhile the garden areas are full of Sunbirds, Starlings, Cuckoos & Woodpeckers, post-50530-0-85043700-1490879033_thumb.jpg and the skies are full of Swallows & Swifts. post-50530-0-60977100-1490878493_thumb.jpg

My first walk was most rewarding, and with no great effort I saw my first 38 species of birds, and then relaxing after lunch outside my tent brought many more. Of course march is migration time as the European/Northern species head home, so I was a very happy camper with my first day being so rewarding.

Watch this space................

offshorebirder

Very nice start to this trip report @@PHALANX - thanks for sharing the experience and photos with us.

Are you a film maker? Will you post a link to your Ol Pejeta film here? Pen

Are you a film maker? Will you post a link to your Ol Pejeta film here? Pen

Hi @@penolva. No, I am not a film maker, not professionally, I just enjoy capturing wildlife on film for my own enjoyment, and of course for any of my family/friends who are interested in wildlife.

I have posted quite a lot of short clips on you tube. I go under the name of PHALANX47, if you are interested.

Thanks I will look for them. I do the same :) my name is Mokala on YT. We are going to visit Ol Pejeta in August when we stay with Petra at Sandai. Pen