See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

A belated introduction from Cape Town

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davesg

Davesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 05:20 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

I joined this forum a few months ago and haven't had the good grace to introduce myself up until now. I have been a regular visitor here and posted a trip report though...does that get me off the hook? :)

The quality of trip reports and photography amongst this community has been inspiring. So much so that I've finally launched my own blog which I'd planned to do 18 months ago when I retired. Life does take on a different pace without the responsibility of a job! Only 1 archival trip report posted so far - our first back in 2012. I now need to catch up with another 5 before venturing off on new trips. It won't take as long now that the ice is broken, I'm sure!

My blog address is: http://stuckinthemud.co.za/

Am I able to post links in relevant forums to the reports on my site or is it better to copy and paste separately here?

I was born in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia) way back in the mid 50's and was fortunate enough to have been brought up in a family that enjoyed the outdoors and time in the bush. I was even more fortunate to have had an Uncle who worked as the game warded on the Chirundu Sugar Estate pre 1965 and the start of the Independence struggles in Rhodesia. Those that know Zimbabwe will know that Chirundu is on the Zambezi and not that far upstream from Mana Pools. So at the tender age of 9 or 10 years old I was lucky enough to have had the privilege of spending a few holidays there with my cousins camping on the banks of the Zambezi and going on game drives with my Uncle George (a great adventurer and story teller!). That was the real start of my love for wildlife and the bush.

My family moved to Cape Town in 1968 and for various reasons camping trips and ventures into the wild pretty much came to a halt. I did become quite a regular visitor to Kruger park in the 80's and 90's but it is only in recent years that I've finally been able to get out and start exploring Southern Africa again. Hopefully there's a lot more to come now that I've retired.

I bought my first DSLR camera (a Nikon D3100) shortly before setting off on our first adventure in 2012. Very confusing after being used to film. I now have a Nikon D610, Nikkor 24-120mm and Sigma 150-600mm Sport as my main kit and a D5200 as back-up. I'd love to upgrade to the next Nikon generation but that will have to wait until I win the Lottery! :)

Thanks to those members who I've "met" on the forums and who offered so much encouragement when I posted my Kgalagadi trip report late last year. I'm looking forward to many more enjoyable reads and interactions here!

• pault, inyathi, TonyQ and 1 other like this

​Website: http://stuckinthemud.co.za/ Southern African Travel and Photography

#2 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Local time: 04:20 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

@Davesg

Welcome to Safaritalk!

• Davesg likes this

#3 Davesg

Davesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 05:20 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Thank you @TonyQ!

​Website: http://stuckinthemud.co.za/ Southern African Travel and Photography

#4 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • Local time: 04:20 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

welcome

• Davesg likes this

#5 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Welcome!!

• Davesg likes this

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

welcome

• Davesg likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.