Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

Wonderful News for All Conservationists

8 posts in this topic

This story just made my day,especially after receiving the dreadful news from Zakouma. I think it's far more important in the long term because big game hunters expected to make gains after Trump was elected. (EDITED, Matt) Bill Galli a professional hunter from Zimbabwe even claimed that the U.S. would overturn the ban on importing ivory!!! One asked from where he replied that it would come from culls, seized stocks of ivory, microchipped ivory, and more sustainable development -a euphemism for more elephant hunting. Well Mr. Galli the opposite is happening. We can all be thankful that sanity is prevailing.

http://www.animals24-7.org/2017/03/21/court-of-appeals-rules-airlines-have-right-to-ban-hunting-trophies/

@@optig Agreeing or disagreeing with a person's opinion is your perogative, but I won't permit Safaritalk to become a place where members can start throwing out insults as you have above, therefore I've edited your post and should you continue in this vein, I'll continue to edit or delete your posts. Also I can find nothing in the article relating to any Bill Galli.

I ask you then to put forward your point of view without being offensive, bearing in mind there may be those on Safaritalk who have a differing viewpoint to yours.

Matt

1 person likes this

As far as I understand the poaching referred to by @@optig did not occur in Zakouma, but some distance away.

So terrible news from Chad, but not Zakouma.

2 people like this

@@Soukous it is indeed terrible news even if it didn't actually happen in Zakouma. The point is that African Parks is trying to build up elephant populations all over Chad and elsewhere.

I would have thought that the more important point was getting your facts right. :wacko:

2 people like this

I'm clearly missing something. What news is there about elephants in Chad? Any links?

@@egilio

Seemingly there has been a bout of poaching ialong the Chari river in Western Chad, with at least 10 elephants killed. In spite of references made here to Zakouma, that area is some 800 km or more from Zakouma and is not under African Parks's management.

It is in any case a major concern, since the Chari elephants constitute the only other viable elephant population in Chad.

2 people like this

I would have thought that the more important point was getting your facts right. :wacko:

Seems to be a recurring pattern...

2 people like this