See all Safaritalk Special Offers

AsiliaAfrica

Roho ya Selous - Asilia Africa opening in the Selous Game Reserve, August 2017

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Roho ya Selous - Asilia Africa opening in the Selous Game Reserve, August 2017
We are excited to announce that a new camp will be joining the pack this year in a new area for Asilia. Roho ya Selous will open in the heart of the Selous Game Reserve in August.

Set on a hill overlooking the water, Roho ya Selous sits close to a key waterway which links Lake Manze to Lake Nzerakera, right in the heart of the core game viewing area. This comfortable and stylish camp will offer game drives, walking safaris, boating and catch and release fishing and is ideally situated for exploring this diverse and beautiful reserve.

Fast facts on the camp:
  • 8 stretch canvas tents including 1 family tent.
  • Each tent will have an over-bed ‘’Evening Breeze’’ cooling system for the hotter months.
  • Wifi in camp.
  • Game drives, walking safaris, boating safaris and catch and release fishing with easy access to both Lake Nzerakera and the Rufiji River system.

Why go to Selous?
  • Ease of access – less then an hour away from Dar es Salaam.
  • Combines easily with Ruaha National Park for a longer and contrasting safari itinerary.
  • Low density of safari camps, ensuring an exclusive, authentic and great value safari.
  • Wildlife is varied and plentiful; wild dog, lion and leopard as well as over 400 bird species.
  • Variety of safari activities – in addition to game drives guest can enjoy boat safaris, walking safaris and fishing.
  • Natural beauty of a wilderness area larger than Switzerland

post-49450-0-66362400-1490346696_thumb.jpg

post-49450-0-10880800-1490346719_thumb.jpg

post-49450-0-70152100-1490346742_thumb.jpg

Edited by AsiliaAfrica
2 people like this

Oh no - not another lodge. There are enough lodges in Selous. Sad.

1 person likes this

Looks like a lot of stonework and semi-permanent infrastructure in those "tents" - not my cup of tea.

There are enough lodges in Selous.

I agree. When I was last there in 2005, I felt that the northern (photographic) sector of Selous was quite at full capacity in terms of camps/lodges already, and since then the number of tourism extablishments has grown significantly.

The area around Lake Manze was back then one of the least affected, and now it seems really crowded.

I can understand that Asilia was in need of having a camp in the Selous - it makes perfectly business sense considering their existing portfolio, and the camp looks nice. But....

1 person likes this

Let us remember that this news is posted in the Operators Subforum and is a chance for members to directly engage the operator posting in a constructive manner, in this case, @@AsiliaAfrica.

Well I guess we have to live with the fact that all big game areas in Africa will end up like Yosemite, Maasai Mara- beautiful - but tons of people.

This new camp adds weight to my belief that Tanzania is going the way of Botswana-fewer tourists but those with deeper pockets. I hope that the government is also planning to ease out hunting because it simply won't be worth it.

Botswana dont cluster lodges in Moremi, Savuti, Kalahari, although there are some ect. They are spread out on vast private concessions in the delta catering the upmarket clientele, but still with a lot of wilderness feeling. Tanzania, and especially Kenya is going berserk on smaller areas like in the Mara. Ruaha recently got a new lodge, spoling me and many others favorite special campsite Mbagi at Mwagusi river. We are still some people despite 50+ who loves to camp wild - be it simple or Craig van Zyl style. It is getting more and more difficult due to most people's need to have all necessaties on vacation.

1 person likes this