See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Horrible news from Chad

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Reprise du braconnage au Tchad ! au moins 10 éléphants abattus dans notre zone poaching coming back to Chad at least ten elephants were killed the last past hours in SOS ELEPHANTS area ..." says Stephanie Vergniault, Chairman & Founder at SOS Elephants of Chad

This is truly appalling as we all know African parks have been tremendously successful in working with the Chadian government in eliminating poaching. I can only say that fortunately there are more babies being born than elephants poached. I have no doubt that the culprits will be caught and they will not escape justice. Security measures will be increased even further. I'm even more determined to visit Zakouma in 2019 since the park needs all the support it can get.

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

@optig

For the record, the area were the poaching incidents occurred is along the Chari river, some 800 km from Zakouma. Whilst African Parks is helping the Chadian government in devising plans to manage the entire country's elephant population, it has no direct role in the area were the poaching incidents occurred.

It is very worrying news in any event.

• wilddog, Soukous and optig like this

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

This is a very challenging place , it is great to see that Zakouma has much improved security

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.