See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

No electronics on certain flights

Africa Middle East

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

NBC News last night had a feature on this and said a decision is likely in the next 2 weeks. They pointed out everything here about lithium batteries, etc. But I find the one thing that 99% of these stories miss is the point about cameras. The focus seems to be only on laptops/tablets/e-readers.

I'm just going with a phone and very small P&S to Paris this coming week. Maybe being without my iPad will be good and keep me in a relative news blackout, which as I found out on safari, is really good for the soul, especially given the news cycles in the US now! I'll wait and see how this plays out for my 2 weeks in Italy this fall, where I will want my good camera and my iPad...
  • offshorebirder, lmonmm, AmyT and 1 other like this

#142 Alexander33

Alexander33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Looks like EU officials convinced the Americans to hold off on a unilateral implementation last week:

http://www.politico....lectronics-ban/

Another report I read stated that a meeting to discuss this issue further is being scheduled for Wednesday in Brussels.  At the very least, I hope that if measures are taken (and most prognosticators are still betting on it), the rules will be clear and the rollout will be more orderly than what we saw in March.

As our departure date gets closer and closer, I just don't see any way around our taking the precaution to purchase two Pelican camera cases in a size that is within most airlines' carry-on restrictions and taking those with us in lieu of our backpacks.

The most stressful aspect of this situation is being in the dark and simply not knowing what is going to happen.

• offshorebirder and AmyT like this
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."  -- Unknown 

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." -- Ursula K. Le Guin

#143 AmyT

AmyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

@Alexander33, an alternative could be to get a Pelican case large enough to hold your filled backpack, then have the case stored while you're on safari.  I agree, though, the not knowing if/when is the difficult part.  We leave in less than a month and even if the new regulations aren't in place before we leave, they might be before we return.

• janzin likes this

#144 Alexander33

Alexander33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 PM

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Los Angeles Times is reporting:

"An official who attended Wednesday’s [today's] meeting told the Associated Press that an extended ban to include Europe was “off the table” for now. The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Wednesday saying only that further discussions with European Union officials will continue next week in Washington, D.C."

http://www.latimes.c...0517-story.html

Fingers crossed......

• TonyQ, lmonmm and AmyT like this
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."  -- Unknown 

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." -- Ursula K. Le Guin

#145 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:59 AM

Oh crap- now there is a story on CNN saying they may expand the ban to outbound flights as well (as in US to other places)...this just gets worse and worse. I can't post links on my home computer...could someone do that please?

#146 AmyT

AmyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

@Imonmm... I can't find the story online.  Maybe it will pop up tomorrow.

• lmonmm likes this

#147 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

Ugh- it's right there on CNN's website. I wish I could post links- My Win7 just doesn't work here. Thanks for trying though. I did find it when I googled "DHS laptop ban".

#148 AmyT

AmyT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...-us-john-kelly/

Those keywords worked.  My CNN home page was full of other presidential news. Not even on the politics page...

Edited by AmyT, 20 May 2017 - 01:42 AM.

• lmonmm likes this

#149 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

@AmyT  Thanks for finding it. Not a peep today though. What a horror show. If this keeps going the way it's going I'm going to have to invest in some serious luggage...just to get to my Dad's in Baltimore. :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Africa, Middle East

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.