lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

215 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@Alexander33 Glad to hear you are back and looking forward to the TR. And as is usual....things done differently at each airport....sigh....I guess I'll have the free GYN appointment to look forward to the next time I fly from Joburg directly to the US :unsure:

Edited by lmonmm
cuz
1 person likes this

@Tulips

Yikes!  That puts the pressure on!  I will do my very best to get the report started before then, but, in the meantime, if you have any specific questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. It really was a magnificent experience. 

Ug.  Well, it was that way in India last year...not only cameras but they made us take every single item out of our camera bag. It was a pain, and a bit nerve-wracking...but we managed. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Also, that article says that that those with TSA pre-check are exempt (which we have, and Global Entry.)  We'll see if that's followed!

Anyway its still better than having to check them!!

1 person likes this

They have been doing this at our nearest airport in the UK,Manchester, for a few years. It's done very efficiently. I usually have three trays with my belongings on, my camera gear is all outside the bags as well as my shoes, belt,watch, wallet, laptop etc, etc. It's a full undress rehearsal  and they sometimes check individual bits of gear for explosive residue too.

Better safe than sorry as they say. 

I am always amazed that despite the warnings that you can't take liquids of more than a certain size through security people complain when they have expensive perfumes etc taken from them.

5 hours ago, janzin said:

Ug.  Well, it was that way in India last year...not only cameras but they made us take every single item out of our camera bag. It was a pain, and a bit nerve-wracking...but we managed. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Also, that article says that that those with TSA pre-check are exempt (which we have, and Global Entry.)  We'll see if that's followed!

Anyway its still better than having to check them!!

@janzin - It's done randomly ...... There's been one or two times I've had to remove everything and scan on tray.  A couple of times, when I've had to open and show the security guys what it was ....... and several other times, no reaction.  I don't think they have a set policy here in India for camera cases - but, in my experience the larger airports like Mumbai is less of a hassle.

1 person likes this

Everything like this seems to work far better in airports outside the US.  I've found Heathrow, Schipohl and CDG have all been far easier to get through in terms of pre-security than Boston.  Whether it's the process or the clueless people (even in the TSA Precheck line!) I don't know.

I'll take the camera out for inspection whenever they want as long as it stays with me in transit.  I'm fine with that.

2 people like this

I also just realized that most foreign airlines don't do/accept TSA Precheck in the US. I noticed that last year when we flew KLM...no pre-check on our boarding pass. When we flew Delta metal with a co-branding of KLM, we got pre-check!

Here's a list of airlines which accept the TSA Precheck.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

Unfortunately neither of the the airlines I'm flying for my next two trips are on the list (South African Airways and then Air India next year.)  Oh well, we are just going to have to leave a lot of extra time at the airport. My bigger worry is getting everything through and not having anything lifted, or forgetting something in the tray--its always so chaotic, my husband forgot his wallet once (luckily he retrieved it intact.)

3 hours ago, janzin said:

I also just realized that most foreign airlines don't do/accept TSA Precheck in the US. I noticed that last year when we flew KLM...no pre-check on our boarding pass. When we flew Delta metal with a co-branding of KLM, we got pre-check!

Here's a list of airlines which accept the TSA Precheck.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

Unfortunately neither of the the airlines I'm flying for my next two trips are on the list (South African Airways and then Air India next year.)  Oh well, we are just going to have to leave a lot of extra time at the airport. My bigger worry is getting everything through and not having anything lifted, or forgetting something in the tray--its always so chaotic, my husband forgot his wallet once (luckily he retrieved it intact.)

@janzin a suggestion might be for one of you to go through first and the other hang back a few people so that way one of you can keep an eye on the valuables. 

2 people like this

11 hours ago, amybatt said:

Everything like this seems to work far better in airports outside the US.  I've found Heathrow, Schipohl and CDG have all been far easier to get through in terms of pre-security than Boston.  Whether it's the process or the clueless people (even in the TSA Precheck line!) I don't know.

I'll take the camera out for inspection whenever they want as long as it stays with me in transit.  I'm fine with that.

I hate Schiphol and their gate security.  

Halifax is by far the worst.  I think having Nexus tags you for extra screening.   A lit of emergency landings etc. 

I am just back from Europe (to the U.S. where I live). I was flying on United. About two days before our scheduled flight home from Paris (which was this past Tuesday) I received an email from United titled "Additional security measures for international flights to the U.S." The body of the email said:

Important update on your upcoming flight: 

Additional security measures for international flights to the U.S.
sp.png
sp.png  
Beginning this week, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will require additional security measures for all international flights to the U.S. These measures include enhanced screening of travelers, as well as heightened screening of electronic devices larger than a standard smartphone. Travelers should be prepared to remove these devices from their protective cases or outer packaging for inspection. If you have a case that requires a screwdriver or other special tools to remove, we recommend doing so before arriving at the airport.
sp.png
For international flights, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recommends arriving at the airport at least three hours before your flight, allowing time for the additional security measures.
sp.png
For more information, please visit the DHS website (www.dhs.gov).

Our flight was at 9:15 a.m. from CDG to SFO so we already had planned to be there at 6:15 a.m. which was bad enough and I wondered should we get there even earlier? As it turned out, there was no heightened screening at all that I could see. When we arrived at security there was no line and the agents and seemed startled out of a conversation to have to come attend to us. They were very nice though and we simply put our laptops into bins and they went right through just as always. We just have a Panasonic Lumix camera that was in a camera bag inside my husband's backpack and I don't even remember if he remembered to take that out and put it in the bin but there was no issue at all! Maybe they haven't gotten with the program yet? The warning made me nervous. Anyone else seen that in the past week?

4 people like this

@SafariChick American Airlines advised me to get to CDG 4 hours before my flight home in May.  I did, foolishly, and ended up sitting killing time for 3 hours and 45 minutes!  Seriously, I was through security (including the interview) in 15 minutes.  I didn't take anything out of my bag at the time, but also only had my phone and point and shoot pocket camera at the time.

So you can bring a screwdriver onboard to gain access to your gear?  I'd think that'd be a confiscatable object!

@Tulips I actually love Schiphol and found it efficient but for Delta's ridiculous interview process that you have to go through to find out what gate you're flying out of.  I'm assuming that's just US airlines that do that as I didn't see it for other airlines.

@amybatt oh don't get me started on how long we waited also - though not as bad as you since we only got there 3 hours before the flight - but yes, through security so quickly and waited forever at a gate that seriously had only a Lavazza coffee shop that was not open until about 7:30 a.m. and then said its coffee machine was broken and could not make anything but instant decaf for which they charged me almost 5 euros!! I don't think they intended to have you bring the screwdriver with you as they said if you require one for your case, do that before you get to the airport. Of course, this begs the question how will you put it back together after they inspect it?

I was caught both ways while flying through Frankfurt.  Why didn't you remove your iPad?  (there were no signs telling me to.)  What is in your lens case?  (My lens.)  I don't mind the questions, it's the snotty tone that gets annoying.  Also, the lack of signage.  The kid in front of me on the way to Kenya had the local police question him about his gaming devices. Very serious, and I get that. I'm not a mind-reader, though.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:09 AM, amybatt said:

So you can bring a screwdriver onboard to gain access to your gear?  I'd think that'd be a confiscatable object!

Tools shorter than seven inches in length generally are allowed in carry-on; if longer, they have to be checked.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/screwdrivers-shorter-7-inches

1 person likes this