See all Safaritalk Special Offers

lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

179 posts in this topic

@kilopascal

Thanks so much for the update. It's comforting to know that the flight schedule was still manageable and that you were allowed to carry on your lenses. Thanks also for the warning about their weighing carry-ons. We're right at the tipping point of 7 kg, so a little creativity may be in order. 

I hope you had a great trip to Tanzania and that you'll indulge us with a trip report sometime in the future. 

On 6/12/2017 at 7:10 PM, amybatt said:

I got all excited when Rudy Maxa (travel writer and tv host) posted this today on Facebook, but it really doesn't say anything we didn't already figure out on our own.

Thanks for sharing that article @amybatt

But I disagree with some of Andy Williams' advice in his "Airline Laptop Ban Guide for Photographers".    He seems to think that portable hard drives would have to be in checked luggage.  But some are the same size or smaller than smartphones!    Mine is a La Cie 1 Terabyte portable hard drive and I would NOT have to put it in checked baggage - it's smaller than many of the larger smart phones out there.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

But I disagree with some of Andy Williams' advice in his "Airline Laptop Ban Guide for Photographers".    He seems to think that portable hard drives would have to be in checked luggage.  But some are the same size or smaller than smartphones!    Mine is a La Cie 1 Terabyte portable hard drive and I would NOT have to put it in checked baggage - it's smaller than many of the larger smart phones out there.

Mine too...I've been using a solid state Samsung T3 drive, its smaller and lighter than my iPhone SE.

1 person likes this

@offshorebirder and @janzin I too wondered about the whole size thing. One hears anything larger than a phone has to be checked, but many lists of those things that need to be checked almost everything other than a phone is on there. I wondered about small P&S (I always take one since I can slip it into a pocket while I'm wandering up to the main lodge to grab something to drink, for example, and don't want to lug my other camera). Would that be allowed? I can't find anything that says it would be. I guess we'll just have to rely on travelers to come back and let us know, like the person with the lenses, what actually is and isn't allowed.

1 person likes this