lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

219 posts in this topic

@kilopascal

Thanks so much for the update. It's comforting to know that the flight schedule was still manageable and that you were allowed to carry on your lenses. Thanks also for the warning about their weighing carry-ons. We're right at the tipping point of 7 kg, so a little creativity may be in order. 

I hope you had a great trip to Tanzania and that you'll indulge us with a trip report sometime in the future. 

On 6/12/2017 at 7:10 PM, amybatt said:

I got all excited when Rudy Maxa (travel writer and tv host) posted this today on Facebook, but it really doesn't say anything we didn't already figure out on our own.

Thanks for sharing that article @amybatt

But I disagree with some of Andy Williams' advice in his "Airline Laptop Ban Guide for Photographers".    He seems to think that portable hard drives would have to be in checked luggage.  But some are the same size or smaller than smartphones!    Mine is a La Cie 1 Terabyte portable hard drive and I would NOT have to put it in checked baggage - it's smaller than many of the larger smart phones out there.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, offshorebirder said:

But I disagree with some of Andy Williams' advice in his "Airline Laptop Ban Guide for Photographers".    He seems to think that portable hard drives would have to be in checked luggage.  But some are the same size or smaller than smartphones!    Mine is a La Cie 1 Terabyte portable hard drive and I would NOT have to put it in checked baggage - it's smaller than many of the larger smart phones out there.

Mine too...I've been using a solid state Samsung T3 drive, its smaller and lighter than my iPhone SE.

1 person likes this

@offshorebirder and @janzin I too wondered about the whole size thing. One hears anything larger than a phone has to be checked, but many lists of those things that need to be checked almost everything other than a phone is on there. I wondered about small P&S (I always take one since I can slip it into a pocket while I'm wandering up to the main lodge to grab something to drink, for example, and don't want to lug my other camera). Would that be allowed? I can't find anything that says it would be. I guess we'll just have to rely on travelers to come back and let us know, like the person with the lenses, what actually is and isn't allowed.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, lmonmm said:

Interesting article on CNN today- perhaps future respite from the electronics ban?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/politics/dhs-aviation-security-measures/index.html

Interesting. But I wonder if all airports will be able to enact these more stringent requirements, and what the time frame will be. And what will happen if they don't/can't--will they then instate a ban against these airports? It will be costly for some.  Well we should know more specifics later as the announcement is supposed to be today.

Edited by janzin
1 person likes this

Oh please let that be the case!  As long as I can keep my camera with me!

1 person likes this

I was watching the announcement on CNN until it froze on me just now.  Looking online, I found this which makes it sound like the electronics ban is over, in lieu of other security measures.  I'll hold my breath until I read it officially though.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately can't read the Wapo article as I don't subscribe to them. I've read a variety of reports on this.... 21 days to comply with electronics screening and 120 days for further security measures (aka torture for travelers). Another article said if an airline didn't comply that electronics couldn't be in the cabin or cargo (that one made me chuckle). I guess give it a couple days and see what comes out of all of this. Poor Kenya- just spent how many years jumping through hoops and along comes a few more? Or, maybe they're ahead of the game. At least it showed a glimmer of hope that this would not become a worldwide ban. Though another article said they'd be rolling out security measures for the next couple of years (GRRRRR :angry:  )

Hmmm- this article mentions the banning of electronics from cabin and cargo as well...this is pretty freaky...But only if airlines don't comply.  Interesting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/06/28/dhs-tightens-airline-security-electronics-international-flights/436123001/

Well that's a pretty good incentive for airlines to comply. I can't imagine many travelers who would fly with NO electronics, not even in checked bags...no phone, no camera, no laptop...I know I wouldn't...I'd change my destination...and certainly for business travelers it would be impossible.

But I would think the onus is really on the airport, not the individual airline. The airline isn't going to supply sniffer dogs...the airport (i.e. government) would have to. So entire countries could be cut off from flying to the USA!

Because I love to worry...what exactly do you do if you arrive at the airport and learn that your electronics can't go in either the cabin or the hold?

I'd suggest taking every precaution to ensure you don't find yourself in that position - by that I mean contacting both airport and airline (and travel agent should you use one) close to your date of travel (and then again the day before travel) and seek clear, unequivocal guidance on the situation.

Posted (edited)

In terms of airlines not complying and costing you the ability to carry on or check electronics: as @Whyone said - be sure to check on things completely before booking with an airline.  

In the short term, I imagine all the large airlines like Emirates, BA, Delta, KLM, etc. will have the necessary security in place for USA-bound flights from the beginning.  In the long term, I doubt many airlines flying into the USA would stay in business long if they did not comply.  They would lose such a large percentage of travelers...

As a result of all this, it is probably a very good time to be in the sniffer dog business!  

Edited by offshorebirder
1 person likes this

The laptop ban on Etihad Airlines through Abu Dhabi was lifted today.  Can others be far behind?

4 people like this

@amybatt  Wow- that didn't take long. Where did you see this? Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great news!  It was just announced that the laptop ban is no longer in place for Emirates and Turkish airlines.

3 people like this

Excellent!!!

I've already been on Emirates and Turkish looking for flights to Lusaka for June 2018!   They aren't available yet but it's good to know this is no longer a problem!

1 person likes this

Yay!!!!  Emirates/ Etihad back on track ...........  

1 person likes this

So glad this appears to be behind us, albeit a little too late for us.

We were in Johannesburg earlier this week, rerouting on our return home to the U.S. via London.  Our British Airways flight from Johannesburg to London was as routine as ever, but it was interesting to look across the way to the gate where the South African Airways flight to New York was boarding.  All passengers had to line up for an individual pat-down, and following the pat-down, they then had to place their hand baggage on a table for inspection before they were allowed on the plane. Men were assigned male inspectors, and women, female inspectors.

At our American Airlines connecting gate in London, airport personnel had a preprinted list of passengers who had been selected (apparently at random) for the same thing -- a pat-down and search of their hand baggage, but not all passengers were subjected to this additional security protocol as they were in Johannesburg.

Not one security officer ever so much as batted an eyelash at our two carry-on Pelican cases loaded with camera equipment.  If this is the "new normal," it certainly appears to be something I can live with.  It definitely strikes me as a more rational approach to the threat that has been expressed.

Speaking of the Pelican cases, we really liked them.  In fact, it was nice to not have to hoist and lug around our camera backpacks (which were packed in our duffel bags), but as someone earlier in this thread alluded, they do automatically say, "Expensive stuff in here."  A number of people automatically knew we were carrying camera gear and asked us if we were professional photographers (not!), so we did feel compelled to watch those cases like a hawk when we weren't carrying them around.  Hopefully we will never have to check them.

4 people like this

Looking forward to hearing all about the gorillas @Alexander33.  I leave in 36 days.

1 person likes this