lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

202 posts in this topic

Update about Europe to US Proposed Electronic Ban

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued the following statement in response to reports about expanding the #LaptopBan:

C_iputLV0AE8Xk9.jpg
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has issued the following statement in response to reports about expanding the #LaptopBan:
C_iputLV0AE8Xk9.jpg
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thank you! We're good for now, I guess. Now I wonder whether to bring my electronics when I leave this weekend, and risk it going into effect while I'm gone.

Edited by amybatt

Posted (edited)

@@madaboutcheetah, not to mention flights within the US? I thought there were some baddy bad guys within the borders too!

Edited by amybatt

Thank you! We're good for now, I guess. Now I wonder whether to bring my electronics when I leave this weekend, and risk it going into effect while I'm gone.

I have the same dilemma...might leave my personal iPad at home.

@@SSF556, now that I'm already there in my head, I might leave the iPad at home too. I bought an actual hard copy book to replace the Kindle! LOL! But I might bring my point and shoot camera. I don't want my only photos to be iPhone photos.

1 person likes this

@@amybatt... wouldn't your iPad (if you do have to check it) be covered under your homeowner's insurance if it's stolen?

Was it ever explained whether lenses are included in the in-cabin ban? If so, I may have to take out a rider for my new lens.

2 people like this

This is my theory.....the US implemented a ban from what I think are predominately Muslim countries (feel free to correct me- I am not current on religious geography- I'm an atheist). Trumps travel ban is in court again and his own words about Muslim bans have been held against him during previous appeals. Recently, any reference to that has been scrubbed from his campaign website. But, just to be sure, maybe he's saying let's just pick a geographic area and add that to the ban so no one can say it's targeting Muslims. I read something yesterday or today that travel groups, airlines etc are putting up a fight about this knowing this is going to cause all kinds of problems which may be why it still hasn't been made official. And I haven't heard a peep about places like SA being part of the ban. Good, since Johannesburg is the only airport where I've ever had anything stolen out of my duffel. @amybatt Isn't the average P&S smaller than a phone? I thought the whole thing was anything bigger than a phone? @AmyT there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of clear info on lenses vs camera bodies. Your best bet is to call the airline you are flying, maybe a couple of times, to see what they tell you. What a massive mess of confusion this is. One of my co-workers is flying to England in a little over a week and she didn't know anything about this so I've alerted her and she is beginning to rethink what to take. What I also find ironic about all this is that more planes were starting to do away with the back-of-seat screen as so many people carry their own electronic devices. Anyone want to start a new conspiracy theory that it's the manufacturers of said back-of-seat screens that started this whole mess? :) Just kidding of course. None of this makes any sense. A bomb in the cargo hold is just as lethal as a bomb in the cabin. I am so tired of other people worrying about the bazillion ways I can die and trying to stop that. Ok- rant is over :)

1 person likes this

@@AmyT I'm not sure if that's covered! I'll try to find my policy and in the meantime have a call into my agent. I leave Monday so may not have an answer in time. I'd have to wipe a lot of apps off it before I go though, if it does get lifted I don't want anyone maxing out my Amazon account. In answer to your question, I don't think they said anything about lenses. That may be your answer, is to pack the body (which I'd still not want to do anyway) and carry the lenses on board. There's nothing electronic in a lens, right? They're just glass?

@Imonmm, yes my 10 year old P&S is about the size of an iPhone S which is why I might take that.

1 person likes this

Remember too that its only coming back into the USA that's a problem. So you can enjoy your iPad on the way over. Or pick up a cheap Kindle-- the kind for just books. As for a point and shoot camera, I can't think of any small enough, but if you take one, you can at least remove the compact flash or SD card etc to carry on your person on the return trip, so you don't lose your photos. A small camera probably would fall under the $500 or so allowed by most insurance policy coverages. And remember, its only coming home that's an issue.

I'm really much more concerned with larger cameras with lenses or obviously in my case, lots of cameras and photo gear. I've read conflicting reports as to whether lenses are getting through. On one thread on FlyerTalk a guy was able to take his lenses (but not the camera bodies) on an Emirates flight, but it required some discussion. This article mentions that lenses DID need to be checked. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/protecting-cameras-electronics-ban/ I think its probably safest to assume that it will all need to be checked.

I'd really be less worried about laptops and ipads, it seems on Emirates and Ethiad at least they are gate-checking with special packaging and special service.

Thankfully on my next trip I am flying SAA through JNB but if the ban should extend--as @Imomnn mentioned, JNB is absolutely notorious for theft. :o I'm praying that they don't extend the ban worldwide. Really not sure what I'd do! But, as its just coming home...I think the critical thing will be to make sure to have a separate insurance rider for any and all camera gear. At least I'd have it for the trip, if its stolen/lost/damaged on the way home at least its insured. And I'd take my photos on a solid state hard portable drive which is smaller than a phone.

3 people like this

We are looking at purchasing Pelican cases in the event we end up having to check at the last minute. If push came to shove, I'd prefer to ship my equipment back home through a reliable shipping company that I could have confidence in with regard to packing protocols.

What's really frustrating is the absolute chaotic handling of this entire situation. (And why is it that I'm surprised after the initial iteration of this?). CNN is reporting that Delta had a notice posted at its Cincinnati hub that beginning tomorrow anything larger than a cell phone would be prohibited on return flights from Europe -- a response to its Cincinnati-Paris service. The sign was abruptly removed and Delta apologized for the confusion. Oops.

The way this is being handled -- and the complete lack of logic and preparation being applied -- is just typical of the current U.S. administration. I certainly want airline safety to be emphasized first and foremost, but I'm having a very hard time in gaining any confidence that the current administration has the capability or steadfastness to manage anything close to that.

So sad, to borrow the words of a certain political figure.

5 people like this

@@janzin...can't we take the lenses off of the cameras? Then, take the lenses with you and check in the camera bodies?

@@janzin...can't we take the lenses off of the cameras? Then, take the lenses with you and check in the camera bodies?

Unfortunately, until someone comes out and says lenses are not covered (and there does not appear to be a reason why they should be, but you can see why someone might think they could be an issue) then you would be at the mercy of an individual's interpretation of what "electronic devices" are and that person is more likley than not to decide to err on the side of caution. The link @@janzin posted explains it pretty well. I am sure it will become clearer quite quickly if the ban goes worldwide or even extends to Europe. Journalists are certainly going to be among those who really want to know!

1 person likes this

@@janzin, thank you for that link; I keep trying to "like" it again. It is a great recap and the image alone of all of the camera gear at the airport check in counter helped to put the dilemma into perspective for me. Better for me to err on the side of caution than to fret about it anymore.

1 person likes this

As noted above--while that would SEEM to make sense--it may be up to the whim of the security person. I've read conflicting reports. The bottom line is, unless there is a policy explicitly spelled out, be prepared to check everything :(:angry:

I'm going to buy a Pelican case and be done with it. Either I can carry it on, or I can check it at the gate.

Now for the important questions. Do I buy a stand out color so I can find it in a lineup, or do I go with black and pretend it's paperwork? Do I get the 1525 Air or the 1510 with wheels? ;)

Decisions, decisions.

1 person likes this

NBC News last night had a feature on this and said a decision is likely in the next 2 weeks. They pointed out everything here about lithium batteries, etc. But I find the one thing that 99% of these stories miss is the point about cameras. The focus seems to be only on laptops/tablets/e-readers.

I'm just going with a phone and very small P&S to Paris this coming week. Maybe being without my iPad will be good and keep me in a relative news blackout, which as I found out on safari, is really good for the soul, especially given the news cycles in the US now! I'll wait and see how this plays out for my 2 weeks in Italy this fall, where I will want my good camera and my iPad...

4 people like this

Looks like EU officials convinced the Americans to hold off on a unilateral implementation last week:

http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-call-with-us-buys-time-on-wider-airline-electronics-ban/

Another report I read stated that a meeting to discuss this issue further is being scheduled for Wednesday in Brussels. At the very least, I hope that if measures are taken (and most prognosticators are still betting on it), the rules will be clear and the rollout will be more orderly than what we saw in March.

As our departure date gets closer and closer, I just don't see any way around our taking the precaution to purchase two Pelican camera cases in a size that is within most airlines' carry-on restrictions and taking those with us in lieu of our backpacks.

The most stressful aspect of this situation is being in the dark and simply not knowing what is going to happen.

2 people like this

@@Alexander33, an alternative could be to get a Pelican case large enough to hold your filled backpack, then have the case stored while you're on safari. I agree, though, the not knowing if/when is the difficult part. We leave in less than a month and even if the new regulations aren't in place before we leave, they might be before we return.

1 person likes this

Los Angeles Times is reporting:

"An official who attended Wednesday’s [today's] meeting told the Associated Press that an extended ban to include Europe was “off the table” for now. The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Wednesday saying only that further discussions with European Union officials will continue next week in Washington, D.C."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-laptop-ban-alternative-20170517-story.html

Fingers crossed......

3 people like this

Oh crap- now there is a story on CNN saying they may expand the ban to outbound flights as well (as in US to other places)...this just gets worse and worse. I can't post links on my home computer...could someone do that please?

@Imonmm... I can't find the story online. Maybe it will pop up tomorrow.

1 person likes this

Ugh- it's right there on CNN's website. I wish I could post links- My Win7 just doesn't work here. Thanks for trying though. I did find it when I googled "DHS laptop ban".

@AmyT Thanks for finding it. Not a peep today though. What a horror show. If this keeps going the way it's going I'm going to have to invest in some serious luggage...just to get to my Dad's in Baltimore. :(

Posted (edited)

"U.S. decision on expanded laptop ban not imminent: Homeland Security"

From Reuters, May 24, 2017:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airlines-electronics-idUSKBN18K2AP

It's still frustrating to hear this referred to as only a "laptop ban." A lot of the uninformed public in the U.S. feels like those complaining are like spoiled brats. "Why can't they just read a book for a few hours?"

In the meantime, two Pelican Air cases arrived last week, which we will custom outfit for our camera equipment (with room for extra bubble wrap). They're small enough for carry-on, and I still very much hope we don't end up having to check these at any point. But if we do, at least they will offer more protection than our camera backpacks.

Also, there are reports that the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is trying out new tests for a more intensive scrutiny of carry-on electronics, starting at 10 domestic airports:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-24/laptop-tablet-ban-ruled-out-for-flights-leaving-u-s-airports

Perhaps this will be the wave of the future. It makes sense to me. If it was considered unsafe for lithium-ion batteries to be checked and stowed in the hold before the electronics ban was implemented on March 23, then it's just as unsafe now.

Edited by Alexander33
3 people like this